What if I Suck?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
sweet_byrd

Post by sweet_byrd »

I had a fit of "what if I suck" the other night, and this thread was very helpful in talking me down out of my tree. I'm still nervous, though, and my husband had a suggestion that I think would be very helpful -- having someone listen to a short recording and getting their opinion(s) regarding the suck/ not suck of the recording, my voice, etc.

So ... would anyone mind listening to something I recorded? I'd really appreciate the favor.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

When Gregg answers your post in the Sci Fi thread he is almost sure to suggest you do about 1 min. reading to make sure all the technical bits are right and if there is a problem help you fix it to get the best results.

Or you could just read the Wiki guide , linked at top of page about submitting a test.
Almost everyone doesn't like the way their voices sound and everyone has a different "favourite " voice round here. I've listened to a lot of newbies in my time here and I can't think of one that I would have liked to say "go away - you suck" to :D

Anne
sweet_byrd

Post by sweet_byrd »

Well, I have uploaded a test at http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/tests/sweetbyrdTest.mp3 . I tried to conform to the introductory text requirements and audio editing advice and all that. I'd really appreciate it if one of you all would take a listen and let me know what you think.
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

sweet_byrd wrote:Well, I have uploaded a test at http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/tests/sweetbyrdTest.mp3 . I tried to conform to the introductory text requirements and audio editing advice and all that. I'd really appreciate it if one of you all would take a listen and let me know what you think.
Bit and sample rates are good. It's in mono, that's good. But... your voice is a bit too quiet. Aim for wav forms between .5 and 1.

Esther :)

ps you don't suck!
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

You sound great, Heather!

Yep - amplify it (by about 2.5 decibels), and you're good!
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
sweet_byrd

Post by sweet_byrd »

TriciaG, Starlite -- thank you both for your advice. I was worried about being too soft, and it is good to know I wasn't off base. And your reassurance that I don't suck -- well, I really, really appreciate it. Thank you both! :D
jondalar1988

Post by jondalar1988 »

sweet_byrd wrote:TriciaG, Starlite -- thank you both for your advice. I was worried about being too soft, and it is good to know I wasn't off base. And your reassurance that I don't suck -- well, I really, really appreciate it. Thank you both! :D

If I may make a comment on the general subject: Speaking as one who has spent years of my working career as a narrator/announcer and with some experience on the stage, you have my word that very few performers are ever satisfied with their work. No matter how long you've been doing it there's always that nagging feeling that you could've done better. That's good, because it will drive you to always put forth your best effort. The day you no longer have those little feelings, is the day you become a "Prima Donna". And No One likes to be around those people!
-Ron Altman-

"The significance of man is his awareness of his insignificance!"
ngocmai1196

Post by ngocmai1196 »

hi, I'm from Vietnam. and I'm really really looking forward to reading books out loud. But you see, I'm a foreigner, and I'm not sure if I'm good enough. I uploaded a test, but then I only received replies about technical problems, so I am posting this reply now to ask you guys to check my accent for me. And please feel free to tell me about your feelings about it. Thanks so so much.http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/tests/test_ngocmai1196.mp3
Ngocmai
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

The test recording is usually just for technical settings and volume etc, Ngocmai. We welcome all accents here, and as long as you can be understood, you are most welcome to contribute in any language.

I think you have a delightful voice, and I can understand you perfectly well. I would always recommend trying not to speak too quickly, especially on long multi-syllable words, as the consonants can sometimes be swallowed and not come out very clearly. But that is advice I would give to anyone, even native English speakers. :)

(I had downloaded your recording yesterday, so still have it on my computer. I notice that the upload server is out of action again just at the moment, so possibly no-one else will be able to comment until it comes back up again.)

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
Olmac

Post by Olmac »

the Literate Loser wrote:I confess that one reason my chapter of The Secret Agent has taken me so long to complete is a sudden fear that I suck. In my own podcast, I don't care so much, because I do what I do for myself. This, though, is important. It's significant. It matters. It could even make some kind of difference in something (I teach dyslexics, so I'm stoked about anything that gets literature into people's heads and am always wondering about how new technology can help people with reading difficulties) lasting.

So I don't want to suck.

And if I suck, I don't want people to keep that a secret from me! So when you get around to chapter 8 of The Secret Agent, please tell me if I suck.
Hi LL,

I've just checked it out - chapter 8 of The Secret Agent - you're definitely good.
salgolden

Post by salgolden »

How do you turn away bad readers? Mostt readers are pleasant to listen to but some have annoying voices - How do they tell a volunteer "Thanks, but No Thanks"? (especially after they've read a chapter or 2)
Dr Sally Gold
Optometrist Fairview
carolb

Post by carolb »

Dear Dr. Gold,

Welcome to Librivox, and congratulations! You have joined the friendliest, most supportive group you are likely to come across. Librivox welcomes anyone who is willing to give their time to volunteering here - and there are many ways to do that - read, proof listen, make CD covers or videos etc.

No-one is turned away because of the quality of their reading (sigh of relief here), and constructive criticism is only given when asked for - though guidance is given on 'tech specs'....

And you know, what you consider to be an annoying voice will be music to someone else's ears! Image

I look forward to hearing you,

Have fun

Carol
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Heh, this is such an interesting subject. :)

What is a bad reader? Well, let me count the ways... and I am not just talking about LibriVox readers here. I have heard some shockingly bad readers of commercial audiobooks.
  • someone who reads unintelligibly
  • someone who reads carelessly and makes mistakes with the words
  • someone who reads without any sense of the meaning, even though the words themselves are perfectly comprehensible
  • someone who reads in a grey, unvarying monotonous tone
  • someone who has all kinds of slurps and mouth noises
  • someone whose voice just plain annoys you
The first two should be taken care of in the proof-listening process. If they really are unintelligible (and there are very few who are), they will be kindly told that perhaps this isn't for them. But often, slowing down their reading speed or other remedial measures will put it right.

If they make a lot of mistakes, they themselves go back and correct them after the proof-listener reports.

But most of these 'faults' remedy themselves as the reader gains more experience and confidence. And they simply couldn't improve unless they persevere and continue recording. That is why we do not have negative criticism here. Any reader who gets slated on their first few readings is going to lose confidence, and simply give up.

Remember our goal here. We are here to make recordings of public domain books available. We never say that everyone will like them.

But some of these 'faults' are really subjective, especially the last two. There are readers here whom I simply couldn't listen to, because I simply don't like their voice. THAT IS MY PROBLEM, not theirs.

I would venture to say that all readers have their admirers and detractors. I know I have. I will come out here and give you an example - myself, of course.

I've read over 1000 sections for LibriVox - nearly 40 whole books. If I haven't improved over this time, then I certainly should have. And mostly people seem to like me. But here are two contrasting comments from impartial reviewers about one of my books:
The narrator turned me off of this book. If you enjoy fingernails scraping on a blackboard, then ignore my opinion.
Ruth Golding does a fabulous job.
If I had had the first review in my early days, I would have stopped recording for ever, and brooded about it for weeks. Now I can accept that some people just don't like my voice. And that's OK by me.

Ruth
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Just to make in clear - those reviews were not given in the Librivox forum - we don't give reviews :D

Anne
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Oh, sorry, I should have made that clear. It wasn't even a LibriVox recording.

Ruth