The all-new "HELP! I have an Audacity problem" thread

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Yes I did. And it didn't help to bump it back.
Pam
"Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm."

Robert Louis Stevenson
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Did you do any noise reduction that might have affected the volume? (or Low/High pass filter)
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

No. The noise reduction didn’t affect the volume.

Pam
"Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm."

Robert Louis Stevenson
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Did you notice the volume change after exporting? If so, it might be what Tricia suggested happened. When you accidentally bump the left-hand sliders, it doesn't show on the wave-form, but it takes effect on play-back and when exporting the recording.

Have you saved an .aup file?

ETA: If there's no going back, does it sound OK if you perform compression to be able to amplify without clipping?
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Rapunzelina,

No. It happened right in the middle of editing. The file suddenly went soft.

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I don't know if we could come up with a reason remotely like this. Are you able to salvage the file? If not, do you want help doing so? You could export it as FLAC (which is lossless, no loss of quality) and upload it, and we could tinker with it.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Is it too late to hit "undo" until you get back to where you were? Or if there's no going back, does it sound OK if you apply compression to be able to amplify without clipping?
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Too late to hit undo.
I’ve never used compression.

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

I think this video explains Compression if you'd like to try it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fKYYj6HMZU

or what Tricia said above if you need more help :)
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Thank you, TriciaG and Rapunzelina,

I will learn about Compression.

My best,

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

TriciaG and Rapunzelina,

Compression seems to have done the trick!

Thank you!

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

You could try exporting the file as a FLAC, closing Audacity, re-opening Audacity and importing from the FLAC. That worked for me, when I had problems with uncorrectably low volume a while ago.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Thanks, Peter.

I will take a screen shot of this in case I need it next time.

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
Shasta

Post by Shasta »

I had some problems with Audacity and decided to trash it and install it anew. Now as I record the track doesn't follow along, i.e. the first 8.5 seconds of recording just remain there. The same thing happens while listening to a recorded track. This has never happened to me before. I don't think I want to record until I can fix this problem.
Russ Bruno
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Shasta wrote: October 16th, 2020, 2:54 pm I had some problems with Audacity and decided to trash it and install it anew. Now as I record the track doesn't follow along, i.e. the first 8.5 seconds of recording just remain there. The same thing happens while listening to a recorded track. This has never happened to me before. I don't think I want to record until I can fix this problem.
Preferences / Tracks and make sure "auto-scroll if head unpinned" is checked??
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine