VIDEO TUTORIALS FOR LIBRIVOX

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

THere is such a variation in projects - there is no "one size fits all" approach so there often needs to be discussion between the BC and MC to work out the details and MCs are happy to assist. But they are not happy to be left with the whole project because the BC thinks that putting the project up is the end of their job . It is a long term committment , great at the beginning but can be frustrating when chasing the people up for their readings - but rewarding when the project finally reaches the catalogue.
I know some people think it would be good to have everything a step1 step2 step 3 process - but people and projects come in all sizes and colours :D

Anne
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

I agree that a single video would probably end up being epically long and thus unwatchable if it were to cover all the actions on Tricia's list.

I guess I would probably need somethig about managing the MW, BC-wise, and then about how to react in various emergency situations (I know what to do in some cases, having been a DPL in some group projects, but others are a mistery to me). Plus, there are some cases where I'm unsure whose job it is to see to certain things.
That's what I can think about for now.
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Yep, I agree that it would be nice to have a video on being a BC and I have thought seriously about it over the past year or so but as Tricia pointed out, it is a BIG project with so many variables that caution has always caused me to back off. There is no 'simple' way to approach the many layers of responsibility that a BC accepts. There is no way to cover all the myriad of things a BC may need to cover. Sure, it's mostly common sense but that ain't easy to explain.

Plus, the 'quiz' for aspirant BC's in our wiki scared the poop out of me for quite a while. (I STILL fail that quiz. :roll: )

with that said, the closest I've come is the "Doing Your First Solo" video and, though I'm eager to make more videos, that is as far as I will go towards a BC video without the encouragement and guidance of people like Anne and TRicia and other wise people. i'd be glad to make a series following Tricia's outline (which looks great) but will wait for guidance.
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
Cori

Post by Cori »

Perhaps a 'managing the MW as a collab-project BC' video would be good (after the upcoming changes in the next month or three, as Tricia said.)

Otherwise, I think BCing would make a better podcast than video. Videos are great when there's one particularly good way to do things (upload files, make a start on figuring out noise cleaning, find your way around the forums.) Alternatives can be shown, but there's a 'sensible approach' to take. BCing has so much to it, that it might be more interesting -- and honest -- to get varied points of view on what's involved, what the things to watch out for are, hints and tricks.

I definitely agree that there's a danger people will watch the video, however long, and think "yep, that's all I need to know, I'm ready." But really, the first thing to know is whether they're a long-term LibriVoxer and will see the project through. And no newbie knows that. LibriVox is a brilliant project, amazing fun, but until we know how it fits into everything else we do in life ... it's best not to over-commit. And oftimes people won't believe the Voice of Experience on this, they always know they are the exception (and it's true there are plenty!) But if they find out the hard way, that leaves work behind them, substantial work in some cases.

[See also: all the people who start new solos and never submit a file. :roll: ]
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
Loveday

Post by Loveday »

I'm not anywhere near ready to BC yet but I think a podcast is a wonderful idea. I'd definitely listen, it would be really interesting to hear all the different points of view and nuggets of advice, and a great way to get more of a perspective on the process with the hope of putting it into practice in due course.
It's the end of term, so I am back! Thank you for being patient with me, and please PM if I don't seem to have caught an update that I should have seen.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Using the Notch Filter to Remove a 90 Hz Hum http://youtu.be/Iz4QvQXkPPI

Just a quick video to demonstrate me removing an annoying 90 Hz hum from a track. Phil's beanie is spinning Image
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Hi. I'm having a problem with ID3 tags in a section that I've just done. I used you video to try and fix the typo in the file title (using the Open the Metadata Editor feature), but the title still appers with the typo (I didn't save the ID3 tag template the first time, though, and the second time I had to fill in all the data again). How can I fix the problem for good?

EDIT: I tried saving it as you shown. Now when I open Audacity I see correct tags, but when viewing it with the Windows Explorator (is that how this is called in English?) it still appears with a typo.
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

That's strange.

Try going to the file in Windows, RIGHT clicking and select "Properties." Then go to the Details tab. Fix the data in there.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
Cori

Post by Cori »

Windows might be showing ID3 v1 tags which might not be corrected if Audacity takes care of the more normal v2 tags, so you might want to try using Checker (and the ID3 tag tool) to do the edits. Mebbe.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Fixed. Thanks, Tricia. :thumbs:
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

You don't have to save the ID tag template (though it is useful to do so in a solo, because it saves time), as long as you edit the metadata before you export the MP3. Audacity saves it then.

ETA: I mean before you start the export process, not during it.

I suppose you did re-export the MP3 after changing the tag... (teaching grandmother to suck eggs :oops: )

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Ah! I see that my friendly staff of assistants have taken care of your problem. :roll: Glad we could help .....
bebarrett

Post by bebarrett »

Dear Phil,

Thank you for making all these helpful videos. You have made it very simple for those of us that are not tech savvy and that is most appreciated. :clap:

B
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

bebarrett wrote:Dear Phil,

Thank you for making all these helpful videos. You have made it very simple for those of us that are not tech savvy and that is most appreciated. :clap:

B
I am most happy they are helpful B. Let me know if you run across anything that you think a video might be useful for. Image
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Here is a little video I just made called LibriVox: Your User Control Panel.

http://youtu.be/rBPh153PKZM

Someone did not know how to change their location and it seemed the right time to do this.
As an added bonus, I bought a camera and you can see my favorite bathrobe for no extra charge.