The all-new "HELP! I have an Audacity problem" thread

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
fvogel

Post by fvogel » October 5th, 2014, 7:10 pm

Hello,

Recently I started noticing short gaps in my recordings, only of a fraction of a second but they quickly got worse as my project got bigger to the point that anything I recorded was unusable. (For example, "This -brivox recording is the Publ- -omain.") The project isn't even very big, just 10 tracks of 5-10 minutes each.

So I started a new project and lowered the recording rate from 32 bit to 16 bit, since I read that it might help, and while recording I closed all other programs and minimized Audacity. But I still got a few tiny gaps here and there in my first recording in the new project, though I was able to fix them. Any ideas? And could it really have anything to do with the size of the project? I don't have a sample right now, but I can upload one next time I notice the problem, if anyone wants to hear it. Thanks.
-Felipe

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » October 5th, 2014, 7:41 pm

Felipe,

I'm confused by your statement
just 10 tracks of 5-10 minutes each.
Your sections in this project are 5-10 minutes long. Are you putting all of your sections into one Audacity .aup file as separate tracks?

I ask because I create a separate .aup file for each section in my projects. Then each .aup file has only one track.

Anyway, understanding that comment may help one of our Audacity experts troubleshoot your problem.

MaryAnn

fvogel

Post by fvogel » October 6th, 2014, 3:23 am

Right, I had been using one .aup file for all my sections in order to compare sections more easily. Maybe that's part of the problem (I do know it was taking longer and longer to open the project!), but I don't understand why it would still produce a few skips (though tiny) in the first track of the new project, after I had recorded several with no problems in the first project at 32-bit recording. Next time I record, I'll be sure not only to close other programs but check my processor usage also, to see if anything is getting in the way of Audacity running like it should.
-Felipe

RuthieG

Post by RuthieG » October 6th, 2014, 3:42 am

That is likely to be your problem. I see that you are using Windows 7. The recommended specs for Win 7 are 4GB RAM and 2 GHz processor.

Do look at the Task Manager to see what is running at the same time. Often many programs launch, unbeknownst to you, on StartUp, and it is worth also looking to see if you should stop some of them doing this. If you are not familiar with doing this, there is a useful explanatory article here.

Also ensure you have plenty of disk space on the drive where your Audacity Temp files are located. (On mine, it is C:\Users\Ruth\AppData\Local\Temp\audacity_temp.) While using Audacity, the program auto-saves every change to this directory, and this, especially with several tracks, can mount up to many GB.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding

Lucy_k_p

Post by Lucy_k_p » October 6th, 2014, 8:53 am

Also check that your mic is firmly plugged in and there are no problems with the cable. The best test in windows is to Start, Programs, Accessories and Sound Recorder. Record a section in there and see if you get the same problem - if you don't it's definitely an Audacity issue, probably related to the huge amount of memory it uses, if you do then it's a mic/connection problem.
So little space, so much to say.

fvogel

Post by fvogel » October 10th, 2014, 7:51 pm

Thanks MaryAnn, Ruth, and Lucy. :thumbs: I haven't had any problems ever since I started recording each track in a separate project file, closing all other programs, and making sure the mic is plugged in firmly.
-Felipe

Philalog

Post by Philalog » November 21st, 2014, 9:08 am

Help! Am new and have not yet been able to download Audacity successfully. After following instructions (so I thought) I got the message, "MP Player is downloading, following which a female voice kept advertising various things. Finally figured out how to silence her, then went back to Audacity, and got message, "If your download did not start, click here to try again." I did so but without success. What should I do now?

RuthieG

Post by RuthieG » November 21st, 2014, 9:20 am

You shouldn't be getting any voices (or any advertising) ;). Where were you downloading it from?

If you follow the instructions on http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Audacity_1-2-3 you should be able to download and install Audacity and LAME (which is needed to export your recording in MP3 format) without difficulty.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding

CherylMichele

Post by CherylMichele » April 9th, 2015, 1:10 pm

"HELP! I have an Audacity problem"

OK, here's the deal. My computer died and I had to get a new one. Sadly, I had to go to Windows 8.1 and when I reinstalled Audacity and LAME they are not the same versions that I have used in the past and now I "have an Audacity problem".

I have tried to look for the settings to enter into Audacity that will work with Librivox, but cannot find any for ver. 2.1.0. so I tried to find the older Audacity that I had used before, but can only find information that "Audacity 2.1.0 replaces all previous versions."

Can someone provide me with the settings or a link so that I can put the correct information into the software and record again? OR can someone provide me with a link to download an Audacity that we know will work with Librivox?

AND do I need to provide another 1-minute test with the new computer, Audacity and LAME? (same mic, headset and reader!) :wink:

Thanks for any assistance that can be given!!!!!!!!!!

carolb

Post by carolb » April 9th, 2015, 2:21 pm

Here you go, CherylMichele

http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Audacity_1-2-3

Audacity & Lame download instructions from our very own
'Guide for Listeners and Volunteers' (Librivox Wiki) - see blue band at top of your screen when you scroll up.

Yes, it wouldn't do any harm to provide another test, to make sure your computer hasn't got a horrible hum or something like that. :wink:

Good luck

Carol

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » April 17th, 2015, 4:06 pm

I just installed the ReplayGain effect into my Audacity. Can anyone tell me more about the slider bar that reads "Adjust Normalized Output"?
It goes from a negative 15 dB to a positive 15 dB. Can we presume that it should not be moved from zero?
Phil Chenevert, The LibriVox Video Guy
She danced like nobody was watching. But people were watching and she looked like bees were attacking her. .

Need Help? More sorta helpful Videos Here

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » April 17th, 2015, 4:22 pm

My plugin doesn't have that, so I'd say you don't need it.
Mystery stories: The Master of Mysteries
Kerner Report on 1967 race riots: LINK
Mussolini's speeches thru 1923: LINK
The Medici family history: LINK

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » April 17th, 2015, 4:38 pm

TriciaG wrote:My plugin doesn't have that, so I'd say you don't need it.
Yeah, I think it's been added in the latest edition but the explanation of what is does is almost nonexistent. They also added a 'normalize' option which actually changes the volume of a track. I think there was only the 'analyze' option originally. I am planning to do a video on downloading, installing and using it but there is a lot I don't i know yet. Any info would be very welcome.
Phil Chenevert, The LibriVox Video Guy
She danced like nobody was watching. But people were watching and she looked like bees were attacking her. .

Need Help? More sorta helpful Videos Here

fiddlesticks

Post by fiddlesticks » June 23rd, 2015, 9:39 am

I am trying to edit a chapter in audacity and the 'cut' 'paste' 'amplify' almost everything stops working until I click the x in the corner to exit out of audacity and then click cancel. It is really frustrating to have to do that almost every time I need to edit something. :evil:

I have had this problem ever since I downloaded audacity, but until I got a laptop I used my ipad for recording and editing, so it was not a big deal. any thoughts or suggestions?
~Tiffany

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » June 23rd, 2015, 10:00 am

fiddlesticks wrote:I am trying to edit a chapter in audacity and the 'cut' 'paste' 'amplify' almost everything stops working until ...
Can you identify what action causes Audacity to stop working? Are you able to cut or paste at least once? Twice, maybe? Do you import audio or do you open an Audacity project (an .aup file)?
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please