Wiki information for the visually impaired volunteer

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
jeanny

Post by jeanny »

Sandra7 wrote:Something I have considered although each line appears for the same amount of time, fluency would definitely be sacrificed if I were to do that. You don't get as much noise though.
Yes, the background noise is not really a great problem, since the clicks are not an issue for the sound quality of the recording. I just mentioned them because they often occur mid-word;, it might be more difficult to edit them out if someone chose to do so...
Sandra7 wrote:In my other post, I forgot to mention that, before you start your series of key strokes for deleting, press enter to see if the sellect mode is on otherwise it won't work. Jaws will say so if it is.

All the best,
Sandra.
Thanks for the information about editing. :D
Is there a manual for audacity where key strokes are listed?
I have another question, which seems to be a bit off-topic: Does anyone know how to copy the little paper icon next to the header of each individual post to clipboard? (Edit: That one is solved.)
Last edited by jeanny on October 1st, 2010, 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

jeanny wrote:Is there a manual for audacity where key strokes are listed?
Under the "edit" menu, you can edit the preferences. At the bottom of the list is "keyboard" and "mouse" where you can edit the keystrokes. All the existing keystrokes are listed there and you can change them as per your preference.

I personally, have "m" as my delete key as I use my left hand for keyboard and right for mouse, the "m" key is close to the space bar which I use for starting and stopping the recording.

Esther :)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
Sandra7

Post by Sandra7 »

There's a fifty two page mannual for jaws users. The info is as follows:
Audacity 1.3.11 Guide
A guide for users of the Jaws screen reader, written by David Bailes, accessible through the jaws guides' page of the VIP Software Guides website

All the best,
Sandra.
jeanny

Post by jeanny »

Starlite wrote:
jeanny wrote:Is there a manual for audacity where key strokes are listed?
Under the "edit" menu, you can edit the preferences. At the bottom of the list is "keyboard" and "mouse" where you can edit the keystrokes. All the existing keystrokes are listed there and you can change them as per your preference.

I personally, have "m" as my delete key as I use my left hand for keyboard and right for mouse, the "m" key is close to the space bar which I use for starting and stopping the recording.

Esther :)
Thanks for this suggestion, Esther. :)
jeanny

Post by jeanny »

Sandra7 wrote:There's a fifty two page mannual for jaws users. The info is as follows:
Audacity 1.3.11 Guide
A guide for users of the Jaws screen reader, written by David Bailes, accessible through the jaws guides' page of the VIP Software Guides website

All the best,
Sandra.
Is there a Jaws script specially written for Audacity? In this case, the key strokes described in the guide might only work for Jaws.
Sandra7

Post by Sandra7 »

No it doesn't work like that, I've tried and tested them on several sighted people and anyone can use them.

All the best,
Sandra.
jeanny

Post by jeanny »

Sandra7 wrote:No it doesn't work like that, I've tried and tested them on several sighted people and anyone can use them.

All the best,
Sandra.
Sandra, that's really great news! Thank you very much.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

miss stav wrote:I have another problem: tecnical settings of recordings. I don't know how to discover if they are correct or not.
I do know a way - but it requires dragging the file name into a program window - is this possible with JAWS (does everyone use JAWS or are there others ? )
Anne
jeanny

Post by jeanny »

annise wrote:
miss stav wrote:I have another problem: tecnical settings of recordings. I don't know how to discover if they are correct or not.
I do know a way - but it requires dragging the file name into a program window - is this possible with JAWS (does everyone use JAWS or are there others ? )
Anne
Hi Anne,
Do you know if there's a key stroke to drag the file name into the program window; i.e. is it possible to copy-paste it? this way, this option would probably work with screen readers, as long as there is not a non-blinking cursor, which the screen readers cannot track (in this case, the program would still work with the key strokes, but you wouldn't see what you're doing).
Sometimes I use JAWS, but on my own computer I use the screen reader Cobra.
As far as I can tell, JAWS and Cobra are very similar, but vary in some specific details.
padraigo

Post by padraigo »

Hi all,

Some time ago, in response to a post by Hugh, I created a mock-up of a Librivox catalog page which incorporated some layout changes the Librivox admins were interested in making. While I was doing that I put some thought into making the page more accessible. The resulting mockup scored quite well with the web page accessibility checkers I tried, but I didn't have a screen reader like Jaws to try to see if it actually is easier to use for visually impaired Librivoxers.

The mockup is available at http://padraig-o.users.sourceforge.net/librivox/mockups/my-fathers-dragon9.htm. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who uses a screen reader if the accessibility features added do help usability with a screen reader.

The mockup adds support for access keys. Rather than have to navigate the entire document (which I imagine can be slow with a screen reader) you can use an access key to trigger the key functionality on the page, e.g. the one click download options.

For example if you use Firefox you trigger access keys by holding down Shift and Alt and pressing the letter or number corresponding to the option you want.

So if you want to download the ZIP of the book just hold down both Alt and Shift and type Z (don't let go of either Alt or Shift until you have typed the Z).

You can subscribe to the podcast in the same way, get help, search the catalog etc.

To see the list of access keys available use
Alt Shift 0

That's a zero above, and it's part of an accessibility standard called e-GIF which is quite widely used. The page that pops up will list all the access keys available and what they do.

The page returns no issues in both accessibility checkers I've tried.

I also improved the link titles etc. used. These are really there for screen readers to use, but if you hover over e.g. the Wikipedia links in Firefox then Firefox will display them to you in a tooltip.

The above effort to rework the catalog pages has been overtaken by the general site redesign which I believe is being worked on, but hopefully if these techniques do make life easier for visually impaired Librivoxers they could presumably be applied as appropriate to the new site design as it is implemented.

Thanks,

Padraig
jeanny

Post by jeanny »

Hi Padraig,
Thank you very much for this great idea! :d
All links are accessible and the access keys work very well. They help a lot to navigate the page.
padraigo

Post by padraigo »

jeanny wrote:Hi Padraig,
Thank you very much for this great idea! :d
All links are accessible and the access keys work very well. They help a lot to navigate the page.
Hi Jeanny,

Thanks a lot for checking that for me. if anyone wants some help in applying these accessibility techniques to the Librivox site redesign just let me know. Librivox is a great resource for anyone who might find it difficult to read print books because of a visual impairment - it would be nice to think we were doing a good job of making Librivox as easy to use as possible for all of our community.

All the best,

Padraig
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

On my travels, I just found what appears to be an extremely useful guide to LibriVox for listeners who use JAWS:

http://vip.chowo.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/jaws/LibriVox-Guide.html

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

That's great Ruth!
LibriVox was started in August 2005, and their completely crazy aim is to record all the books in the public domain.
:clap:

Edit to add:

There is a guide for Audacity too: http://vip.chowo.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/jaws/Audacity-1.3.13-Guide.html
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
JordanN

Post by JordanN »

Is there any interest in making a list of volunteer editors available to edit recordings made by disabled contributors and provide technical feedback to them to help them to improve their quality?

If so, I may be able to give some time to help.