Internet Archive Question/Comment/Help Thread

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
internetarchive

Post by internetarchive »

Hey guys,

Just thought I'd make a thread for any questions and/or problems you have with the archive. Feel free to PM or email me as well.

Alex
abuie@archive.org
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

Can we sticky this, oh great adminsters?
Bev

There's nothing you can't prove if your outlook is only sufficiently limited. - Lord Peter Wimsey
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam - Popeye, the sailor man
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice - Neil Peart
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Would someone else check this, please? After the last few weeks, I am beginning to question what I actually see.

On any LibriVox item page on the Internet Archive, the new audio player only shows the first 21 tracks, however many files there should be.

Example:
http://www.archive.org/details/wuthering_heights_rg_librivox The book has 34 chapters, but only the first 21 display in the new audio player. The old player shows them all.

http://www.archive.org/details/20000_leagues_under_the_seas_librivox 47 chapters, only 21 available in player.

I tested this on Opera 11.51, Internet Explorer 7, and Firefox 6.0.1. Firefox is even worse - it won't even return to the old player for me.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

I have Firefox 7.0.1 and Opera 11.50
The old player shows all files, the new video player shows only 21 files.
Switch back works with both browsers.
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Thanks, HP. I was trying to remember the one Starlite had trouble with originally because of the number of sections. It was http://librivox.org/the-lincoln-story-book-by-henry-l-williams/ We found out the hard way then that the maximum no. of sections in an archive.org item was 255, so when we notify archive.org of this problem, we must ask that they ensure that the player will also display up to 255 tracks.

Ruth
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Reported on IA forum.

Ruth
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

I am apparently wrong. All tracks can be seen.

Could other people please look at http://www.archive.org/post/394824/new-video-audio-player-insufficient-tracks and tell me what YOU see? My Flash plug-in is up to date, I have tried viewing on three browsers. Am I going mad?

Ruth
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I see the same as you -not all files on new player - and can't scroll

Anne
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Thank you! That's a relief. I was beginning to think I had lost my marbles, which in current circs would not be surprising. Fortunately Detective John Carter of Mars agrees with us, and he must be as sane as I am with a name like that. Perhap Jeff Kaplan didn't read my post carefully, and was looking at the old player.

Ruth
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

I'm with you Ruth. Only 21 on the new player, in Ubuntu Firefox 3.6.23 and I can switch back and forth between the old and new players.
Bev

There's nothing you can't prove if your outlook is only sufficiently limited. - Lord Peter Wimsey
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam - Popeye, the sailor man
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice - Neil Peart
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Thank you for your help. Jeff says he was mistaken and will bring it up with the IA people on Monday. :clap:

Ruth
(now confirmed sane, at least in this instance)
Claire

Post by Claire »

I know that with all of the changes being made (new server, etc.) that some of our features have not been working properly. Does this include the LibriVox new releases feed? I have it on my blog but I just noticed that it's completely blank right now (on my blog). Did the URL change?

Thanks!
Lee Ann
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

I believe the New Releases feed is one of the things that is temporarily out of service, yes. Cataloging of newly completed projects is also on hold for the moment while things get straightened out, so there isn't anything to feed into it anyway. :) The tech gurus are busy working on it behind the scenes, so we hope to have it up and running very soon.
Laurie Anne
Claire

Post by Claire »

Thanks, Laurie Anne! :)
internetarchive

Post by internetarchive »

Whoops, I guess email notifications weren't working on this thread. My apologies.

The new audio player *should* work now -- Tracey's pushed a fix that supposedly fixes it. Please report back and let me know if you still see issues. (It always worked for me in FF5-7, but I'm on Linux, so maybe that plays into it)