The all-new "HELP! I have an Audacity problem" thread

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Shasta

Post by Shasta » October 16th, 2020, 3:24 pm

Thank you. Actually, I was about to post to say I figured out the problem. When I clicked on the green arrow at the far left I checked "Update display while playing" and that did the trick.
Russ Bruno

BeckyWTX

Post by BeckyWTX » December 20th, 2020, 12:45 pm

New user of Audacity.
After editting recording BEFORE Normalize Effect the volume of the saved mp3 is 88.8dB. AFTER Normalize Effect used on the recording then saved as mp3 Volume is 92.1 (beyond Librivox range limits.)
We're always supposed to Normalize the recording, right? Suggestions/guidance?
Thank you pros!
BeckyWTX

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » December 20th, 2020, 12:52 pm

If you're at the right volume without normalizing, then don't normalize. You don't need it. (And as your experience shows, normalizing doesn't always get you to the target volume.)

I don't normalize at all - neither normalize nor amplify - because my input volume is right in the target area.
Bulwer-Lytton novel: The Caxtons
Adventure/Travel: Across Mongolian Plains
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5
Adult dog stories: Best Dog Stories

KevinS

Post by KevinS » December 20th, 2020, 1:12 pm

BeckyWTX wrote:
December 20th, 2020, 12:45 pm
New user of Audacity.
After editting recording BEFORE Normalize Effect the volume of the saved mp3 is 88.8dB. AFTER Normalize Effect used on the recording then saved as mp3 Volume is 92.1 (beyond Librivox range limits.)
Thank you pros!
BeckyWTX
Normalize only sets the peak amplitude (and, optionally, corrects any DC bias.)

TriciaG is correct. Why use it if you don't need to?

I still use the two steps of ReplayGain, however. I don't really need to, but sometimes my settings get thrown off. Using Zoom always shifts my volume down, for instance. I don't always remember to correct this. Still, the visuals should warn me about a low volume, but I'm kind of dense when it comes to all this.

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina » December 20th, 2020, 2:24 pm

BeckyWTX wrote:
December 20th, 2020, 12:45 pm
New user of Audacity.
Thank you pros!
BeckyWTX
If you'd like to use Normalize to remove the DC offset, you can uncheck the second check-box, so Normalize will not change the volume at all. Just check the first check-box only.