How do I download a book from Internet Archive?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
fshort

Post by fshort »

fshort would be happy to help read Autobiography Memories and Experiences-Vol 1 by Moncure Daniel Conway.
MAY I purchase the book from Amazon.com? I got myself a virtual library card at Internet Archive but I was unsuccessful in downloading the book. I kept getting into the section where I could send (share) my document material instead of receiving (uploading or is it downloading) the book into my documents (or wherever.)
Florence Short
"...he not busy being born is busy dying."
Lyrics from Bob Dylan song
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

If you want to download an out-of-copyright book from Internet Archive, you don't need to have a library card or be logged in at all.

Right-click this link and select Save link as (FireFox) or Save Target as (Internet Explorer)

http://www.archive.org/download/autobiographymem01conwuoft/autobiographymem01conwuoft_bw.pdf

and save the document as a PDF. This will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view it, but I expect you already have this on your computer. If not, post here, and I will read you through how to get it.

Now, the question is, what do you want to do with it? As far as I know, no-one has started a project to record this book, and it looks a big undertaking for a new reader to contemplate alone.

May I suggest that you post it in Book Suggestions, to see if anyone is willing to start this up as a Group Project?

Quote the Internet Archive link of:

http://www.archive.org/details/autobiographymem01conwuoft

and tell people something about it, so that you whet their interest. :)

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
fshort

Post by fshort »

Thank you for your reply! I have downloaded the book and it is now on my desktop. The only reason I picked this book was that it popped up on my topic on Librivox as "Memoirs of an Abolitionist," with a red note,"Help us read this book." I saw that Section 10,
Chapter 9 from p. 97-112 was available. I have a 12 year old great nephew who wants to help me. (He does Voice Overs and movies at home.)

What I had planned to do was to read short poems by Walter Savage Landor, 1775-1864 as a beginning for my new "career." This is a better idea than reading Chapter 9.

I'm making myself do a little something each day so I don't lose courage. Can you access my test? Do you have advise?
Can I send my poem readings directly to you.

Yup, I've got a lot to learn.
Florence Short
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

You must have seen my signature. ;) It is a group project - the book name doesn't really tell what the content is, which is why I said "Memoirs of an Abolitionist" in my sig.

Your great nephew will need his own forum name/account so we can credit him properly. Since he's under 13, he'll need to have adult permission to record for us as well.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

I'm making myself do a little something each day so I don't lose courage.
That sounds a very good idea. I promise you it will soon get easier that way. Never be afraid to ask if you don't understand something. There are always plenty of people here who will be only too happy to help. (We are all nervous at first, by the way.)

Poems are a very good way to start, and to build up your confidence. They can be submitted straight into the Short Poetry Collection, which you will find HERE.

Read the top post of that topic carefully - it will tell you exactly what you need to say for the introduction etc., and what to do with your file when you have recorded it. :)

Good luck!

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
fshort

Post by fshort »

My statement was unclear about my great nephew. He isn't going to do any recording. He just gives me computer advise. He is so cute and so clever and patient. He tells me how to delete long spaces and things like that.
Florence Short