VIDEO TUTORIALS FOR LIBRIVOX

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

All tutorial videos can now be found in our wiki at http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Instructional_Videos

That's it folks, nothing more to see here so head on over to he link above and immerse yourself in our catalog of videos. Well, what are you waiting for? They are begging for your attention and enjoyment.

I should mention that it is now February 2022 and I am editing this. My highest priority is remaking some of the older ones so they are smoother. And of course adding ones that you feel need to be done. Actually that is not true; my highest priority is getting some more gumbo in me but videos come right after that, I promise. Keep recording!!! and Proof Listening! And making cover art! :thumbs: Image
Last edited by philchenevert on December 27th, 2011, 11:32 am, edited 39 times in total.
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

Phil, I was thinking: at some point it would be nice to put links to each video here, maybe?

Phil and I have also been discussing how easy it would be to make these videos available in other languages. apparently, we only need someone to record the text in another language, and the same video track could be used.
I can start with the French at some point, maybe other people would like to do German? Portuguese? Spanish? Italian?
Nadine

Les enfants du capitaine Grant

Live in a death + 70 country? Have a look at Legamus
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Hey Phil, great job with your videos! It's nice to have them all in one place - and putting in a link would be great!
neckertb wrote: Phil and I have also been discussing how easy it would be to make these videos available in other languages. apparently, we only need someone to record the text in another language, and the same video track could be used.
I can start with the French at some point, maybe other people would like to do German? Portuguese? Spanish? Italian?
I'm in principle willing to do it for German (if I only need to translate what Phil is saying and not be more creative...). Note however, that for example Audacity comes in several language versions. No point in explaining in German how to export a file if the video uses the English version of it... :wink:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

I don't know about the German version of Audacity, but the French one has plenty of stuff untranslated and still in English. Which is why I use English only (less confusing than Frenglish)
I'd say it's better than nothing to do a first go like this. All the newbie needs to do is change the language in preferences, then the options come in the same order, right?
Oh, wait, how about a video to explain how to change the language in Audacity? :wink:
Nadine

Les enfants du capitaine Grant

Live in a death + 70 country? Have a look at Legamus
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Thanks for the feedback. I am really excited about the potential of making Librivox more accessible to more people. Recording is fun but this is exciting.

1. I will put the links next to the videos so they can be quickly copied (why didn't I think of that? duh.)

2. Language. I (or anyone for that matter, they are PD naturally) can take an audio file and pop it into the video fairly easily, replacing my narration with a nice Italian or Spanish or French version. To make such a recording, just bring up Audacity or your favorite program, run the video and translate as it runs. Leaving out the clicks, stumbles and irrelevant stuff of course, adding comments and jokes as you feel the urge and explaining things I left out. why not have fun? :D Being a beat behind what is happening on the screen will probably be a good addition.

The shortest video is "Stereo to Mono", so why not make a quick file and send it to me? There is definitely a need to encourage multi languages on Librivox and this may help.
This may not be the best solution but we have to start somewhere, eh?

3. Audacity language version. Yes, some tings are in different order in different languages. :hmm: I can definitely make a video about changing languages but as for tutorial videos, that may require some thought as to the best 'generic' way of doing it.
any ideas?

:D
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Phil to make your first post neater, use the bbc code (I think that's what it is called)

Code: Select all

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqmCOxOs_pM]Setting LibriVox technical specs in Audacity[/url]
Will give you this:
Setting LibriVox technical specs in Audacity

I know you know how to do it and it just looks nicer. (Not to make more work for you or anything. ;))

Esther :)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Starlite wrote:Phil to make your first post neater, use the bbc code (I think that's what it is called)

Code: Select all

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqmCOxOs_pM]Setting LibriVox technical specs in Audacity[/url]
Will give you this:
Setting LibriVox technical specs in Audacity
I know you know how to do it and it just looks nicer. (Not to make more work for you or anything. ;))
Esther :)
HA! thanks Esther. You are absolutely correct. If you will watch my new video that I'm so proud of "Put A Web Link in Your Signature" I even explain how to do this, (although I use the technical term "prettier" instead of neater). And then forgot to do it in my own post! :oops: duh. :?
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

philchenevert wrote:If you will watch my new video that I'm so proud of "Put A Web Link in Your Signature" I even explain how to do this, (although I use the technical term "prettier" instead of neater).
Looks good phil!

Esther :clap:
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
Guero

Post by Guero »

This is great, Phil! :thumbs:
John
"...what kind of internal wiring in my grandmother's mind enabled her...To condense fact from the vapor of nuance." -- Neal Stephenson
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Only one thing that bothers me ever so slightly - we don't allow commercial links in signatures as these are perceived as spam. I think you said something like "add whatever you like" somewhere. See wiki

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

RuthieG wrote:Only one thing that bothers me ever so slightly - we don't allow commercial links in signatures as these are perceived as spam. I think you said something like "add whatever you like" somewhere. See wiki

Ruth
Ruth. Could you clarify that a bit? I certainly don't want to contribute to spam in any way but I'm not really sure what external links you mean. All of the videos so far have been uploaded You Tube so the links do lead there. Is that it? Anyway, let me know so we can nip any potential problem in the bud.
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

I don't think she's referring to your signature, but rather to the fact that you're telling users they can put whatever they like in their signature, and in the past, spammers have used signatures as a way to insert weird links in the forum. LV related sigs (catalog page, projects in process, wiki links, etc), personal blogs/pages are ok, but commercial pages are treated with suspicion because of previous experience.
Karen S.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Oh. Well that's certainly fixable. I will put it on the 'needs fixin' list.

I can slap a note directly onto any of my videos on youtube. Any suggestions as to wording.

"Please no links in your signature to commercial enterprises; Librivox aims at being a spam free zone. Your peronal pages and blogs of course are welcome" ?

???
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

Sounds about right. :)
Karen S.
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Karen wrote:I don't think she's referring to your signature, but rather to the fact that you're telling users they can put whatever they like in their signature, and in the past, spammers have used signatures as a way to insert weird links in the forum.
Yes, that's exactly what I meant. I wasn't very clear, was I? :oops:
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding