VIDEO TUTORIALS FOR LIBRIVOX

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

dlolso21 wrote:Phil,

"There are many roads to Rome." Trying to keep track of all the ways to get there is difficult. What about focusing on the end result instead of the means to get there.

I think it would help to concentrate on the basics and similarities instead of all the variation. I would suggest picking a few examples of recording (microphone, computer set up, software settings) and a few examples of how you can test the recording with playing software (software, mp3 players, CDs) or test with editing software (like Audacity or Garageband).

David O
Many thanks David for the feedback. OK, I am trying to wrap my mind around your suggestions and move in that direction, especially that of the 'end results' that we want to achieve. What we want are MP3 tracks with a good volume (89db plus/minus 4 db). With this in mind, the most common problem with test samples from new recorders is low volume. The next most common problem is probably excessive noise, either from the microphone or the environment. Most people seem to be able to fix the noise situation with guidance from the admins.

So, to get back to your suggestion, are you saying to do a video for people using Windows, and Sound Forge; another for Mac and Audacity; another for Ubuntu and other edidng programs? ,
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

TriciaG wrote:I think just showing a visual on the volume in Audacity would be good. You know how we have that graphic we sometimes post in test threads that says, "your wave forms should look something like this"? Well, maybe show an example or two of too quiet, and an example or two of too loud, then something just about right.

Show how to adjust volume (what we say in our spiel about getting the volume up: make sure the mic slider in Audacity is all the way up, and increase the input volume in Windows).
(Thinking as I write this...)
If I were making such a video, I'd probably do something like this:
- Record a sample that's way too low (pimples on the base line, or a little more)
- Show a visual of a sample that's "just right"
- Up the mic slider in Audacity
- Record again
- Still a little to low (compare with "just right" again)
- Adjust volume in Windows
- Record again
- Too high! Clipping, perhaps
- Adjust Windows volume down a little
- Ah, just right!
Then I might mention mic placement (plosives and how to avoid, yet getting close to the mic as well).
If there's time in the video, I might mention MP3Gain to measure the volume, but more just refer to the other video than rehash it all.
I did something like this about 6 months ago so it may be dated and it does lack a few of your points. If you have time, please check it out so it can be made BETTER!!
How To Tell Your Volume Level in Audacity
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

philchenevert wrote:Phil,

Many thanks David for the feedback. OK, I am trying to wrap my mind around your suggestions and move in that direction, especially that of the 'end results' that we want to achieve. What we want are MP3 tracks with a good volume (89db plus/minus 4 db). With this in mind, the most common problem with test samples from new recorders is low volume. The next most common problem is probably excessive noise, either from the microphone or the environment. Most people seem to be able to fix the noise situation with guidance from the admins.

So, to get back to your suggestion, are you saying to do a video for people using Windows, and Sound Forge; another for Mac and Audacity; another for Ubuntu and other edidng programs?

I did something like this about 6 months ago so it may be dated and it does lack a few of your points. If you have time, please check it out so it can be made BETTER!!
How To Tell Your Volume Level in Audacity
Phil,

I have done some more thinking on the subject of "Volume" videos and have come to the conclusion that more than one is needed. There should be a big general one on "Why is volume important?" with references to other videos, forums or tools available for specific information and situations. For example, I recently found a forum discussion specifically on microphones and microphone testing. It would be great for the "more than one" part over time to could include videos on specific software or computer setups.

Like your existing Audacity video the big "Why" should include too-low, good, and too-high examples of Volume as well as an example of the increase in background noise that can result from using software to increase the too-low volume. I would suggest some information the need for good volume based on our wide audience (different audio equipment {earbuds, headphones, speakers, computers, mp3 players ...} and environments {driving on the road, riding on a bus, treadmill at the gym ...} The quality of the product we produce is something we can control/adjust, the audience is not.

In reviewing your Audacity video, I would recommend it to others as a resource. I like the comparison of the different volumes and pointing out the adjustment controls. The only "improvement" I can suggest is to make the waves for the "good" section be a little bit larger; they look to be peaking about .5 not .8
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Hi everyone. Phil here, asking for the input from your vast experience and wise minds.

I am developing a series of videos targeting new people. So far I've thought of these categories but would like to know your opinions about appropriateness, etc. There would be a general heading VIDEOS FOR NEW PEOPLE and then some listings like these:

1. The Many Ways YOU can Help LibriVox -
explain that we need lots of people doing different things besides recording: proof listening, recording, MP4, uploading to iphones, bit torrenting, helping other newbies, CD Covers. Any more that should be mentioned?

2. The LibriVox Process: Is it Really Magic?
explain how the books get into the catalog. the flow from Book suggestions, thru Launch Pad to REaders wanted and found, claiming sections and finally catologuing. (I am taking this almost directly from our wiki; hope no copyright is infringed :D ). brief explanation of BC, MC and PLs. This one is almost done but still in editing so changes can be made.

3. Newbie Guide to Our Forum
Explain our vocabulary like Forum, Topic, Post, Magic Window, BC, MC, PL; how to subscribe, bookmark and navigate quickly. Also briefly describe their User control Panel, focus on Readers Wanted and how to claim sections. Should I talk about PMs?

4. Welcome to LibriVox ! I feel there should be a video that briefly welcoms all visitors whether looking for books to listen to or to volunteer and points them in the right direction. I know we have a beautiful one already (done several years ago but is still excellent I think http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-cUv2yGzAs) I am thinking of something shorter and more current. Need suggestions here.

5. Finding Your First Things to Record. How to find the weekly poetry and short fictions in our forum and using the Gutenberg collections of short pieces for those where they want to pick their own items. Is this needed, do you think? I am ambivalent. (but the way I comb my hair it doesn't show)
:D
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Here is a video still wet from editor: The LibriVox Recording Process: Is It Magic??

Aimed at helping new people understand the general work flow to produce our wonderful recordings: from Book Suggestions to Cataloging. (Special mention is made of those strange and mythical creatures MCs.)
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

So MC is meta coordinator??? I thought it was Magical Creature :( And I've actually met one and talked to another on Skype :wink:

Besides the fact that I don't drink alcohol myself, I very much liked it!

I have not forgotten about the translations, my plan for tonight is actually to start writing it down. Things should quiet down in a month or so, then I'll be back :evil:
Nadine

Les enfants du capitaine Grant

Live in a death + 70 country? Have a look at Legamus
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Hello to everyone in LibriVox Land, wherever that may be in this wondrus world.

The video " MP3Gain - Finding the Volume of your MP3 Files" has now been captioned.

I am working on a video called tentatively "The Many Ways YOU Can Help LibriVox" aimed at new people who want to help but don't want to read. At least not at first. And it might encourage them to stick around and contgribute. who knows?

So far I've touched on 1) proof listening, 2) making CD covers and thumbnails, 3) converting to MP4, 4) being a Book Coordinator, and 5) doing torrents. The trouble is I don't know much about the last 4 things and am not sure where to point people who would be interested in them. Do you think I should just mention them and mention the WIKI? unfortunately our wiki search is not too good, at least not for me. (TRy doing a search for CD cover or torrents. )

Lastly, are there other things I should mention (or avoid) as ways to volunteer?

neckertb

Post by neckertb »

Phil, for points 2 and 3 you can point to the first posts of the threads. They explain everything.

Psst... it's M4B not MP4 :wink:
Nadine

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

neckertb wrote:Phil, for points 2 and 3 you can point to the first posts of the threads. They explain everything.

Psst... it's M4B not MP4 :wink:
oh .... M4B ..... not MP4 ... uh ...... gee
I got that from our Wiki .. it said you can volunteer to turn finished projects into MP4s for iPads. Is that different?

I will find the first posts of the threads involved. Sad to say I never thought of that.
:roll: ASTOUNDING! I found a Forum called Volunteers Wanted: Other Projects. Who would have thought of that!
ok, I am just a tad embarrassed ... but not to much. onwards and upwards.
Last edited by philchenevert on June 26th, 2011, 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

That has to be a typo in the wiki then... Can you correct it or can you post the link here please?
Nadine

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

neckertb wrote:That has to be a typo in the wiki then... Can you correct it or can you post the link here please?
I will find it and correct it. Thanks for setting me straight.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

neckertb wrote:That has to be a typo in the wiki then... Can you correct it or can you post the link here please?
It was not from the Wiki, but from our FAQ viewtopic.php?f=18&t=877 and I can't correct it because Hugh posted it in 2005. Who knows, he may have been right at that time :?
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

philchenevert wrote:
It was not from the Wiki, but from our FAQ viewtopic.php?f=18&t=877 and I can't correct it because Hugh posted it in 2005.
I can. :twisted:

It had been amended by someone in 2010. It is now correct.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

RuthieG wrote:
philchenevert wrote:
It was not from the Wiki, but from our FAQ viewtopic.php?f=18&t=877 and I can't correct it because Hugh posted it in 2005.
I can. :twisted:
It had been amended by someone in 2010. It is now correct.
Ruth
Cool. I will use the first posts as graphics for Making M4Bs and cover art.

BTW .... LOVE your sig. :roll:
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Hi all you video affectionatos (spelling optional). It's been awhile, work has been progressing. I've updated two videos, captioned another and have been working on 5 new ones. Busy, busy, busy. The excitement just grows.

The Welcome to Librivox video is on hold due to concerns about content. I am not really sure whether people looking to download books should be covered and what to say to them.

The How You Can Help Librivox (types of volunteer projects) is on hold while the CD covers and M4B get back on track. apparently they cannot do their work right now and I don't want to mislead eager new people.

Next up in the production queue is the "Proof Listening: We Need Your Ears! A Basic Guide" which will focus entirely on the standard proof listening. This will be followed with "Proof Listening: A More Advanced Guide" which will deal with checking ID Tags and all those technical things that make the MC's life easier. That is how I am dealing with the problem of encouraging volunteers to do standard proof listening and yet explain how to check those many little technical thingies that can be checked.

ta ta. !