Help with French, please--The French pronunciation thread

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

I have a male reader who would prefer that someone else read the following French phrase.

"La Liberté," says Mr. Emile Faguet, in the preface to his "Politiques et Moralistes du Dix-Neuvième Siècle"—"La Liberté s'oppose à l'Égalité, car La Liberté est aristocratique par essence. La Liberté ne se donne jamais, ne s'octroie jamais; elle se conquiert. Or ne peuvent la conquérir que des groupes sociaux qui out su se donne la cohérence, l'organisation et la discipline et qui par conséquent, sont des groupes aristocratiques."

If someone would volunteer and post a link to the audio in the following thread we would be most grateful.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=67512
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

Hi.

I have a passage, actually a letter, in my 'Life of Beethoven' solo that I think would be appropriate to have someone more eloquent than I read.

Would someone be kind enough to record this?

Clemens August made his formal entry into Bonn, May 15, 1724. A number of petitions are passed over, but one granted[10] “without salary” on February 18, 1727, from Van den Eeden must be given in its entirety:

Supplique tres humble a S. A. S. E. de Cologne
pour Gille Vandeneet.

Bonn, d. 18 Feb., 1727.

Prince Serenissime,
Monsigneur.

Vandeneet vient avec tout le respect qui luy est possible se mettre aux pieds de V. A. S. E. luy representer qu’ayant eu l’honneur d’avoir estre second organiste de feu S. A. S. E. d’heureuse memoire, elle daigne luy vouloir faire la même grace ne demendant aucun gage si long tems qu’il plaira a V. A. S. E. promettant la servire avec soin et diligence.

Quoi faisant etc. etc.
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

realisticspeakers wrote: June 21st, 2019, 9:27 pm I have a passage, actually a letter, in my 'Life of Beethoven' solo that I think would be appropriate to have someone more eloquent than I read.

Would someone be kind enough to record this?
just saw this now...do you already have a recording ? If not, I can do it tonight if you don't mind that I'm a female voice.
S. A. S. E.
V. A. S. E.
do you want me to read these abbreviations as letters or with the full honorific title ? I would opt for the full thing, but it's as you wish

Sonia
realisticspeakers

Kitty wrote: June 26th, 2019, 1:54 am just saw this now...do you already have a recording ? If not, I can do it tonight if you don't mind that I'm a female voice.

do you want me to read these abbreviations as letters or with the full honorific title ? I would opt for the full thing, but it's as you wish

Sonia
Oh thank you so much!

I would love to have your voice read the full title.

You've saved me twice so far on this project!
Last edited by realisticspeakers on June 26th, 2019, 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

realisticspeakers wrote: June 26th, 2019, 7:16 amI would love to have your voice read the full title.
I had a hunch you would say that ;) so I already recorded it with the full title. Here is the result:

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/french_beethoven.mp3

Let me know if this is what you had in mind.
I did ? You have barely started ! This can't be !

Glad I was of help, if there is more French, just let me know, you can also PM me, that way I surely see it :mrgreen:

Sonia
realisticspeakers

Kitty wrote: June 26th, 2019, 7:19 am
realisticspeakers wrote: June 26th, 2019, 7:16 amI would love to have your voice read the full title.
I had a hunch you would say that ;) so I already recorded it with the full title. Here is the result:

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/french_beethoven.mp3

Let me know if this is what you had in mind.
I did ? You have barely started ! This can't be !

Glad I was of help, if there is more French, just let me know, you can also PM me, that way I surely see it :mrgreen:

Sonia
That's perfect. I'm so happy!
Disclaimer:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

realisticspeakers wrote: June 26th, 2019, 7:23 am That's perfect. I'm so happy!
:thumbs: super, thanks

Sonia
realisticspeakers

Kitty wrote: June 26th, 2019, 7:28 am
realisticspeakers wrote: June 26th, 2019, 7:23 am That's perfect. I'm so happy!
:thumbs: super, thanks

Sonia
it slips in there so perfectly, thank you
Disclaimer:
Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kikisaulite »

Dear all,
I have a french passage needed in a recording for Arabian Nights explanatory essay. These words are attributed to Voltaire and I just don't dare to butcher them... :help:
Could someone please record this for me? Me (and Voltaire) would be very grateful!
Quand on fait réflexion que presque toute la terre a été enfatuée de pareils contes, et qu'ils ont fait l'education du genre humain, on trouve les fables de Pilpay, de Lokman, d'Ésope, bien raisonables.
Keep your mind here and now, where it belongs.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Kikisaulite wrote: July 9th, 2019, 10:26 amI have a french passage needed in a recording for Arabian Nights explanatory essay. These words are attributed to Voltaire and I just don't dare to butcher them... :help:
Could someone please record this for me? Me (and Voltaire) would be very grateful!
if no one else gets to it till this evening, I can do you a soundfile :) I'm sure we can make Voltaire happy. :mrgreen:

Sonia
Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kikisaulite »

Kitty wrote: July 9th, 2019, 11:02 pm
if no one else gets to it till this evening, I can do you a soundfile :) I'm sure we can make Voltaire happy. :mrgreen:

Sonia
Yay! Voltaire must be kept happy! :lol: Thanks! :)
Keep your mind here and now, where it belongs.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

I just posted the file in the Arabian project thread :)
viewtopic.php?p=1607838#p1607838

Sonia
Steven Seitel

Post by Steven Seitel »

I would very much appreciate it if someone could record this short French passage for me:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gg2F3FZL2RQYC3gH-j_zWyNJQLRDbsf-/view?usp=sharing

It's from Chapter 3 of The Secret of the Sahara: Kufara by Rosita Forbes. I don't speak French, unfortunately, and really need some help. Thank you in advance.

Steven Seitel
...and then I thought: "Oh, what the Heck? Why not?..." —W.O.B.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Steven Seitel wrote: November 7th, 2019, 12:16 pm I would very much appreciate it if someone could record this short French passage for me:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gg2F3FZL2RQYC3gH-j_zWyNJQLRDbsf-/view?usp=sharing
It's from Chapter 3 of The Secret of the Sahara: Kufara by Rosita Forbes. I don't speak French, unfortunately, and really need some help. Thank you in advance.
if you can wait till tomorrow I can record it, unless someone gets to it earlier. Will you insert my recording or will you copy my pronunciation with your voice ? I ask because in that case I would speak slowlier so you can understand better.

Sonia
Steven Seitel

Post by Steven Seitel »

Hi, Sonia...

Yes, of course I can wait. I would insert your recording in your voice (and credit you for it, of course)

Thanks very much for the help!

Steve
...and then I thought: "Oh, what the Heck? Why not?..." —W.O.B.