VIDEO TUTORIALS FOR LIBRIVOX

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Agreed wholeheartedly that prevention is better than cure, but occasional plosives can also be reduced using a High Pass Filter. View | Fit Vertically and zoom right in. Ensure that you select the plosive very carefully with zero crossings at the right places, and use Effect | High Pass Filter: rolloff 12 or more dB Cutoff frequency: 100 Hz.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Just a notice that I have made a new video SAVING AND UPLOADING A FILE TO LIBRIVOX that uses the new uploader. Nothing like being right up to date, eh? :roll: As always, I am open to correcting any mistakes you may findl.

Saving and Uploading A File to LibriVox
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
joyfulmn

Post by joyfulmn »

I found a mistake - the l at the end of the word find. :D :D Sorry, I just couldn't help myself. :oops:
" As always, I am open to correcting any mistakes you may findl. "

This was a test, right? :lol:
But thank you for all your fine videos. :clap:
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

joyfulmn wrote:I found a mistake - the l at the end of the word find. :D :D Sorry, I just couldn't help myself. :oops:
" As always, I am open to correcting any mistakes you may findl. "

This was a test, right? :lol:
But thank you for all your fine videos. :clap:
Yes Joyful, it was a test and YOU passed! YAAA Image
You have won YOUR CHOICE of any three public domain books to record!!!! Thanks for the nice feedback about my videos.

I will even throw in the famous dancing pickle Image
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

And here is the 2014 edition of HOW I EDIT FOR LIBRIVOX using Audacity of coruse. This is the third video documenting the wonderful stuff I learn each year to improve my recording and editing. The main purpose of these videos is to STIMULATE IDEA SHARING BY EVERYONE.

HOW I EDIT: 2014 EDITION

Image My dancing pickle approves. Except that the picture kind of covers the screen; I promise to do better next time. Any comments or suggestions are welcome because that is how I learn from you other great people!!!
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

OK people. A video on using ReplayGain in Audacity to move your volume to 89 dB.

ReplayGain Getting your Volume to 89 dB the easy way https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz4GF3HEXV4

It is easy, quick and oh, so convenient. Image
carteki

Post by carteki »

Phil, can you explain the difference between the leveller and compressor functions and which one we should be using?
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

carteki wrote:Phil, can you explain the difference between the leveller and compressor functions and which one we should be using?
Sure. The compressor removes the 'peaks' or highest parts of a recording. The default "RMS" method makes the louder parts softer, but leaves the quieter audio alone. (Don't use the the alternative "peaks" method. Just don't. It has something do with toxic waste and global warming I think) And the 'make-up gain' button makes the result as loud as possible without clipping. Something else to avoid; it was designed for radio music I think, not recorded voice. I use the compressor effect frequently to just drop the spikes in my recordings.

The Leveler reduces the difference between loud and soft, making the softer parts louder and the louder parts softer. It is best suited to speech recordings but I recommend trying it at the lowest level to try. I also admit to using this but very carefully and checking a lot. (I also admit to eating gumbo in bed and Sweatin' To the Oldies with Richard Simmons)

So the compressor only works on the loud or spikes and bring 'em down leaving the softer parts completely unaffected. The leveller tries to bring down the peaks and bring up the soft parts. Image
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

carteki wrote:Phil, can you explain the difference between the leveller and compressor functions and which one we should be using?
May I jump in? :)

Leveler brings quiet parts up and loud parts down. Compressor just brings loud parts down, and then you can amplify as needed.

I prefer the compressor because I can control how much it shrinks loud parts - I can make it only do a little or do a whole lot. Leveler you have to trust the effect - it only has a couple options - but this lack of options makes it more straightforward for those whose eyes glaze over with too many options. ;)

EDIT: I didn't know Phil was around, and his post wasn't there when I started responding. ;)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
carteki

Post by carteki »

Thank you both!
Kim
bubbaspeare

Post by bubbaspeare »

Got to say, these video tutorials are extremely helpful to us newbies. I should have spent a few days viewing them before pulling out the microphone.

The greatest surprise has been that, "There are many kinds of silence..." (cue A Man for all Seasons). I thought all silence was the same, but apparently not. Using the 'z' key to find perfect cutting/pasting points has also helped. Nice!

Thanks again Phil, much appreciated

Bubba
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Thanks Bubba. I am playing around with the latest verson of Audacity and think it is time to roll out 'dem cameras and make a few videos on editing again because things have definitely changed. I also use some of the newer Effects and like them and should share my experience with the world whether it wants it or not.
Bubba, have you tried the AutoHotKey stuff yet?
bubbaspeare

Post by bubbaspeare »

AutoHotKey? Sounds like advanced and scary stuff to me. I'll do a bit of investigation. Must be a user defined macro of sorts.

Bubba
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

bubbaspeare wrote:AutoHotKey? Sounds like advanced and scary stuff to me. I'll do a bit of investigation. Must be a user defined macro of sorts.

Bubba
Yes, AutoHotKey is a macro program.
Karen S.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

bubbaspeare wrote:AutoHotKey? Sounds like advanced and scary stuff to me. I'll do a bit of investigation. Must be a user defined macro of sorts.

Bubba
Yes, it is advanced. But it is just a tool like all the others and can be learned with patience. It is something that I rely on ALL the time when editing but did not discover until years had passed for me in LibriVox. So maybe not right now, eh? :roll: