The all-new "HELP! I have an Audacity problem" thread

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Nedge

Post by Nedge » January 6th, 2019, 12:08 pm

And the microphone is a blue Snowball Ice.
Nan Dodge

"A hundred years from now? All new people." -- Anne LaMott

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » January 6th, 2019, 12:15 pm

Have you tried looking at the Blue's website? Have others ever reported Snowballs giving them similar troubles?

When I mentioned your keyboard or mouse I meant it in response to your statement about Audacity's "galloping out of control", not about the clicks.
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please

Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 » January 12th, 2019, 11:24 am

tovarisch wrote:
January 6th, 2019, 11:46 am
Piotrek81 wrote:
January 6th, 2019, 11:11 am
ToddHW wrote: Audacity will NOT recognize something plugged in AFTER Audacity is started. So you have to plug things in and then start Audacity. A nuisance when you are trying to solve problems...
I realize this. :) Unfourtunately, that's not it. Maybe it's a sign that I need a new mike. I have used this one for several years.
It takes two main subsystems to record - the mic and the computer. Can you try your mic on a different computer?
I just did. No mic detected on the second laptop either.
Come help us record The Deluge THE DELUGE IS BACK!
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » January 12th, 2019, 12:08 pm

Sorry about your loss, Piotrek. :( At least you know that your computer and Audacity are (likely) OK.
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please

MerryShari

Post by MerryShari » January 12th, 2019, 4:29 pm

My recordings are turning out with the volume being too low. I have the microphone slider all the way to the right. I noticed that there is a Gain slider to the left of the waveform. It is set at the center. Should I nudge it a bit to the right? Will that help my volume?

Thanks for your help!

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » January 12th, 2019, 4:42 pm

You could either simply amplify all your recordings, or you could try the gain slider. I'm no expert with the gain slider, so I could be wrong. But IMO, the problems with the gain slider are:
- You cannot see or test how high it goes. The gain (I think) only applies to the exported file.
- You could cause clipping (going over maximum, causing distortion) without knowing it.

Feel free to experiment with it if you like, but I'd think amplifying would give you more control over the results.