Internet Archive Question/Comment/Help Thread

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Martin, I was put off for a while after reading this comment about my Three Men on a Bummel, on the Jerome K. Jerome Society web site:
I checked out this reading as I had never heard of Librivox and downloaded the first chapter. Sorry Peter but you are obviously not a professional at reading books! Every sentence ahs the same inflection and you have not in my humble opinion, got a grip on the different voices. I checked out some more Librivox recordings all by amateurs. Nice idea to read everything ever published but what's the piont if its done badly?
It's like politics, economics, religion, reviews of plays or books .... you can have people speaking with absolute certainty ... but in complete contradiction.

You can't be expected to get any pleasure from someone disliking what you do; just set it aside and do your best for your own sake.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

That kind of thing can be crippling, I know. PLEASE put it out of your mind. I know how hard that is, having heard my own voice described on Audible as "nails on a chalkboard". I determined then never to look at another Audible review, and I never have. Mark Nelson will tell you the same.

You must not allow "douchbags" (is that how it is spelled? I think not ;) ) to destroy your confidence.

Print out these, and pin them up somewhere where you see them often:
The Diary of a Superfluous Man

Beautifully and movingly read.

Martin Geeson's passionate narration for LibriVox deserves special attention. It's as good or better than professional and obviously a labor of love... I'm now a fan of Geeson and would listen to anything he narrated in the future.
Five O'Clock Tea
Martin Geeson does really well as the romantic lead in this. Martin's voice reminds me of some early Alan Rickman I saw once, for some reason. It's not that the sound is similar, but there's a certain intricacy of ennunciation which is quite lovely.
Oscar Wilde: His Life and Confessions

Highest Marks for the Reader.
The reader serves up a wonderful reading of this interesting history.
and last, but not least:
An Essay on Man

Martin Geeson, who has contributed his time and talents in enormous measure to Librivox projects, does an excellent job narrating Pope's "An Essay on Man." He reads with great clarity, precision, accuracy and sensitivity — neither monotonous nor melodramatic, with perfect pronunciation, enunciation and phrasing indicative of an obviously deep and appreciative understanding of this poem.
Now, honestly, would you take more notice of these literate and thoughtful critics, or someone who cannot even spell?

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
wildemoose

Post by wildemoose »

I was the DPL for "Oscar Wilde: Art and Morality" and I can state with confidence that said reviewer doesn't know what he's talking about. It was wonderfully read, Martin.
catrose

Post by catrose »

Adding to this (not sure why, but it might make you feel better!)

Please, please get back to recording Martin! The Drama forum is missing you! (Lots and lots!)

I once got on a review on one Dramatic reading (thankfully not on Archive!) that I (personally, it said the character I was) completely ruined the entire thing and that it's a pity because everyone else was so wonderful and that, quite frankly, my microphone should be confiscated. That made me upset for a while. Getting over it is just about picking yourself up, dusting yourself off and carrying on regardless. One person doesn't like one recording, so what? It's been downloaded 4,104 times without complaint. 4103 to 1 (though anyone who calls people "douchebags" without being able to say it right doesn't deserve to be counted as 1. Maybe 0.5?)

Anyway, we all love you and wish you'd record some more! (Mainly because I can't wait to hear Dangerous Connections, the colossus Hadrian the Seventh and you in Edward II, where I have the joy of not only being your son, but Arielle's nephew and I get to order the execution of Elizabeth and mb!)
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
carolb

Post by carolb »

Martin, this poses the question – are no reviews at all better than what in your case must be a very rare negative one - and I agree with the people whose quotes Ruth highlighted for you. :wink:

With a total of 6484 downloads for 2 solos on IE, and not one comment I am led to the conclusion that the listeners were categorically unimpressed with my efforts!

Please do continue with your wonderful recording, and concentrate on the friends who enjoy both listening and sharing the recording experience with you. Dramatic works are all the richer for your contributions.

Carol
catrose

Post by catrose »

Oh, I love your Solos Carol! Me and Emily are enjoying the Old Fashioned Fairy Book very much! :D
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
carolb

Post by carolb »

:9: Thank you so much Cat - you've made my day.

Martin, I hope we've helped to make yours, too.

Carol
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

Martin,

I am listening to the the recording and I firmly disagree with your critic.

Does anyone else find it interesting that we are commenting of a member of the unappreciative public not understanding an artist's talent in which the theme of the work is the unappreciative public not understanding an artist's talent ??

David
MARTIN GEESON

Post by MARTIN GEESON »

Heartfelt thanks to everyone for such encouraging comments. :)

I have removed Internet Archive from my Favourites list and promise to return to the microphone - as soon as I recover from the hacking cough I have at the moment.

David, you make a good point. Also, I don't think of myself as reading all these books in my own voice. I try to suit the period and milieu of each individual work, and I hope the listener too has some notion of what (say) an 18th century squire or an 1890s decadent poet should sound like.

Once again, I'm so grateful for the kindness shown to me here.

All the best
Martin
carolb

Post by carolb »

MARTIN GEESON wrote:I have removed Internet Archive from my Favourites list and promise to return to the microphone - as soon as I recover from the hacking cough I have at the moment.
Very glad to hear it, Martin - and wish you a speedy recovery. :)

Carol
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

The sort of person who is totally negative in criticizing a reader is probably totally negative in most things. We've all seen their posts. A person will post something to a blog asking for help and advice, and while many people genuinely try to help, there's always one or two who will reply with: "You are stoopid..." or something even less intelligent but more vulgar. It would be nice if this kind of person would sit down and actually record a chapter of a book. Then they might not be so quick to criticize other readers' mistakes. Or if they do criticize, they might not be so negative and actually give helpful advice.

I've only helped record a couple of books with LibriVox, and while I've cringed at some of my readings, I've generally thought they were OK. While some of us aren't the greatest readers, I think we all get a little better with each reading and additional experience.

Martin Geeson is one of the first readers I listened to on LibriVox, and he's become a sort of hallmark for me. There are many, many, many other readers I've enjoyed on the site, but I personally feel that if LibriVox were to give the equivalent of an academy award for reading, the statue awarded would be called "The Geeson". :clap:
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚
MARTIN GEESON

Post by MARTIN GEESON »

That's very, very kind of you.

I think something inside me is beginning to repair itself.. :)

All the best
Martin
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Martin, you have received a new review on the Oscar Wilde Art and Morality. It says:
Goodness, members of the public, never has a previous commenter been so wrong! I normally don't bother reviewing, but this really got my blood boiling! Mr Geeson is a professional and I feel HONORED to have had the pleasure to listen to this book!

Now please do me a favour and dust off that coat and the lacy frills and come back to me, my dear Valmont! Oh, what I must endure, all this patient waiting is killing me! :wink:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

It looks like Internet Archive has just changed the SHARE button to an UPLOAD FILES button.

David O

Update: This thread has had no activity in over a year. I am removing the STICKY.