Wiki information for the visually impaired volunteer

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

JordanN wrote: November 15th, 2020, 1:40 pm Is there any interest in making a list of volunteer editors available to edit recordings made by disabled contributors and provide technical feedback to them to help them to improve their quality?

If so, I may be able to give some time to help.
Someone could make such a list, but it would probably grow outdated and need to be updated on a regular basis (as volunteers come and go here quite frequently).

When someone (for whatever reason: disability or otherwise) wants an editor for their files, we'll have them post an ad over in Listeners & Editors Wanted. It doesn't happen very often; in fact, I'd put it in the "rare" category. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
Porkkodi

Post by Porkkodi »

Hi,
I am really excited after seeing this post, as I am visually impaired. I've wanted to volunteer for Librivox for so long now. Although, I find that I may be unable to read, seeing that I don't have a braille display or a braille book. But out-loud reading is something I really, really love to do.
I am new here, but I'd love to help you. Can you be more specific? What exactly are yu looking to create? I'd love to be of use if I can, that's why.
I really applaude your efforts. Keep going!
MariaLa

Post by MariaLa »

Hi Bart!

I'm new here, I just posted my 1-minute test. :)
I'm visually impaired and going thought all the info in forums and so on I've found that it's very hard for me to pick a project in the magic windows since they are in veeeery subdued tones of color.

I hope my comment is appropriate and helpful in someway. ;)

Thank you!
Maria
stepheather

Post by stepheather »

MariaLa wrote: March 7th, 2023, 10:08 am Hi Bart!

I'm visually impaired and going thought all the info in forums and so on I've found that it's very hard for me to pick a project in the magic windows since they are in veeeery subdued tones of color.

Thank you!
Maria
Hi, Maria,

Ah, yes--the different colors denoting a section's status ARE very subtle. If you're just trying to see which sections are available, are you able to see or otherwise read the far right column? If a section hasn't been assigned yet, it will read "open." There's always a chance that someone might have claimed the section in the string of comments, but most of the book coordinators are very quick to get the sections assigned once someone has volunteered.

Is that helpful at all? Or were you suggesting an option to include more color contrast in the Magic Window? (I'm not sure whether that's possible, but I realized that you may have been asking for that.)

Thanks,
Stephanie
--Stephanie

Current solo:
Life among the Piutes

Native American history--Come read about removal plans, education, and laws:
Annual Report of the Commissioner of Indian Affairs, December 1837
MariaLa

Post by MariaLa »

stepheather wrote: March 7th, 2023, 10:34 am

Thank you!
Maria
Hi, Maria,

Ah, yes--the different colors denoting a section's status ARE very subtle. If you're just trying to see which sections are available, are you able to see or otherwise read the far right column? If a section hasn't been assigned yet, it will read "open." There's always a chance that someone might have claimed the section in the string of comments, but most of the book coordinators are very quick to get the sections assigned once someone has volunteered.

Is that helpful at all? Or were you suggesting an option to include more color contrast in the Magic Window? (I'm not sure whether that's possible, but I realized that you may have been asking for that.)

Thanks,
Stephanie

Hi Stephanie!
I see and read with no problem the far right column (I have contrast settings in my laptop). I read "Open" which I understand it's open to record, then "Assigned" means ready to PL and "Completed" is well a complete section. ;) May be instead of colors a symbol at the beginning of each section? Or an initial?

Thank you so much for your reply!
Maria :)
stepheather

Post by stepheather »

MariaLa wrote: March 7th, 2023, 11:00 am

Thank you!
Maria
Hi, Maria,

Thanks,
Stephanie

Hi Stephanie!
I see and read with no problem the far right column (I have contrast settings in my laptop). I read "Open" which I understand it's open to record, then "Assigned" means ready to PL and "Completed" is well a complete section. ;) May be instead of colors a symbol at the beginning of each section? Or an initial?

Hi, Maria,

Great! Only one thing to correct--"Assigned" means the reader is going to record it, but hasn't yet. Once it's been uploaded, the book coordinator (BC) will mark it as "Ready for PL." After the prooflistener listens, it could be marked as "See PL notes" if some edits are needed--and once the reader makes the edits, it will be marked as "Ready for Spot PL." You are correct that as soon as the prooflistener says it is "PL okay" the column will say "Complete." Hope that helps you a bit!

Thanks,
Stephanie
--Stephanie

Current solo:
Life among the Piutes

Native American history--Come read about removal plans, education, and laws:
Annual Report of the Commissioner of Indian Affairs, December 1837
MariaLa

Post by MariaLa »

stepheather wrote: March 7th, 2023, 11:16 am
MariaLa wrote: March 7th, 2023, 11:00 am

Hi, Maria,

Thanks,
Stephanie

Hi Stephanie!

Hi, Maria,

Great! Only one thing to correct--"Assigned" means the reader is going to record it, but hasn't yet. Once it's been uploaded, the book coordinator (BC) will mark it as "Ready for PL." After the prooflistener listens, it could be marked as "See PL notes" if some edits are needed--and once the reader makes the edits, it will be marked as "Ready for Spot PL." You are correct that as soon as the prooflistener says it is "PL okay" the column will say "Complete." Hope that helps you a bit!

Thanks,
Stephanie
Hi, Stephanie!

oh ok, thank you for the correction, it's still a bit confusing for me. ;)

Maria
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

If you click on the column heading, it will sort the sections by their status. All the sections labelled 'Open' (available to be claimed) will be grouped towards the bottom.
Medieval History Volume 02 The Rise of the Saracens and the Foundation of the Western Empire 99% 1 left! "The Carlovingian Revolution, and Frankish Intervention in Italy Part 3 by G. L. Burr"
DPL DPL 27 19 43
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

InTheDesert wrote: March 7th, 2023, 5:44 pm If you click on the column heading, it will sort the sections by their status. All the sections labelled 'Open' (available to be claimed) will be grouped towards the bottom.
That's only if you log into the MW, which the average reader cannot do. :)

And be careful when doing this. If you accidentally drag and drop a section, it'll renumber all your sections to this new sort! (I've done it before, to my regret.)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
GettingTooOld

Post by GettingTooOld »

First off, happy 13th birthday to the thread, whenever it was this year :birthday:

It's an old thread but I thought to add a thought or two, given that as people get older, so does their sight, so it's not really about a tiny minority.

The visually impared discussion could benefit perhaps with a link that is more specific on the FAQ page to visual problems than just added forum features. A link that takes the reader to the https://www.phpbb.com/ website, where there is a lot of not orderly information on the topic. https://www.phpbb.com/search/?q=visually+impared Where should the link goto. Also may be an idea to link to a comparison of screen reading software aids people can use for the whole web perhaps..

Fixing the issue for every website using the same forum software would be more useful than addressing just one site, whereas the magic window(MW) is just LV. So it's about making the MW better in useability &or documentation.

Sticking the idea in peoples heads to ask local governments and insurance perhaps, basically there is money avaiable to adapt the world to the needs of the disabled. Such funding, if discussions are started in the right places may result in php software getting an API (special interface to a user's special software) that makes using this and other boards smoother. The right programmer could do such work with only modest encouragement, the development team for php would know more.