LibriVox
Forums

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently April 24th, 2014, 12:40 pm

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next

Post Posted:: May 21st, 2011, 10:38 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

This topic is an attempt to have a single place in which anyone can post stuff about Librivox tutorial videos. Up till now it's been scattered in different forums and threads and PMs and I just wanted a single place that could be subscribed to by those interested in tutorial videos.

NOTE that some videos are not here because I am lazy; go to http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Instructional_Videos for the whole kit and kaboottle of them.

VIDEOS THAT HAVE BEEN MADE AS OF JANUARY 2013
The best place I've found so far to store these for easy access is in our wiki Librivox Tutorial Videos. If anyone has a better idea of how to make them easy to get to speak up. I've put the link in my signature but can't promise to keep it there.

*Finding Those Elusive Clicks and Pops A technique I use to track down pops and bad stuff hidden inside words, ssses, and things. An obvious tool but it took me a long time to discover how to do it so I thought others might not know it.

*Using the "Checker" program to Find your Decibel Level. very simple video on exactly what the title says.

*A Quick Way of Estimating Your Volume in Audacity. How to have Audacity put the 0.5 lines across your track to judge volume easily. made July 15, 2012

*How To Make Your 1 Minute Test Recording Made June 15, 2012. How to find the test script and record. This video is not public; only those with the link can see it because of the password involved.

*Is Anyone Listening To My Recording? done June 10, 2012. Just an easy way to check on the downloads of anything you have recorded.

*Audacity: Fixing Your DC Offset

*Audacity: Basic Editing 101
Just the basic stuff about fixing a recording before uploading.

*Welcome to LibriVox: Getting to Know Our Forums New to Librivox? Confused about our forums? watch this and learn lots of good stuff and a few pieces of mediocre stuff. Hey, they can't all be gems.!

*AUDACITY: An Overview for the Completely Bewildered -- New to Audacity? Wonder what all those buttons and funny thingies are? This video will get you recording in just a few minutes and explain which buttons are most useful and which to avoid.

*AUDACITY: The Compressor Effect Explained. Spikes-Be-Gone. Reduce or remove those annoying spikes from your track without bothering the low parts. Next to Noise Reduction, one of the most amazingly useful effects

*Welcome to LibriVox: Installing Audacity

*AUDACITY NOISE REMOVAL: What Do Those Slider Thingies Do?

*Setting LibriVox Specifications in Audacity

*Changing Your Bit rate

*Amplifying a File with Audacity; Making that sucker louder (or softer if you want)

*Cutting out mistakes and replacing words in Audacity] CAPTIONED !
*Noise Removal in Audacity: Take out those hums and whistles (not meant for clicks and pops)

*Converting a Stereo track to Mono; easy peasy

*How to upload your 1 minute test: revised Sept 2013 with new upload link

* Put a Clickable Link in Your LibriVox Signature(i'm proud of this one)

*MP3Gain - Finding the Volume of your MP3 recordings: a neat free program

*Keeping Track of Your LibriVox Commitments

*Oh Dear! I deleted my recording! where is it?

*Saving and Uploading a recording to LibriVox; where to go and what to do to get it to us

*How to tell your volume level in Audacity: Been told you are too quiet or too loud? watch this for some easy ways to get a good volume

*Some Cool Things in our LibriVox Forum

*Linking to Google Docs in the Magic Window made May 24, 2011

*Proof Listening 101: What we check and what we don't check
*Proof Listening 102: How to find things to listen to, and how to report your results
*Proof Listening 103: Going the Extra Kilometer; checking the specifications & stuff

*What Should I Read First now that my 1 minute test has been approved! Made October 2011

*Audacity: An Overview for the Completely Bewildered - what those buttons and thingies do, a short video

*AUDACITY: Use the "C" key Before you Cut.

*AUDACITY: Use the "Z" Key to Smooth Out your Edits.

VIDEOS THAT HAVE BEEN SUGGESTED AND ARE IN THE PLANNING STAGE: Let me know your feelings about these and of course make suggestions for new ones:

*Where Do I Find Something To Read, Now That I'm Aproved? guidance to various places including Gutenberg
*Finding Your Way Around Project Gutenberg - looking for something secefic or just browsing, there is a ton of stuff on Gutenberg. Here are ways to find it.
*Welcome to LibriVox ! (for everyone)
*Welcome to LbiriVox ! So you Want to help read books. (for potential readers)

*1 minute test: how to record and save it using Audacity. (the companion video, uploading it, has already been made)
*1 minute test: What happens once I've posted it? Do I need to wait to be approved?
*Normalization, Compression & Leveling: What they can do for/to your recording
*Best practices & Tips for recording: a compilation
*Best practices & Tips for editing: a compilation
*Microphones & Headphones: two things you gotta have
*Pump it UP!: a step by step elimination of the many things that may be causing low volume in recordings.
*Using the Audacity Input Meters to assure proper volume (Mac can use this)
*Making Your edits smooooooth as a baby's behind: using the z and c in Audacity
*Audacity: Keyboard shortcuts and how to change them to make life more fun

*Book Coordinator: a basic introduction
*How to make a tutorial using Camstudio :D
*Newbie Guide To Recording (from the Wiki information)
(removed no apparent need for this video: Audacity Selecting your language)
(removed; no apparent need for this video: How To Register for the Librivox Forum)

Well, that's it for now. My highest priority is remaking some of the older ones so they are smoother. The next new one should be Google Docs. I have heard we have 20 to 30 people registering every week and my impression is that half or less actually make it to the 1 minute test and beyond. I might be wrong. It is very time consuming for our administrators to shepherd so many people through the somewhat steep learning curve involved when most won't read the wiki or simple instructions. My hope is that videos will help more of them to figure it out by themselves and free up the administrators to do what they should be doing: taking care of MY projects

Oh, and I have a cam now! cool :D

Need Help? Lots of Helpful Videos Here

Last edited by philchenevert on December 27th, 2011, 11:32 am, edited 39 times in total.

Post Posted:: May 23rd, 2011, 2:42 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

Phil, I was thinking: at some point it would be nice to put links to each video here, maybe?

Phil and I have also been discussing how easy it would be to make these videos available in other languages. apparently, we only need someone to record the text in another language, and the same video track could be used.
I can start with the French at some point, maybe other people would like to do German? Portuguese? Spanish? Italian?

Les 1001 nuits
Germinal (French)

Live in a death + 70 country? Have a look at Legamus

Post Posted:: May 23rd, 2011, 2:52 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

Hey Phil, great job with your videos! It's nice to have them all in one place - and putting in a link would be great!

neckertb wrote:
Phil and I have also been discussing how easy it would be to make these videos available in other languages. apparently, we only need someone to record the text in another language, and the same video track could be used.
I can start with the French at some point, maybe other people would like to do German? Portuguese? Spanish? Italian?

I'm in principle willing to do it for German (if I only need to translate what Phil is saying and not be more creative...). Note however, that for example Audacity comes in several language versions. No point in explaining in German how to export a file if the video uses the English version of it... :wink:

AvailleAudio.com

Post Posted:: May 23rd, 2011, 3:02 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

I don't know about the German version of Audacity, but the French one has plenty of stuff untranslated and still in English. Which is why I use English only (less confusing than Frenglish)
I'd say it's better than nothing to do a first go like this. All the newbie needs to do is change the language in preferences, then the options come in the same order, right?
Oh, wait, how about a video to explain how to change the language in Audacity? :wink:

Les 1001 nuits
Germinal (French)

Live in a death + 70 country? Have a look at Legamus

Post Posted:: May 23rd, 2011, 3:19 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

Thanks for the feedback. I am really excited about the potential of making Librivox more accessible to more people. Recording is fun but this is exciting.

1. I will put the links next to the videos so they can be quickly copied (why didn't I think of that? duh.)

2. Language. I (or anyone for that matter, they are PD naturally) can take an audio file and pop it into the video fairly easily, replacing my narration with a nice Italian or Spanish or French version. To make such a recording, just bring up Audacity or your favorite program, run the video and translate as it runs. Leaving out the clicks, stumbles and irrelevant stuff of course, adding comments and jokes as you feel the urge and explaining things I left out. why not have fun? :D Being a beat behind what is happening on the screen will probably be a good addition.

The shortest video is "Stereo to Mono", so why not make a quick file and send it to me? There is definitely a need to encourage multi languages on Librivox and this may help.
This may not be the best solution but we have to start somewhere, eh?

3. Audacity language version. Yes, some tings are in different order in different languages. :hmm: I can definitely make a video about changing languages but as for tutorial videos, that may require some thought as to the best 'generic' way of doing it.
any ideas?

:D

Post Posted:: May 23rd, 2011, 3:29 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

Phil to make your first post neater, use the bbc code (I think that's what it is called)

Code:
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqmCOxOs_pM]Setting LibriVox technical specs in Audacity[/url]

Will give you this:
Setting LibriVox technical specs in Audacity

I know you know how to do it and it just looks nicer. (Not to make more work for you or anything. ;))

Esther :)

Post Posted:: May 23rd, 2011, 3:41 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

Starlite wrote:
Phil to make your first post neater, use the bbc code (I think that's what it is called)
Code:
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqmCOxOs_pM]Setting LibriVox technical specs in Audacity[/url]

Will give you this:
Setting LibriVox technical specs in Audacity
I know you know how to do it and it just looks nicer. (Not to make more work for you or anything. ;))
Esther :)

HA! thanks Esther. You are absolutely correct. If you will watch my new video that I'm so proud of "Put A Web Link in Your Signature" I even explain how to do this, (although I use the technical term "prettier" instead of neater). And then forgot to do it in my own post! :oops: duh. :?

Post Posted:: May 23rd, 2011, 3:54 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

philchenevert wrote:
If you will watch my new video that I'm so proud of "Put A Web Link in Your Signature" I even explain how to do this, (although I use the technical term "prettier" instead of neater).

Looks good phil!

Esther :clap:

Post Posted:: May 23rd, 2011, 6:59 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

This is great, Phil! :thumbs:

Post Posted:: May 24th, 2011, 11:39 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

Only one thing that bothers me ever so slightly - we don't allow commercial links in signatures as these are perceived as spam. I think you said something like "add whatever you like" somewhere. See wiki

Ruth

My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding

Post Posted:: May 24th, 2011, 12:46 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

RuthieG wrote:
Only one thing that bothers me ever so slightly - we don't allow commercial links in signatures as these are perceived as spam. I think you said something like "add whatever you like" somewhere. See wiki

Ruth

Ruth. Could you clarify that a bit? I certainly don't want to contribute to spam in any way but I'm not really sure what external links you mean. All of the videos so far have been uploaded You Tube so the links do lead there. Is that it? Anyway, let me know so we can nip any potential problem in the bud.

Post Posted:: May 24th, 2011, 12:59 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

I don't think she's referring to your signature, but rather to the fact that you're telling users they can put whatever they like in their signature, and in the past, spammers have used signatures as a way to insert weird links in the forum. LV related sigs (catalog page, projects in process, wiki links, etc), personal blogs/pages are ok, but commercial pages are treated with suspicion because of previous experience.

Post Posted:: May 24th, 2011, 1:39 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

Oh. Well that's certainly fixable. I will put it on the 'needs fixin' list.

I can slap a note directly onto any of my videos on youtube. Any suggestions as to wording.

"Please no links in your signature to commercial enterprises; Librivox aims at being a spam free zone. Your peronal pages and blogs of course are welcome" ?

???

Post Posted:: May 24th, 2011, 1:47 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

Sounds about right. :)

Post Posted:: May 24th, 2011, 2:53 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

Karen wrote:
I don't think she's referring to your signature, but rather to the fact that you're telling users they can put whatever they like in their signature, and in the past, spammers have used signatures as a way to insert weird links in the forum.

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. I wasn't very clear, was I? :oops:

My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 271 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next