What if I Suck?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
maxgal

Post by maxgal »

THX for the feedback & cogitations, everyone :mrgreen:
Yes, I agree too slow is better than too fast.
And yes, all that "jabbergabble" sets my teeth on edge.
(How's that for a word coinage??)
And while I'm in the peeve mode:
My other pet peeve for radio/recordings/podcasts/interviews/conversations, is ... frying!
...you know, where the speaker sort of croaks instead of enunciating?
...especially at the end of every sentence or even nearly every word... :evil:
Louise
"every little breeze..."

Fun Fact: 40% of all statistics are wrong.
maxgal

Post by maxgal »

maxgal wrote: September 2nd, 2019, 12:41 pm THX for the feedback & cogitations, everyone :mrgreen:
Yes, I agree too slow is better than too fast.
And yes, all that "jabbergabble" sets my teeth on edge.
(How's that for a word coinage??)
And while I'm in the peeve mode:
My other pet peeve for radio/recordings/podcasts/interviews/conversations, is ... frying!
...you know, where the speaker sort of croaks instead of enunciating?
...especially at the end of every sentence or even nearly every word... :evil:
...for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_LmC-ynqGM
Louise
"every little breeze..."

schrm

Post by schrm »

maxgal wrote: September 2nd, 2019, 12:53 pm ...for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_LmC-ynqGM
what an interesting video...
thank you!
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
Jen0631

Post by Jen0631 »

Greetings Fellow LibriVoxers,

OK, I don’t think I suck, but I’m certain I have room for improvement.

I’ve set up a small sample – a very short recording, and I’m hoping some of you are willing to listen and let me know if you have any recommendations.

If you are willing, please visit http://www.voicejen.com/audio/200317lv100.html. The raw audio is just that – recorded and exported to mp3. The second, edited audio, has some minor cleanup, and the (I hope light) processing I do for files I’m submitting to LibriVox.

I appreciate your time, and any feedback you may offer,
Jennifer
Find me at VoiceJen.com & konsort29.blogspot.com
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Jennifer,

You have a great voice, and I have only one small improvement recommendation - reduce sibilants in editing. There is probably an effect (like low pass filter) that can help...

I will have another listen tonight at home, if I remember to. My home is somewhat quieter, and I have better audio equipment that might show me something I can't hear while in the office...
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

I found your recordings very good, with excellent voice production and a good quality of recording. If only there were more recordings like this!

I noticed you increased the volume (gain) on the edited version which brought the level up and this was good. There was no appreciable increase in background noise i.e. room sound. I think you must be using a good mic and interface/recorder. All in all you will be a very fine reader for Librivox. Good luck and you will be doing a really great job.
Jen0631

Post by Jen0631 »

tovarisch wrote: March 19th, 2020, 10:17 am . . . You have a great voice, and I have only one small improvement recommendation - reduce sibilants in editing. There is probably an effect (like low pass filter) that can help...
I appreciate that. I just did a little homework (thanks to YouTube) and found a VO coach who suggests one reduce sibilance through delivery - more careful placement of tongue. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVo0nAEjwR4) I will definitely give it some attention and see if I can refine the sound any.

I appreciate your help!
Jennifer
Jen0631

Post by Jen0631 »

lurcherlover wrote: March 19th, 2020, 11:40 am . . . All in all you will be a very fine reader for Librivox. Good luck and you will be doing a really great job.
Thank you for such kind words, Peter. I will certainly keep at it.

Jennifer
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

tovarisch wrote: March 19th, 2020, 10:17 am ...I will have another listen tonight at home, if I remember to.
I remembered, and I don't have anything material to add. Your setup seems to work fine. Thank you for sharing!
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
Jen0631

Post by Jen0631 »

tovarisch wrote: March 19th, 2020, 5:29 pm
tovarisch wrote: March 19th, 2020, 10:17 am ...I will have another listen tonight at home, if I remember to.
I remembered, and I don't have anything material to add. Your setup seems to work fine. Thank you for sharing!
I am grateful! Have a great day,
Jennifer
maxgal

Post by maxgal »

maxgal wrote: August 31st, 2019, 4:13 pm OK, this isn't necessarily about sucking per se, but...
I seem to read aloud more slooooowwwwwly than anyone else I have ever heard!
No matter what ... it can be a political essay, a fairy tale, a scary/spooky story, a humorous story, a Grand Guignol narration, a nonfiction piece for the
Insomnia collection (which I know is supposed to be slow-ish), etc...
My recording speed (even with trimming the pauses) is consistently about 125WPM.
I've tried to speed it up, but then I trip all over the words & run out of breath & generally get stressed out. :roll:
For the most part, I think I sound OK, but sometimes it seems that "everyone else" is on the ball & I'm not!
Or something.
On the other hand, I've been told a number of times that I'm "very calm" and "very calming" to be around.
Anyone else got this particular weirdness?
...So now my general reading pace seems to be about 110-115WPM.
It does seem "too slow" compared with what seems to be the norm.
But trying to read faster conjures up the same problems.
("I've tried to speed it up, but then I trip all over the words & run out of breath & generally get stressed out.")
So I guess it just adds to the suspense, when that's appropriate. :shock:
...LJB
Louise
"every little breeze..."

lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

maxgal wrote: April 12th, 2020, 11:04 pm
maxgal wrote: August 31st, 2019, 4:13 pm OK, this isn't necessarily about sucking per se, but...
I seem to read aloud more slooooowwwwwly than anyone else I have ever heard!
No matter what ... it can be a political essay, a fairy tale, a scary/spooky story, a humorous story, a Grand Guignol narration, a nonfiction piece for the
Insomnia collection (which I know is supposed to be slow-ish), etc...
My recording speed (even with trimming the pauses) is consistently about 125WPM.
I've tried to speed it up, but then I trip all over the words & run out of breath & generally get stressed out. :roll:
For the most part, I think I sound OK, but sometimes it seems that "everyone else" is on the ball & I'm not!
Or something.
On the other hand, I've been told a number of times that I'm "very calm" and "very calming" to be around.
Anyone else got this particular weirdness?
...So now my general reading pace seems to be about 110-115WPM.
It does seem "too slow" compared with what seems to be the norm.
But trying to read faster conjures up the same problems.
("I've tried to speed it up, but then I trip all over the words & run out of breath & generally get stressed out.")
So I guess it just adds to the suspense, when that's appropriate. :shock:
...LJB
If reading slightly more slowly adds to clarity then it's a good thing. There is a tendency for people to read too fast - including me - and I frequently shout into the mic "slow up, you ******" to make myself slow down. It's natural though to speed up a bit if it's a critical moment in the story, but remember to go back to normal speed again.

Regarding another point raised (by tovarisch), any slight sibilance can be reduced by angling the mic slightly so the high frequencies do not hit the capsule head on, but glance by. It need only be a small change in angle and maybe a couple of inches further from the mic as well. It pays to experiment. (Some mics like the Rode NT1A though are poor on female voices as they have an exaggerated higher frequency).
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

repeating something I have said - at info@ I've had a number of listeners complaining that a reader is too fast, never anyone saying a reader is too slow. Our listeners are international - many with English as their 2nd language so fast often makes you hard to follow. And everyone has an accent and the further away your listener lives, the harder you are to follow often
When I first started I was given a hint on microphone placement . blow steadily through your lips onto your fingertip, move your finger until you can't feel the airflow and put you microphone there.

Anne
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

annise wrote: April 13th, 2020, 2:47 am repeating something I have said - at info@ I've had a number of listeners complaining that a reader is too fast, never anyone saying a reader is too slow. Our listeners are international - many with English as their 2nd language so fast often makes you hard to follow. And everyone has an accent and the further away your listener lives, the harder you are to follow often
When I first started I was given a hint on microphone placement . blow steadily through your lips onto your fingertip, move your finger until you can't feel the airflow and put you microphone there.

Anne
That's a good tip. But, it may vary according to how hard you blow! (Steady blowing rather than weak or very hard blowing!) Most close miking though is carried out at about 4-12 inches from the mic (10-30cm), as this helps to eliminate room sound. The closer the less room sound but the more risk of sibilants, so it can be a compromise, although angling the mic can get you closer. With all but omni directional mics though, there will be the risk of proximity effect if too close, but this can help a male voice to have more bass and get that sound that is used by radio DJ's to sound BIG.
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Personally I've shared that experience. When I came back to recording after about a year's break, I was noticing most of my PL notes we're stumbling and etc. because I was reading to fast. Sometimes slowing down and pronouncing every syllable helps; it did for me.