The all-new "HELP! I have an Audacity problem" thread

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
MagicMan

Post by MagicMan »

ruthw wrote: January 15th, 2018, 3:58 am Hi everyone, n00b here. I use a chromebook and it wont let me install audacity as it isn't compatible with chrome os. Help, anyone? Thanks in advance!
According to the audacity official forum, they say it will not due to the cromebook is set up for cloud based programs and they simply do not have the hd space.
It would require WxWidgets to be ported to Chrome OS. It would also require all other libraries reuired by Audacity are either ported to Chrome OS, or Chrome OS compatible alternatives found. Even then, Audacity will be severely limited on Chromebooks because Audacity works with high quality uncompressed audio data that requires a lot of space, but Chromebooks typically only have a few tens of GB of "disk" space (because Chromebooks are primarily designed for cloud based applications). Audacity is not suitable for cloud based operation because of the very large amount of audio data that needs to be moved around in real-time.
However, this video may provide you with a solution. If it still will not work for you, check out these recording work arounds for cromebook. :wink: https://www.google.com/search?q=audio+recording+chromebook
Ealswythe

Post by Ealswythe »

Le silence va plus vite à reculons.

https://librivox.org/reader/11772
ruthw

Post by ruthw »

I downloaded WavePad onto my tablet and it seems to work ok. Waiting on a microphone to arrive from amazon so I can get started. Thanks for the assistance!
Ealswythe

Post by Ealswythe »

ruthw wrote: January 15th, 2018, 12:42 pm I downloaded WavePad onto my tablet and it seems to work ok. Waiting on a microphone to arrive from amazon so I can get started. Thanks for the assistance!
You're welcome! What microphone are you getting from Amazon? I got the Blue Snowball Ice from them, and I love it!
:D
Le silence va plus vite à reculons.

https://librivox.org/reader/11772
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

I've just downloaded the new Audacity (2.2.1) onto my MacBook, but I can't get the De-Clicker and De-Esser plugins to work.

Any thoughts? I really like the De-Clicker in particular!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I recently installed 2.2.1 on Windows, and it works for me. Did you enable it (Effects/Manage)?
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
ScottC

Post by ScottC »

Newbie needing some technical assistance with Audacity.

Got my Microphone all set up, working fine via my PC.

I've downloaded Audacity and when I try and record an Audio Sample of my voice although I can see the Mic Levels moving at the top of the Display, there is no Visual Display of my Recording.

Same when I try and play it back.

Is this because I have the Rec Volume Controls to low or something?

Can't seem to find anything on Audacity itself about this.

Help!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Possibly. The mic levels display that is moving - what is the highest level it gets to, or about where does it peak?

Try moving the mic slider all the way up and see if that makes a difference.
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Hi Scott,

a. Make sure that the correct microphone is selected for Audacity. It should show up in the "device toolbar."

b. The levels in Audacity may indeed need to be adjusted. When you click on the level indicator, and start talking into your mic, move the mic slider to get the levels to reach -9 to -6 dB. That's the level that will get decent volume of your recording.

c. Click on the record button.

There are instructional videos in our Wiki: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/User:Philchenevert . There is probably something basic that you've missed...
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hi Scott,

may I also point out a little quirk in Audacity regarding microphone recognition:

Make sure your microphone is plugged in BEFORE you open Audacity. I noticed that if I open the program before plugging in the mic, Audacity will not recognize it. In which case, close the program, plug in the mic, then reopen and then you should be able to select your microphone from the drop-down menu next to the small microphone icon.

At least on my computer, this is how I need to do it. Maybe that's the solution for your problem as well. :hmm:

Sonia
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Actually, there is no need to restart Audacity. You can go to "Transport -> Rescan Audio Devices", I think it's called.
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Elizabby wrote: February 5th, 2018, 12:28 am I've just downloaded the new Audacity (2.2.1) onto my MacBook, but I can't get the De-Clicker and De-Esser plugins to work.
I recently installed 2.2.1 on Windows, and it works for me. Did you enable it (Effects/Manage)?
This is the problem - I downloaded both and put them into the "plugin" folder - everything else in there seems to work. But they don't appear on the "Enable Plugins" menu, so can't be enabled. I've tried restarting the computer and Audacity, don't know what else to do!

They work on my old computer, but my microphone doesn't - so my other alternative would be that I'd need some way of transporting the huge Audacity sound files from one computer to the other for editing. :(
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

Elizabby wrote: February 5th, 2018, 7:39 pm
Elizabby wrote: February 5th, 2018, 12:28 am I've just downloaded the new Audacity (2.2.1) onto my MacBook, but I can't get the De-Clicker and De-Esser plugins to work.
This is the problem - I downloaded both and put them into the "plugin" folder - everything else in there seems to work. But they don't appear on the "Enable Plugins" menu, so can't be enabled. I've tried restarting the computer and Audacity, don't know what else to do!

They work on my old computer, but my microphone doesn't - so my other alternative would be that I'd need some way of transporting the huge Audacity sound files from one computer to the other for editing. :(
You could copy the files on to a memory stick (probably a 10GB stick might do?) and then copy from there onto the other computer.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Very weird. Yes, in the meantime, I'd say export the raw (or partly edited) file to FLAC, which is lossless yet more compact than WAV or the original Audacity files. Bring the FLAC to your other computer for editing.

You may want to ask over in the Audacity forum to see if there's a way to get the plugin to work on your computer. I think the link introducing us to the plugin is a link to their forum, and a thread; I'd ask in there.
brianna

Post by brianna »

I don't know what to do, my Audacity is hungry!

after I finish a file I always leave the requiered seconds at the beginning and at the end.
However, after I upload it, both seconds ( beginning and end) disappeared!

Can anybody help me,please? I am becoming the PL's nightmare!

Thank you,

Brianna
Men work together,whether they work together or apart. (R.Frost)