VIDEO TUTORIALS FOR LIBRIVOX

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

philchenevert wrote: January 10th, 2020, 9:06 pm Truthfully, I don't use it at all any more. Personalized keyboard shortcuts coupled with my AutoHot Keys give me smooth control of editing and allows me to adjust silences precisely so quickly by ear that I prefer this way. Truly, AutoHot Keys is an amazing tool. I can see the use in DRs of course.
Just saw this. What are AutoHot keys? Have you done a video of this marvel?
linny

Post by linny »

KevinS wrote: January 17th, 2020, 9:04 am
philchenevert wrote: January 10th, 2020, 9:06 pm Truthfully, I don't use it at all any more. Personalized keyboard shortcuts coupled with my AutoHot Keys give me smooth control of editing and allows me to adjust silences precisely so quickly by ear that I prefer this way. Truly, AutoHot Keys is an amazing tool. I can see the use in DRs of course.
See the last two videos. https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Instructional_Videos
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

linny wrote: January 17th, 2020, 9:17 am
KevinS wrote: January 17th, 2020, 9:04 am
See the last two videos. https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Instructional_Videos
Thank you!
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

I am happy for you Kevin. Truncate those silences with ease and aplomb now. Image Happy Mardi Gras season.
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Phil,

Oh master of all things, I have an Audacity feature lust that I hope you can help with. When I am editing dramatic works, I often want to amplify "up" some phrases by a couple of dB, and amplify "down" some phrases by a couple dB. For "amplify down" I'd say "deamplify" instead, but Audacity only has a single amplify effect with minus dBs if you want reduced volume.

This is generally fine, but it means that I am constantly having to invoke the amplify effect and change the dBs, from +2 for one phrase perhaps to -2 dB the next phrase as I go through a play of something. I can't use the very helpful control-R "repeat effect". (And of course you know what happens to a scatter brain like me - I forget that I just amplified "up" something and use Control R on the next phrase I want to amplify "down" and now I have to "edit/undo effect" before I invoke amplify and give a negative Db number.)

Any ideas how I can have both an amplify and a deamplify separately available? (Hey, how is this different from having your cake and eating it too?)

Thanks, Todd
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

You bet Todd. As master of all things I am busy helping the universe expand and fruit flies in Italy mutate, but I'll take a few minutes off to say that I do what you are talking about frequently.

I rely on two things in Audacity that keep me sane: 1) customizing some keys to zoom in (my A key) and out (my D key) & a few other things. and 2) use AutoHot keys to perform other actions repeatedly with just a key stroke. This latter is what I use to amplify down a section or amplify up a section among other things.

The video for personalizing my keys is http://youtu.be/PHzARvzNPGQ
and the video for AutoHot Keys is http://youtu.be/0JXQvTS4We8

I haven't watched them in awhile so if they are confusing let me know it may be time to remake 'em. I really do rely on these shortcuts ALL the time when editing and don't know how frustrating it can be to go through the same steps over and over again.

Here is a copy of my AutoHot key script. If you haven't used it, it won't make sense but I can explain:EDIT: script for amplify X2 is not shown, t his must be an earlier version but it is easy to add.

#NoEnv ; Recommended for performance and compatibility with future AutoHotkey releases.
SendMode Input ; Recommended for new scripts due to its superior speed and reliability.
SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir% ; Ensures a consistent starting directory.

;delete a marked range:
SC03A & d::
{
Send, z
Send, {Delete}
Send, {Left 20}
Send, ^2
Send, {Space}
}
Return

Deamplify x3
{
SC03A & 3::
Send, !c
Send, A
Send, {Enter}
Send, -3
Send, {Enter}
Send, {Left 40}
Send, ^2
Send, {space}
Return
}
Return

;deamplify x 4
{
SC03A & 4::
Send, !c
Send, A
Send, {Enter}
Send, -4
Send, {Enter}
Send, {Left 40}
Send, ^2
Send, {space}
Return
}
Return

;deamplify x 15
{
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thanks. Way past my computer ability, but I will try....

Todd
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

ToddHW wrote: January 22nd, 2020, 1:10 pm Thanks. Way past my computer ability, but I will try....

Todd
Yeah, that was a lot of info Todd. I will make a little video just for you that will be simpler. I cringe at thinking of the six million times you need to amplify and deamplify sections. Over and over and over again. :roll:
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I just did the key personalization - I never realized that I could enter numbers for dB to amplify but have always used the slider which was hard. Just being able to press "A" and then entering a "2" or a "-2" is a big step.

Thanks, Todd
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

ToddHW wrote: January 22nd, 2020, 2:33 pm I just did the key personalization - I never realized that I could enter numbers for dB to amplify but have always used the slider which was hard. Just being able to press "A" and then entering a "2" or a "-2" is a big step.

Thanks, Todd
YES!!! YES!! you are on you way to happiness Todd! That is a great first step; many more just like exist make our lives easier. It's like constantly getting out of your car to turn the front wheels manually to make a turn and then realizing that that steering wheel can do the job for you!. :D
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

ToddHW wrote: January 22nd, 2020, 2:33 pm I just did the key personalization - I never realized that I could enter numbers for dB to amplify but have always used the slider which was hard. Just being able to press "A" and then entering a "2" or a "-2" is a big step.

Thanks, Todd
I do this for my amplification needs when editing DRs, and it works a treat! (I don't use the A key, but that's just my personal preference.) I'm glad you found this feature. I was just about to suggest it. I'm in awe that you've been using the slider all this while! I don't think I've ever even touched it.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Unlike Phil, who awes me with his computer skill and digital daring, I am of the age that considers doing anything on the computer to be dicing with death, and at any moment likely to return all of civilization back to the dark ages. The private conversations with my Librivox mentor here while I cataloged my first project - all the time expressing great fears that I would personally crash the Librivox MW database if not the entire Internet - are likely quite amusing if unearthed and examined now, but they were not enjoyable at the time.

So I methodically use the Audacity dropdown menus (such as "effect menu/ pick the amplify effect/ then carefully move the slider only to the few preselected numbers" - cuz what might happen if I mistakenly picked a value not already defined? The Blue Screen of Death?). I don't typically try things that I haven't seen very well explained in the writeups and FAQ and help forums. And then if I do try something, it is only with one hand on the undo key and the other on my computer's power plug in case there is smoke generated.

(And if you are really looking for amusement someday, you should see me try to type.... I only stopped using a fountain pen when it was going to require learning how to do online shopping to get ink for it.)

But I saw the use of amplification numbers in Phil's source code above and unsurprisingly it did work even for me.

Thanks, Todd
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

A new video for those frustrated LibriVoxers who are thinking of just quitting. Your experience is valuable, hang in there!. https://youtu.be/NH4Y5E-hUjo

DON'T QUIT librivox - at least not yet!

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Phil,

Nice message. You do this video stuff very well.

I might add a fourth option message: IF "you" do still want to leave Librivox, whether in frustration over the technical stuff or to take a break because of "real life" concerns or just to see if there is something else different you want to do for a while, know that you will be welcomed back when you return. Just let us know you are leaving - maybe just for a while - so we can get any claims covered by other readers.

Thanks, Todd
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

An excellent point Todd and one I overlooked. The type of person who comes here is usually a helpful, caring type of person with broad interests and may very probably want to return later. They need to know they will be welcomed back. I may make a little addition to the video and replace it. I have recently become aware of the great wisdom of just waiting a bit before quitting other things in my own life due to frustration. It's kinda sad that we (me) don't learn this type of thing earlier in life. <sigh> oh well, a bit of wisdom is good even if it is very late. :D