VIDEO TUTORIALS FOR LIBRIVOX

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

neckertb wrote:It translates "discover that you've lost, relax!" with "discover that you relax, loose!"

I don't think that works so well in French...
I will send you those audio files soon.
In Spanish that line is translated as "discover that it has from your equipment or simply relax lost"

And "proof-listener sends a message" comes out as "the listen of test of sending a message"

And "but the file is nowhere to be found" comes out as "but the dossier of the is where it's found"

(sorry, didn't get much beyond Vox Libri before; ran out of time)
Karen S.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Update: Just finished a new video about File Names and ID3 tags since they seem to cause some new recorders a spot of trouble:

File Names and ID3 Tags for Librivox Files - Getting them exactly right

:D :roll:
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

That's good Phil. I didn't know you can save the ID info!! Taught me something new again.

Esther :clap:
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

I like your style, Phil. Very friendly and fun. :)

Can you alter the heading of these things? This one is a bit wonky:
Setting LivriVos Audacity Tech specs.mpg

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

RuthieG wrote:I like your style, Phil. Very friendly and fun. :)

Setting LivriVos Audacity Tech specs.mpg I will find and delete the other one. thanks.

Ruth
Thanks Ruth. Yeah, I do tend towards the irreverent in a lot of things. It's not deliberate, it's just the way my mind works; glad you like it and hope most people don't find it distasteful.

EDIT: Ah, you mean the video does not work! I tried your link and it only runs about 1 minute and stops. Hmmmmm. probably that link is to an earlier video. I notice it is in mpg format which is suspicious. This link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqmCOxOs_pM works. I will track down the bad one and delete it. thanks

where did you get the link to that bad video? I found that I had somehow uploaded another version to youtube and it was this one that was truncated. It has been removed now so the link wont work but I'd like to clean up wherever you found it.

:D
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

philchenevert wrote:
RuthieG wrote:I like your style, Phil. Very friendly and fun. :)

Setting LivriVos Audacity Tech specs.mpg I will find and delete the other one. thanks.

Ruth
Thanks Ruth. Yeah, I do tend towards the irreverent in a lot of things. It's not deliberate, it's just the way my mind works; glad you like it and hope most people don't find it distasteful.

EDIT: Ah, you mean the video does not work! (at first I thought the title was wonky; which it is) I tried your link and it only runs about 1 minute and stops. Hmmmmm. probably that link is to an earlier video. I notice it is in mpg format which is suspicious. This link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqmCOxOs_pM works. I will track down the bad one and delete it. thanks

where did you get the link to that bad video? I found that I had somehow uploaded another version to youtube and it was this one that was truncated. It has been removed now so the link wont work but I'd like to clean up wherever you found it.

:D
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

It was the top one in the suggestions list to the right on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POcpjp-T4EU but it isn't there any more, so presumably your removing it has also removed it from the suggestions list.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Yes and thanks for pointing out that it was strange.
The mystery is how did I manage to upload another truncated version? who knows.
:roll: :?: but apparently I did it.
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Phil, I was lurking in the test thread and it came up as to WHY we record at the volume we do. This was my answer:
Hi Dennis. Here we aim for about 89 dB. The reason being that when listening in a vehicle, one must overcome the road noise. I know for myself, if the original file is too low, my car stereo will only up the volume so much and I find it difficult to hear the voice over all the road noise.

I've downloaded some 'professional' podcasts from CBC and noticed a HUGE variation in volume on them. Some are so quiet, I wouldn't be able to hear them in my car. Needless to say, I amplify them in audacity before putting on my mp3 player.

Your volume is ok but I would like to see it a touch louder. (See what Tricia thinks). The volume should be comfortable to listen to at half volume.
I thought this may be nice to incorporate into a video..... maybe the one one increasing volume.

Esther :)
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Starlite wrote:Phil, I was lurking in the test thread and it came up as to WHY we record at the volume we do. This was my answer:
Hi Dennis. Here we aim for about 89 dB. The reason being that when listening in a vehicle, one must overcome the road noise. I know for myself, if the original file is too low, my car stereo will only up the volume so much and I find it difficult to hear the voice over all the road noise.
I've downloaded some 'professional' podcasts from CBC and noticed a HUGE variation in volume on them. Some are so quiet, I wouldn't be able to hear them in my car. Needless to say, I amplify them in audacity before putting on my mp3 player.
Your volume is ok but I would like to see it a touch louder. (See what Tricia thinks). The volume should be comfortable to listen to at half volume.
I thought this may be nice to incorporate into a video..... maybe the one one increasing volume.
Esther (love your name by the way); you may notice there is no real "Volume" video. I've made several false starts then quit in frustration. This is because it is so difficult to put this subject into a box of any kind! I've researched the wiki and there are just too many variations of computer set up, too many different microphones, too many audio programs that I am not familiar with, too many ... well just too many for any simple solutions. I suppose individual videos to deal with each set up would be nice :roll: :shock:. So I'm waiting for inspiration to hit me with a brick as to the best way to deal with this big and persistent problem. With that said, I will definitely include the 'why we need it loud' in whathever is finally produced.
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

philchenevert wrote: Esther (love your name by the way); you may notice there is no real "Volume" video. I've made several false starts then quit in frustration. This is because it is so difficult to put this subject into a box of any kind! I've researched the wiki and there are just too many variations of computer set up, too many different microphones, too many audio programs that I am not familiar with, too many ... well just too many for any simple solutions. I suppose individual videos to deal with each set up would be nice :roll: :shock:. So I'm waiting for inspiration to hit me with a brick as to the best way to deal with this big and persistent problem. With that said, I will definitely include the 'why we need it loud' in whathever is finally produced.
Phil,

"There are many roads to Rome." Trying to keep track of all the ways to get there is difficult. What about focusing on the end result instead of the means to get there.

I think it would help to concentrate on the basics and similarities instead of all the variation. I would suggest picking a few examples of recording (microphone, computer set up, software settings) and a few examples of how you can test the recording with playing software (software, mp3 players, CDs) or test with editing software (like Audacity or Garageband).

David O
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

That's a great idea. If more people could 'test' their own test files, maybe they wouldn't have had to send it in multiple times. ie 'get it right the first time' :D

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Starlite wrote:That's a great idea. If more people could 'test' their own test files, maybe they wouldn't have had to send it in multiple times. ie 'get it right the first time' :D

Since every file must be an MP3 to be uploaded, they could of course quickly test it with MP3Gain prior to sending it. But then if they find it is of low volume, would they know how to increase the volume? I could easily make a video showing people with Audacity 1) how to test this and then 2) increase (or decrease) the volume the right amount.

I already have a video describing MP3Gain and how to use it, and one on Amplifying using Audacity.
Unless they have clips of course, :? which would stop any amplification.

I am open to anything you think might be helpful in any way.
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Ok here is something:

What happens to my test recording once I've posted it? Do I have to wait till someone tells me how it is and do I have to make another test if this one is not ok?

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I think just showing a visual on the volume in Audacity would be good. You know how we have that graphic we sometimes post in test threads that says, "your wave forms should look something like this"? Well, maybe show an example or two of too quiet, and an example or two of too loud, then something just about right.

Show how to adjust volume (what we say in our spiel about getting the volume up: make sure the mic slider in Audacity is all the way up, and increase the input volume in Windows).

(Thinking as I write this...)

If I were making such a video, I'd probably do something like this:
- Record a sample that's way too low (pimples on the base line, or a little more)
- Show a visual of a sample that's "just right"
- Up the mic slider in Audacity
- Record again
- Still a little to low (compare with "just right" again)
- Adjust volume in Windows
- Record again
- Too high! Clipping, perhaps
- Adjust Windows volume down a little
- Ah, just right!

Then I might mention mic placement (plosives and how to avoid, yet getting close to the mic as well).

If there's time in the video, I might mention MP3Gain to measure the volume, but more just refer to the other video than rehash it all.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart