The all-new "HELP! I have an Audacity problem" thread

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
blochter

Post by blochter »

just a simple question, but does audacity 2.0 require you to download Lame, or does it automatically do that for you? I'm following the video step by step and my computer skipped that step I guess??? I don't know if its already saving it as MP3 files or not... :hmm:
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

You need to download LAME. It'll direct you to do that when you try to export to MP3.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

blochter wrote:just a simple question, but does audacity 2.0 require you to download Lame, or does it automatically do that for you? I'm following the video step by step and my computer skipped that step I guess??? I don't know if its already saving it as MP3 files or not... :hmm:
This video? Installing Audacity. It has something about LAME I think ....... Image
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hi! I am using Audacity 2.0 (and Linux Ubuntu). I tried to do some editing today and realized my keyboard shortcuts aren't working (though they were working last time I used Audacity...). I checked the Preferences:Keyboard and they seem all there. I rebooted my system but no difference. What do you think I should check?? When you're used to the magic of keyboard shortcuts, you just can't go back!!!! It's uncivilized!!! :P

edit: I also tried unistalling and reinstalling audacity. Nothing changed :|
The only key that works seems to be the Delete key, but ctrl+X/C/V, Z, C, R, P and others are dead...
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Rapunzelina wrote:Hi! I am using Audacity 2.0 (and Linux Ubuntu). I tried to do some editing today and realized my keyboard shortcuts aren't working (though they were working last time I used Audacity...). I checked the Preferences:Keyboard and they seem all there. I rebooted my system but no difference. What do you think I should check?? When you're used to the magic of keyboard shortcuts, you just can't go back!!!! It's uncivilized!!! :P

The only key that works seems to be the Delete key, but ctrl+X/C/V, Z, C, R, P and others are dead...
GASP! Yes, that would be horrible as well as uncivilized !!! I vaguely remember that happening to me but think I had accidentally clicked default and had to reset them all again. Other than that it is a mystery to me too. I wish you well though; I couldn't live without my many shortcuts.

here is a dancing bannana to take your mind off your troubles Image
sonnethaiku

Post by sonnethaiku »

I may also need a dancing banana, Phil, or a banana split if you have one. Heck, I may need them both.

I'm also using Linux Ubuntu, and was trying to edit a track in Audacity when I suddenly realized I could only highlight units of seconds at a time on the ruler, not smaller. This is GHASTLY and I know this weekend I was taking out itty bitty teeny weeny minutia of time (such as the loud middle section of an "esss"). I was playing around with Audacity tonight (trying to learn how to isolate a blooper to share with you guys) and I must have toggled SOMETHING to trigger this horrendous horrible horror.

I can't seem to find an answer on the Audacity wiki, but also I don't know what most of the jargon is yet, so I might have driven right past my turn-off and not realized it.
~ Chessie Joy
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

There is a "Snap to" box on one of the toolbars. (Right beside where the numbers indicate the start and/or length of the selection.) I'm thinking you've accidentally checked it. It should be empty.
Bev

There's nothing you can't prove if your outlook is only sufficiently limited. - Lord Peter Wimsey
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam - Popeye, the sailor man
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice - Neil Peart
sonnethaiku

Post by sonnethaiku »

That fixed it! Thank you *so much!*
~ Chessie Joy
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

You see? Darvinia knew the answer! Here is your dancing banana of happiness Image. Keep playing with Audacity; it is a wonderful program. :thumbs:
sonnethaiku

Post by sonnethaiku »

A dancing banana! Keep Doleing them out, Chiquito. I will take all the dancing bananas there are to be had.
~ Chessie Joy
sonnethaiku

Post by sonnethaiku »

Rapunzelina wrote:Hi! I am using Audacity 2.0 (and Linux Ubuntu). I tried to do some editing today and realized my keyboard shortcuts aren't working (though they were working last time I used Audacity...). I checked the Preferences:Keyboard and they seem all there. I rebooted my system but no difference. What do you think I should check?? When you're used to the magic of keyboard shortcuts, you just can't go back!!!! It's uncivilized!!! :P

Any luck, Rapunzelina? Do your keyboard shortcuts work outside of Audacity?
~ Chessie Joy
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

I, too, would like to know if a fix is found, Rapunzelina. I use Ubuntu and two computers. I do most of my editing on one of them and have no problems with keyboard shortcuts. On the other, I set some to match (specifically I use I, O, P for 'Find zero crossing, delete, paste, respectively) and the I and O work fine but the P never has! And in the Edit menu it shows that P is my shortcut. And if I try to set P to anything else it tells me "Oh no! you can't do that! P is the shortcut for paste!"

Silly Audacity!
Bev

There's nothing you can't prove if your outlook is only sufficiently limited. - Lord Peter Wimsey
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam - Popeye, the sailor man
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice - Neil Peart
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

I will let you know if something changes! Right now I'm staying at another place and using a Windows PC, where, ironically enough, it's the mouse that has the problem :shock: It keeps disconnecting (and I have to disconnect reconnect the cable, and, when that doesn't work, restart my whole system, to reactivate it), and I'm still trying to figure out if it's a mouse problem or a motherboard ( :cry: ) problem...
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

sonnethaiku wrote:A dancing banana! Keep Doleing them out, Chiquito. I will take all the dancing bananas there are to be had.
grooooooan
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

sonnethaiku wrote:A dancing banana! Keep Doleing them out, Chiquito. I will take all the dancing bananas there are to be had.

You find them APeeling? well here are a BUNCH ImageImageImageImage