Help with French, please--The French pronunciation thread

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Cori

Post by Cori »

Actually, would it be okay to merge it to this thread? viewtopic.php?f=23&t=40008 If we keep a single thread for requests, then there's more chance Francophones will be following that thread and get a bat signal when it's posted. :D
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
y2kdaddio

Post by y2kdaddio »

Looks like a perfect spot Cori. I didn't even know that was available, after all this time. I can post it there if you would like or do you want to move it? Don't want to duplicate efforts.
Cori

Post by Cori »

I have the power :D Now all we need is a French-speaker!
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
LibbyG

Post by LibbyG »

I can read that for you! I'm not a native speaker, but I have been studying French since I was 11.
What am I up to?
Amelia Vol. 2 - 10 sections open
LibbyG

Post by LibbyG »

Voila: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/xx/frenchtext.mp3

I said "read by Libby Gohn" at the beginning of the file. You can use that as my voice credit, or read it yourself, whichever makes more sense.
What am I up to?
y2kdaddio

Post by y2kdaddio »

Thanks Libby!

How 'bout I give credit like this? At the beginning of the chapter we narrate, "Read by Tom Weiss. French passages read by Libby Gohn"
LibbyG

Post by LibbyG »

y2kdaddio wrote:Thanks Libby!

How 'bout I give credit like this? At the beginning of the chapter we narrate, "Read by Tom Weiss. French passages read by Libby Gohn"
That's fine!
What am I up to?
Maskmaker

Post by Maskmaker »

Hi everyone

I hope someone might be able to help me. I'm about to record a section from David Hume's 'An Enquiry Concerning the Principles of Morals', and I could do with someone more experienced in French to advise me on good pronunciation.

I have the phrase:
J'aime la vertu, sans rudesse; J'aime le plaisir, sans molesse; J'aime la vie, et n'en crains point la fin - ST.EVREMONT

I also have a reference in a footnote to 'Boileau' and 'Reflexion 10 sur Longin'.

I could have a go at these words and phrases, but if at all possible I'd really value anyone's assistance, maybe in the form of a short audio example.

Thank you so much.
Anthony
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Here you go, Anthony (sorry, I put Ted for some inexplicable reason). I'm not a native, but it should be OK.

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/xx/frenchbitsforTed.mp3

Ruth

PS Oh, I know why now... it is the Mask in the name :roll:.
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
Maskmaker

Post by Maskmaker »

Oh thanks so much for this Ruth. I wondered if it was me you meant. I'll answer to most things, but Ted is a first :-)

This is wonderful. Thank you.

Anthony
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Yes, sorry to confuse. I was thinking of Mask o'Glass (Ted Delorme) you see, who has just changed his forum name to GlassMask because the new software would no longer allow the apostrophe. I am easily confused...

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
Veggrower

Post by Veggrower »

Hi,

I've come across a short French sentence in a piece I'm recording, which contains two contractions of words which I can't interpret, not being a French speaker. The phrase appears on a sun-dial, and refers to the maker's name of the dial, and I think that the two shortened words may refer to the maker's (Victor Chevalier's) profession (or maybe not). If possible I'd like to read the whole phrase in full if anyone can work out what the words are, and I'd also appreciate any help with pronunciation :) .

The words seem to be: Jng r, and Brev t

and here's the page where they appear:

http://archive.org/stream/TheStrandMagazineAnIllustratedMonthly/TheStrandMagazine1893bVol.ViJul-dec#page/n319/mode/1up

Thanks for any help,

Garth
Loveday

Post by Loveday »

Ingénieur Breveté? I found this link: http://historydb.adlerplanetarium.org/signatures/search.pl?search=1;signature=chevalier;edit=1 (the fifth entry from the bottom seems to refer to that illustration, I got the suggestion from the next but one entry below). I think it means something like "chartered engineer".
It's the end of term, so I am back! Thank you for being patient with me, and please PM if I don't seem to have caught an update that I should have seen.
Veggrower

Post by Veggrower »

Thanks for that information, and the link to Victor Chevalier. The words you suggested seem likely, so I'll now go ahead with the recording.

Thanks again,

Garth
Peppersnoodles93

Post by Peppersnoodles93 »

Hi there! I have a two phrases in french over at Ruth Fielding. After skimming the chapter I decided to read it, but I need help with two phrases. Would someone mind recording those phrases and giving me the link?
Here's the phrases:
"Oui, oui,"
"Comme il faut,"

Thank you!
~Kim