an idea that could help blind volunteers produce recordings.

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Yakumo

Post by Yakumo » July 22nd, 2006, 5:06 am

in theory this idea should work. It occured to me because of what I was talking about in my last post.

Perhaps I should conduct my own tests and give some results first? I can't resist blabering for a bit so bare with me.

Using a good text to speech engine, one could in theory have it read out the text that you are going to read into your mic, in your own voice. With the right text to speech software, you could set the proper delays between paragraphs and sentences so as not to overwhelm you when you repeat the words in your own voice. You could even set the delay just right so as to give yourself enough time to consider how you would like to express the words in your own tones.

This aproach if done right, would produce a convincing recording with practically no errors in it. A blind person could do it.

comments?

hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh » July 22nd, 2006, 8:24 am

that sounds like a big project!!

Yakumo

Post by Yakumo » July 22nd, 2006, 11:34 am

I will exeriment with this when I do my next chapter.

Yakumo

Post by Yakumo » July 22nd, 2006, 4:00 pm

making do with what I have at the moment, I have just done an experimental sesion with my ipod. I listened to a sentence, paused it, then simply repeated what I heard.

These recording were not text to speech, but it should be similar. I found that what was comming out of my mouth had my uneque expression and that I was not merley emulating the tone of the read.er. The errors over a few minutes, were far fewer than I would have made were I reading the text from paper.

Alternativly a program could be used that presents a sentence of text at a time which the reader would repeat in their mic.

Yakumo

Post by Yakumo » July 22nd, 2006, 4:44 pm

on the negative side, this method did deaden my mind to what I was hearing. there is no art or skill in it really, but I am willing to experiment to see what results I get. Many sighted readers may not prefer this method

Has this been discussed before?