The all-new "HELP! I have an Audacity problem" thread

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » October 19th, 2018, 9:30 pm

Mayah92 wrote:
October 19th, 2018, 9:10 pm
Hi everybody,

I have a problem, I accidentally closed audacity without register my files and cannot find them when I open audacity again. I had at least 5 sections recorded there. If anyone can help me with that I would appreciate.
Thanks a lot!
Mayah
Did you save them? Not sure what you mean by registering them. They are saved as .aup files and must have the data files associated to open again.
Phil Chenevert, The LibriVox Video Guy
You'd think hip-hop music would have more bunnies in it - but no. :hmm: .

Need Help? Lots of Helpful Videos Here

Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia » October 19th, 2018, 11:52 pm

Nedge wrote:
October 19th, 2018, 1:09 pm
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/pretty_angry.mp3

Bev, have at it. :) When I look at the waves and can't distinguish the sound from the words, I pretty much give up. I was just wondering what others do.

Nan
I played around with your file (I use the same technique as Phil) and I agree with Tricia. In that instance I would re-record the phrase. The noise is too long and cutting it out takes out too much of the word. However, I also agree with Phil and don't think it is so distracting that it needs fixing at all, if you can let it go.
Nedge wrote: It's just a random noise. a THUNK. An example of the kind of thing which happens to drive me insane once in a while.
Me too!

P.S. I see you've already re-recorded it. :)
Bev

"I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam." - Popeye, the sailor man
"Everybody's got a mountain to climb" - Dickey Betts

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » October 20th, 2018, 6:38 am

Sorry to learn about that.

How did you do the five sections? All in one sitting? Were they all in one track? And, when you were closing Audacity, did it not prompt you to save the project?
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » October 20th, 2018, 9:16 am

Mayah, when you go to "File" in the Upper Menu Bar, there should be the option "Recent Files" (right beneath the "Open" button). If you have saved them recently, they should pop up, because it shows you at least a dozen of the latest files you had in Audacity.

It could be that you saved them in the wrong folder, that's why you can't find them anymore. But with "recent files" you should see them, regardless what folder they are in.

Sonia

Nedge

Post by Nedge » October 31st, 2018, 6:03 pm

I've got a small but audacious problem. Not only clicking, but rhythmic clicking having NOTHING to do with anything in the room -- it's not an air conditioner, a fan, a nervous tic, or an animal. It's also sporadic. Yet when it clicks, it clicks.

Here is a sample:

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/movealong.mp3

I can remove most of the clicks, but it is terribly time-consuming, and some of them occur within a word, which is annoying.

Can anyone help?

Thank you,

Nan
Nan Dodge

"A hundred years from now? All new people." -- Anne LaMott

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » October 31st, 2018, 6:33 pm

Nan,

If it is electrical interference (and sometimes our microphones, which are electric/electronic devices, are prone to it), you need to identify the source of it and turn its power off if possible.

I suggest, if you have a few minutes, do some experimenting. First off, prepare for a recording session (except you don't need a copy, you're not going to read anything). Turn Audacity on, your mic plugged and ready to go. Start recording and then just sit there and watch the track do its thing. Make sure you can see (by stretching the track window vertically) or perhaps hear (if you plug your headphones in and listen as Audacity records) when those clicks start to get into the track. What other things you notice around you? Has some appliance started (like the fridge or the heater)? If you unplug your headphones, can you hear those clicks in your room? Can they be environmental?

I hope you find the culprit. I used to have a "noisy" network router on my desk and the microphone that managed to register the router's clicks but only when used with a certain pattern (omni, I think it was). Since it didn't appear in cardioid pattern, I let it exist until I started hearing it there as well, then I had to hunt it down. I was surprised how clear my recording was when I turned that router off. :shock:

Good luck!
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » October 31st, 2018, 6:43 pm

Nedge wrote:
October 31st, 2018, 6:03 pm
I've got a small but audacious problem. Not only clicking, but rhythmic clicking having NOTHING to do with anything in the room -- it's not an air conditioner, a fan, a nervous tic, or an animal. It's also sporadic. Yet when it clicks, it clicks.

Here is a sample:

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/movealong.mp3

I can remove most of the clicks, but it is terribly time-consuming, and some of them occur within a word, which is annoying.
Can anyone help?
Thank you,
Nan
I did not hear any click inside of the words but at the end there were indeed those clicks at 530 hz . very strange. I used a notch filter set at 530 hz and they were inaudible to me. I have no idea what is causing them.
Phil Chenevert, The LibriVox Video Guy
You'd think hip-hop music would have more bunnies in it - but no. :hmm: .

Need Help? Lots of Helpful Videos Here