What if I Suck?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
vanarp

Post by vanarp » May 19th, 2016, 9:05 pm

thanks for response.

mjfillen

Post by mjfillen » February 2nd, 2017, 10:44 am

What would constitute a recording that is rejected because the reader's way of speaking is not good enough? That is, it's loud enough and every word is there, but the recording is rejected.

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » February 2nd, 2017, 10:49 am

If it's not understandable by a native speaker of that language.

It happens VERY rarely.
Fiction, partly about jail atrocities: It Is Never too Late
Watergate Report, volume 3: Here
E E Cummings' time in French prison: The Enormous Room

mjfillen

Post by mjfillen » February 2nd, 2017, 2:33 pm

What about if your cadence is uneven, the flow does not flow? That is the way you talk, unevenly, so your reading is that way too. All the words are there... it's loud enough, but... you stammer... and... bunchwordstogether and ... talk... slowly... sometimes, but... thewordsare... there, just not flowing evenly. Would the... recordingbe rejected for... that... reason or... similar things? That is an exaggeration but you get the idea, I'm sure. I can think of one woman who reads very mechanically, saying every syllable according to a pattern that the text doesn't usually follow. Something like " duh DUH duh duh duh DUH duh, duh Duh duh duh duh DUH duh duh" over and over. So reading mechanically by a pattern is accepted. If the best you can do is uneven cadence then is that okay?

wildemoose

Post by wildemoose » February 2nd, 2017, 2:37 pm

mjfillen wrote:What about if your cadence is uneven, the flow does not flow? That is the way you talk, unevenly, so your reading is that way too. All the words are there... it's loud enough, but... you stammer... and... bunchwordstogether and ... talk... slowly... sometimes, but... thewordsare... there, just not flowing evenly. Would the... recordingbe rejected for... that... reason or... similar things? That is an exaggeration but you get the idea, I'm sure. I can think of one woman who reads very mechanically, saying every syllable according to a pattern that the text doesn't usually follow. Something like " duh DUH duh duh duh DUH duh, duh Duh duh duh duh DUH duh duh" over and over. So reading mechanically by a pattern is accepted. If the best you can do is uneven cadence then is that okay?
No, it would not be rejected for that reason. The only reason a recording would ever be rejected would be if it does not meet our technical specifications, or if it is literally not understandable. As Tricia said above, this happens extremely rarely.