Children for readers?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Adamski

Post by Adamski »

Hi all,

My 10-year-old daughter has expressed an interest in doing some reading. Would there be any issues with this, legal or otherwise?
The surest way to eliminate a right is to declare it an obligation

My current projects

Doctor Dolittle
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Hi, Adamski, that's great! She'll just need official parental permission, which you can give when she registers on the forum (or rather when you sign her up yourself, if you don't want her posting on the forum quite yet). It's best if she does have her own forum registration because that's how we enter readers into the database for catalog credit. We have a number of children who have read for us. Just be aware that our recordings go into the public domain, which means that anyone can use them for any purpose they like. It's more likely that her recordings will be sold by third parties on Ebay than anything nefarious. Some parents prefer their children to use first names only (or a pseudonym).

We'll be very glad to have her here and I look forward to her recordings!
Laurie Anne
kayray

Post by kayray »

When you register her, don't worry about sending in the permission form, or whatever. Just write a note in your email explaining the situation and we'll handle it from there :)

(It might inspire her to listen to some of the recordings my son made back when he was little. He's 16 now and sounds quite different! https://catalog.librivox.org/people_public.php?peopleid=21 ;-)
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
Adamski

Post by Adamski »

Thanks, Kara.

I just sent in the permission, and then I read your comment.

She's registered as "Sweet Pea." I don't expect she'll be doing any interaction on the forums on her own. Her interest is doing some readings, so we'll send in any submissions under her userid. Once she's activated, I'll have her do the one-minute test.

Adam.

My current projects

Doctor Dolittle
kayray

Post by kayray »

SweetPea is all set :)
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
prwells32

Post by prwells32 »

Its awesome that we have younger listeners out there. I started out quite young myself, I'm considerably older now. But if you go back and listen to some of my older recordings you can here some of my pre-voice change poor equipment recordings. :P
Patrick

Enjoy Tom Swift? Perhaps you would enjoy a book about him meeting up with some Diamond Makers
Or perhaps you'd rather talk about music with children.
Hobbit

Post by Hobbit »

Does anybody have any idea how many younger active forum members there are (younger as in under twenty?) I know of a couple, but I was wondering how many younger teens are involved besides myself.
Between being a full-time college student and working 20+ hours per week, I'm not able to be involved at LV these days, but I remain a loyal fan and look forward to a triumphant return sometime in the (probably distant) future.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

We don't ask ages - but there are many - and many who have joined when young and are still going now they are "old"

Anne
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Do second childhoods count? Image
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Once a child, always a child!
prwells32

Post by prwells32 »

Rapunzelina wrote:Once a child, always a child!
Amen to that! :D
Patrick

Enjoy Tom Swift? Perhaps you would enjoy a book about him meeting up with some Diamond Makers
Or perhaps you'd rather talk about music with children.
JohanLiebert

Post by JohanLiebert »

Hobbit wrote:Does anybody have any idea how many younger active forum members there are (younger as in under twenty?) I know of a couple, but I was wondering how many younger teens are involved besides myself.
Well I'm 18 but I think there are only a handful below 20... Reading [and recording] doesn't really interest teens today, unless it's Twilight or Hunger Games.
April Gonzales :D
blog

Marie Antoinette & the Downfall of Royalty

I will not be around the forums for quite a time but I'll log-in whenever there's time. Please PM me if you need to talk with me. Thanks!

Animo La Salle!
Cori

Post by Cori »

Twilight today, Dracula tomorrow.

Hunger Games today, Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire tomorrow.

Neither of them are small books -- and they're both part of series. It may not be a very "literary" gateway, but I'm applauding it anyway ... when I think of the utter bobbins I read for years and years, I still marvel that I ever got beyond it -- but I certainly did. :D
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
Adamski

Post by Adamski »

kayray wrote:When you register her, don't worry about sending in the permission form, or whatever. Just write a note in your email explaining the situation and we'll handle it from there :)
Hi Kara,

You've set up my daughter as "SweetPea" and now my son would like to participate as "Willy2." I'll set up an account for him right now. As with Sweet Pea, he won't be interacting on the forum directly, but would like to do some reading.

Adam.

My current projects

Doctor Dolittle
aravis

Post by aravis »

His account is activated! :D
Elli

"Tiefer und tiefer zogen die Buchstaben ihn hinab, wie ein Strudel aus Tinte...dorthin wo auch Staubfinger verschwunden war. An den Ort, an dem alle Geschichten enden." (Cornelia Funke)