Audiobooks released since 5 November all show zero hits at archive.org

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

My recording of The Charterhouse of Parma was released on 6 November this year, and I've noticed that it's still showing at archive.org as having had no downloads. That struck me as a bit odd, though to be honest I'm not sure how quickly archive.org normally picks up and reports stats on downloads.

This morning I used a complex search and filtering to reveal all Librivox recordings released since 5 November this year, and they're all showing zero downloads.

Does anyone know if this is just the usual state of affairs? If not, is it possible archive.org's download number reporting is broken?
SowasVon

Post by SowasVon »

While I cannot say what the reason is, 1) this has happened before, but last time, it didn't persist for such a long time - after a week or two or so (IIRC), the numbers suddenly jumped up and 2) your book has been listened to, since there are 2 reviews already (one is just stars, the other has text, too) for it on this website, which only forwards visitors to archive.org: https://www.librivox.app/book/19600
"You're on Librivox? Pffft. You just like to hear yourself talk."
"Yuuuup." :mrgreen:
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

TheBanjo wrote: November 26th, 2023, 3:44 pm Does anyone know if this is just the usual state of affairs? If not, is it possible archive.org's download number reporting is broken?
It's not entirely clear if it updates on a particular schedule, and/or if some Archive pages get skipped now and then. InTheDesert has spent some time digging into this, and found some info you might find useful:
viewtopic.php?p=2133869#p2133869

Assuming I'm looking at the right project, you can check the total view count at this address:
https://be-api.us.archive.org/views/v1/short/CharterhouseParma_2311_librivox
As of now, I see an 'all_time' count of '12,343'. Many of those will be from automated bots and crawlers (like that librivox.app site, which is run by a third party), but it may be fun to watch the number go up anyways. :wink:
I'll be out for a bit on this last weekend of April, but still checking in as I get the chance. I will try to follow up on Monday, with anything I can't do on the go.
Beeswaxcandle

Post by Beeswaxcandle »

There is complex network of page caches happening that causes IA to display older results rather than completely up-to-date. It's actually quite expensive (data-wise) to maintain the database, let alone constantly updating view counts for every one of the works and webpages that they host. Even just the audio alone is over 15 million items. Add to that the 39 million printed and scanned texts with multiple file types each, and the 869 billion web-pages, along with 27 million other media items in the library—it's a huge undertaking.
"Just because you can doesn't mean you should"—my first law of life.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Thanks for the explanation. :thumbs:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

I have learned so much from these answers, all of them. Thank you so much to all who have helped enlighten me in ways far beyond what I was expecting.
What a great community this is!