VIDEO TUTORIALS FOR LIBRIVOX

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

philchenevert wrote:An older video has been replaced:

Saving and Uploading A Recording

has been replaced by a new one "Uploading Your Recording to LibriVox".

http://youtu.be/xf6_YtNjvBY

the new one fixed a few things and is more up to date I think. :D
O.K.--Well, I clicked on the link above and watched that video. It shows to be 7:05 in length (not 7:29)--so maybe I did not watch the same video that Ruth is referring to--?? :roll:
Kind regards,
Lucretia
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

RuthieG wrote:Then I feel greatly honoured that the Martians have chosen to contact me only. This is understandable, of course - the point at which they chose to display their historic announcement is surely no accident.

[image deleted for national security reasons]
Ruth
Ohhhhh. THAT video. Yeah, I remember putting that into an older one about our fabulous forums or something. But it's only on the screen for 5 seconds or so. And that was before I became a magical mythical creature myself. Image
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Not sure if you already know this, but the "How to Edit Plays..." video only plays until the 8:27 mark. At that precise moment it just stops. When I try to skip a bit and make it play some fragment after 8:27 it just goes back to that moment.
Pity, because I've recently become interested in improving my editing skills.
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Piotrek81 wrote:Not sure if you already know this, but the "How to Edit Plays..." video only plays until the 8:27 mark. At that precise moment it just stops. When I try to skip a bit and make it play some fragment after 8:27 it just goes back to that moment.
Pity, because I've recently become interested in improving my editing skills.
Nope, I did not know that and will check it out. probably an upload to YouTube problem. Thanks
catrose

Post by catrose »

It works for me (I only remember because my split-second of fame is at 14:27! :) )
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
Cori

Post by Cori »

Hmm, same here, working fine. Have you updated it already, Phil? Can you play other long videos from Phil, Piotrek?
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

OK, I had no problems at the second attempt :thumbs:

I wonder about one thing; you said, Phil, that this is basic editing. How much more should I know before I volunteer to edit a play/dramatic reading? Is this "basic" stuff enough? Do you plan to do other videos dealing with editing?

Also, I understand that you edit bits before they are PLed?
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
catrose

Post by catrose »

I'm sure I'm qualified to answer these questions (with my two Dramatic Readings ongoing, my Romeo and Juliet, my helping to BC (well, babysitting) Amanda's Dram. Readings and my PLing a great deal of them (19 at my last count :) )
Piotrek81 wrote:How much more should I know before I volunteer to edit a play/dramatic reading? Is this "basic" stuff enough?
Yep, no more than this is required! :) I wouldn't really call this the basic stuff, because it is kind of difficult to get it any more complicated. The other method (Todd's method) involves labeling the track using the ctrl+b so you know where who comes in. Oh, and there's the Gloriana method, where you cut out all stage directions that are about how the role is to be performed (like "laughing" or "joyfully").
Also, I understand that you edit bits before they are PLed?
No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no.
Some plays do, because we have a major lack of people willing to PL dramatic projects (there's me and Alan and Betty and Elli and Tisha and a few others, but really, we almost always have 50 projects on going and at least 12 of these don't have a DPL)
If there is a DPL you MUST MUST MUST (ok, you should!) wait for them to OK a role before you edit. It means that mistakes are caught before the editing stage, and means that projects go quicker :D
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

catrose wrote:The other method (Todd's method) involves labeling the track using the ctrl+b so you know where who comes in. Oh, and there's the Gloriana method, where you cut out all stage directions that are about how the role is to be performed (like "laughing" or "joyfully").
Did they describe their methods in detail somewhere?

Also, I noticed a thread devoted to editing in the Dramatic Works subforum, but I suppose I will have to go through it a few times. I found it hard to understand the descriptions posted there at the first reading. Plus, I'll need to read what our invaluable wiki has to say about it :mrgreen:
catrose

Post by catrose »

Piotrek81 wrote: Also, I noticed a thread devoted to editing in the Dramatic Works subforum, but I suppose I will have to go through it a few times.
Ignore that. It is really really outdated (6 years old!) and doesn't make much sense.
Also, the LV Wiki doesn't have a section on Editing a Dramatic Work yet. Give me a few hours and I'll create one! :D I'll PM Todd and Elizabeth and Arielle (they are the editing experts) and see if they have any secrets to put on there. And I'll link Phil's video.

Note to self: I also need to create a page on PLing a Dramatic Work.

Also, editing is one thing that it's best learning through experience! :) If you want, you can have a chapter or two of my Rose o' the River to edit (when it's ready to edit). I created that work so that I had something to practice on, but now it seems more appropriate to be used to gain editing experience without having to worry about BCing a Dramatic Work. Hobbit, Victoria, Beth and Ashleigh have all offered to take a few chapters (the entire thing shouldn't be longer than three hours, so the chapters are short) and I'd be happy for anyone else to take one or two (I'll just add that Rose shan't be ready to edit for a month or so yet, I'm having a hard time attracting readers)
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Everything Cat (who is indeed extremely well qualified!) and the others have said is right on. I agree with them.

But note that I was very careful to title my video "HOW I EDIT ....". It is not meant to be the standard approach, just what I do to give potential editors an idea of what is involved in DR editing. EAch of us develops our own style but the basics are the same; take a bunch of tracks and turn them into a nice sounding single track.

The video was also meant to encourage people to give it a try; to see how simple the concept is. So i encourage you to try it if you wish. Its fun. Image
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Do you have any plans to do a step-by-step video for those who would like to BC their first group project? I know that there already is one (?) about some aspects of it (something MW-related, I think) and there are instructions (the BC readiness questionnaire thingy, etc.), but I guesss it would be easier to just see some things instead to read about them.
sonnethaiku

Post by sonnethaiku »

Piotrek81 wrote:Do you have any plans to do a step-by-step video for those who would like to BC their first group project? I know that there already is one (?) about some aspects of it (something MW-related, I think) and there are instructions (the BC readiness questionnaire thingy, etc.), but I guesss it would be easier to just see some things instead to read about them.
Hear hear! I would love a video all about being the big BC.
~ Chessie Joy
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

With the workflow revamp (Mellon Project), it wouldn't be practical to do a new video at this point, since the processes are going to be changing slightly. (Nothing major, but it would be like doing a video for Windows Vista, when all the world is on Windows 7 and/or 8 already.)

Out of curiosity, what kinds of things are you interested in for a BC video? There are so many aspects to it - and so many variations - that a comprehensive video containing all the "what do you do when THIS happens" situations (such as the things in the BC Readiness Quiz) would be VERY long.

I could see one with the following (if there isn't one or a series already):
1. Using the project template generator to begin a project
1a. Determining number of sections in a project
2. Post the project in the Launch Pad
2a. Double check everything to make sure it pertains to this project ("Chapter" or "Section" in the intros/outros? etc.)
3. Once there's an MC, fill in the MW
3a. Adding the section titles, including the leading section number
3b. Optional: word counts
3c. Optional: direct link to text (Gutenberg, Archive, Google Doc [which is the last resort])
4. Entering claims
4a. Welcoming newbies, getting catalog info & suggesting test recording
4b. Optional: adding claim date
5. Entering submitted sections
6. Maintaining PL notes/PL complete
7. Orphaning sections (when reader has no other claims & when they do)
8. Misc Topics
8a. When a section is read, needs edits, but the reader has disappeared
8b. Keeping track of communication with readers
8c. Any other really common issues?

Wow - just looking at that list, I would say it would be a long video!

As I'm writing this, I wonder if a BC video would be good or not. Would it encourage inexperienced/newbie members to try BC'ing, when they're not ready yet? :hmm:
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
sonnethaiku

Post by sonnethaiku »

A series of videos would make much more sense, and waiting until the workflow revamp was done and well understood by the video makers also makes lots of sense.

And honestly, just seeing Tricia's list here makes me feel so much better. It looks so much like what my mental list of being a BC was, so now I can worry much less about some huge latent subroutines that all the experienced folks just know about magically that I would have to muck through to figure out.
~ Chessie Joy