What if I Suck?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
David Richardson

Post by David Richardson »

salgolden wrote:How do you turn away bad readers?)
Hi there. LibriVox is non-judgemental. I'm sure that if someone were genuinely un-intelligble to absolutely everyone, LV would rather invent a new language and file their recordings under that than point it out to them :D
The universe is made up of stories, not of atoms.
- Muriel Rukeyser

My LibriVox Page Blog The Metamorphosis
wildemoose

Post by wildemoose »

salgolden wrote:How do you turn away bad readers? Mostt readers are pleasant to listen to but some have annoying voices - How do they tell a volunteer "Thanks, but No Thanks"? (especially after they've read a chapter or 2)
Short answer: we don't, especially not for something as subjective as an "annoying voice." People can't help what their voices sound like and everyone is welcome here.
Cori

Post by Cori »

Like Ruth, I've got contrasting reviews on the same recording ... this *is* a LibriVox recording, but put up on Youtube.
I love this voice... such a perfect fit for a reading of this sort. I found myself so quickly drawn into this reading from the inflection and gentle pauses that were put into this reading by the voice. Fantastic.
That's a voice that could put you to sleep. I want to listen more but I fear I may fall asleep! A more interesting narrator is highly recommended.
What could I do with that kind of feedback? It's saying the same thing, that this recording is pretty mellow, but that has different effects on the two listeners. So ... I ignore both of them, and enjoy the comedy genius in the rest of the thread.

Actualkly I like this but I think it should be read by a man...OR MORGAN FREEMAN
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
kayray

Post by kayray »

LOL Cori!!!!

A man... or Morgan Freeman.
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
Guero

Post by Guero »

Hmmm...I was just talking to ol' Morgie yesterday and he said he's been dying to read for LibriVox but just hasn't found the time. You know, movies, tv shows, awards banquets. He pretty much has a full calendar. :lol:
John
"...what kind of internal wiring in my grandmother's mind enabled her...To condense fact from the vapor of nuance." -- Neal Stephenson
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Guero wrote:Hmmm...I was just talking to ol' Morgie yesterday and he said he's been dying to read for LibriVox but just hasn't found the time. You know, movies, tv shows, awards banquets. He pretty much has a full calendar. :lol:
One could only dream! :9:
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
WoollyBee

Post by WoollyBee »

This is a very inspiring thread! :)
Last edited by WoollyBee on June 8th, 2014, 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arnieh

Post by Arnieh »

I had always been told I have a good speaking voice, at least for telephone work and such, but now that I've had a chance to listen to others, I wonder what they were thinking when they said that to me. :hmm:
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Some will love you, some will hate you . But you are reading because you want to, not for them - so just have fun.

Anne
Cori

Post by Cori »

"Have Fun Ignoring Comments!" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IJyRAUxtAQ

I just came across this video on the business of dealing with hurtful comments online and it's lovely (if very much faster paced than I can manage in one go.)
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
automatthew

Post by automatthew »

One the primary things I used audiobooks for is to help me fall asleep, so voices that are monotonous and boring are GOLD to me. Haha.
TimoleonWash

Post by TimoleonWash »

• a) On average, how long does it take folks to record and edit :?:
    b) How do I get my recordings objectively and critically analyzed and scored :?:
I recently recorded a text of 4,600 words @ 27:58 :9: . To produce my submission I:
  • 1. Read aloud - 30:00
    2. Recorded - 40:00
    3. Edited - 3:00:00
    :idea: Total - 4 hrs work / 30 min recording
I have listened to some recordings by us LibriVoxers and subjectively rank my submissions below average :( If an acceptable-to-me authority confirmed this ranking my time might be put to better use here at LibriVox if I PL or DPL or some project or admin tasks...

:idea: Do any of you know of something like a web site which will examine and critically evaluate my recordings :?:
If you create and your creation is destroyed, create anyway. (paraphrasing Mother Teresa) . . Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
Cori

Post by Cori »

TimoleonWash wrote:a) On average, how long does it take folks to record and edit :?:
There's an ongoing discussion in viewtopic.php?f=23&t=52401 with various people's numbers -- that might be interesting for comparison.
b) How do I get my recordings objectively and critically analyzed and scored :?:
I don't think that would be a meaningful thing. I'm sure there are 'critics' who would be happy to discuss pace or sound quality. But most listeners are not critics. They're very keen to hear the book, that's all! Especially for our rarer books, that no commercial company is ever going to bother with, we have the only audio recording available. It would be terrible for you to decide that because your standard wasn't up to an honestly rather arbitrary bar, you're not going to make those books available to people who don't care about posh audio. (Those who do care can buy commercial recordings, and if their book isn't available, well tough!)

I think the only standard to care about is your own. Is what you're doing good enough? Nothing's ever perfect (there's not a single professional audiobook reader that doesn't have people who genuinely feel they wreck books and shouldn't be allowed near a microphone.) There's a very good reason why performers are advised not to read reviews. ;)
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

And, without exception, readers improve with practice. So, please, don't worry about this. I have just listened to a bit of one of your most recent recordings and enjoyed it heartily.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
TimoleonWash

Post by TimoleonWash »

RuthieG wrote:...I have just listened to a bit of one of your most recent recordings and enjoyed it heartily.
Ruth
:!: Why RuthieG, you sweetheart you :D Thank you :9:
p.s. Do ya think I could get a gig with whoever paid you to say such delightful things? :oops:

Cori :D thx for the encouragement and link :!:
If you create and your creation is destroyed, create anyway. (paraphrasing Mother Teresa) . . Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ