Adding Silence to the End of a Recording

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
MariaSC

Post by MariaSC » May 19th, 2006, 9:55 pm

RealPlayer is known to cut off ends of MP3 audio in playback. This is why LibriVox has readers add 3 seconds of silence when finished reading. I've found that longer files need longer silence at the end when playing in RealPlayer. I think anything less than 15 minutes should have 3 seconds to make sure nothing is cut off. Files that are between 15 and 30 minutes should have 5 seconds of silence. There is a linear relationship between the length of the file and the amount that is cut off and required silence.
After 30 minutes, for every 15 minutes more, you have to add 2 more seconds of silence to hear the same ending.

Here is a table with examples (Please let me know if you can't read it clearly as it appears in this format).):

File Time Time
Length Cut Added
30 minutes - 2 seconds - 5 seconds
45 minutes - 5 seconds - 7 seconds
60 minutes - 7 seconds - 9 seconds
75 minutes - 9 seconds - 11 seconds

thistlechick

Post by thistlechick » May 19th, 2006, 10:26 pm

Maria, thank you so much for figuring this out!

I've also noticed that my iRiver T10 cuts the end of files, but I can't say whether the length ratio is the same as with RealPlayer, but I'm sure that this information will be helpful to BCs when they are estimating the amount of silence needed at the end of file.

Great job Maria! =)
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!

MariaSC

Post by MariaSC » May 20th, 2006, 7:16 am

Thanks! I'm glad my little experiment can help! It was Peter Why who suggested I post this here...

kri

Post by kri » May 20th, 2006, 2:12 pm

MariaSC wrote:Thanks! I'm glad my little experiment can help! It was Peter Why who suggested I post this here...
I wish we could just erradicate Real Player. I'm sorry to those that use it, but it's an overall pain.

kayray
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kayray » May 20th, 2006, 3:07 pm

kri wrote:
MariaSC wrote:Thanks! I'm glad my little experiment can help! It was Peter Why who suggested I post this here...
I wish we could just erradicate Real Player. I'm sorry to those that use it, but it's an overall pain.
While we're eradicating things, how about Internet Exploder as well? ;-)

Thanks Maria! Very useful info.
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)

Gesine

Post by Gesine » May 21st, 2006, 5:54 am

Thank you, Maria!

This info should go in the LibriVox wiki, but I haven't found a good spot for it. Someone else?

I suggest that we update the BC template and the solo readers' FAQ. To keep it simple, perhaps we should say:
Please leave 5 seconds of silence at the end of your recording. If your file exceeds 30 minutes of playing time, please add 10 seconds of silence.
Unless anyone disagrees, I'll take care of this in the next couple of days.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein

MariaSC

Post by MariaSC » May 21st, 2006, 7:52 am

Gesine,

Yes...Simplicity is good!
Since we don't usually do recordings longer than 60 minutes (which needed 9 seconds of silence), that should cover it. I only tested a file as long as 75 minutes (which needed 11 seconds of silence): 10 seconds SHOULD be fine for recordings slightly over 60 minutes. That's more than enough.

Maria

Starlite

Post by Starlite » January 15th, 2007, 2:32 pm

I'm digging this thread out from the pile and dusting it off because I have seen talk of people adding silence to the BEGINNING of thier recordings as well as the end. I don't believe realplayer actualy cuts off the begginning. It is my preference not to have too much dead air when listening to a recording and just wanted to clarify this.
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw

MariaSC

Post by MariaSC » January 15th, 2007, 6:46 pm

Starlite wrote:I'm digging this thread out from the pile and dusting it off because I have seen talk of people adding silence to the BEGINNING of thier recordings as well as the end. I don't believe realplayer actualy cuts off the begginning. It is my preference not to have too much dead air when listening to a recording and just wanted to clarify this.
I agree. RealPlayer does not cut the beginning of a file: only the end of the longer files (over 15"). I wouldn't use it if it did! :)

Maria

kayray
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kayray » January 15th, 2007, 6:52 pm

Starlite -- wherever that was mentioned, please kill the idea! We absolutely do NOT need silence added to the beginning of the files :)
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)

Starlite

Post by Starlite » January 15th, 2007, 7:23 pm

Phew thanks for the second vote. I thought I might have missed something.
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw

Silver
Location: Sweden, in the snow, banging my headset against the wall.

Post by Silver » January 16th, 2007, 2:41 am

Oh, thank you for that - I was under the impression one should add 5 seconds of silence at the beginning of a recording. I must have read it somewhere on the site, but can't remember where. Will stop it immediately ;)
[color=indigo]~*~everything around her is a silver pool of light~*~[/color]

[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=690]Silver's Projects[/url]

Stephan

Post by Stephan » January 16th, 2007, 4:57 am

I don't agree that we should add even more silence at the end of recordings just because one bad mp3player can't play mp3s right.
3 seconds is way enough if you ask me to seperate one recording from the other.
[url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/PromotionalMaterial][color=indigo]Want to promote LV? Print the poster and pin it at your library[/color][/url] | [url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/Stephan_Moebius][color=indigo]My wiki page[/color][/url]

trioptimum

Post by trioptimum » January 16th, 2007, 6:22 am

I agree, we shouldn't give special treatment to specific software -- which can easily be replaced with something else -- at the expense of all others. A popular mp3 playing device might be a different matter, but RealPlayer can just be switched with iTunes, or WinAmp, or Windows Media Player, or VLC if its performance is unsatisfactory, and without cost... and if this problem really exists then surely most listeners of audiobooks will have already made the change.

To be (probably too) blunt: If someone's using software they know is broken then I don't see how that's our problem. If they don't know it's broken then we should let them know of the issues with it and point them to the range of alternatives.

I'm not suggesting we should be software advocates, I actually think it's very important that we remain neutral. But being platform-agnostic doesn't mean we can't say something doesn't work as it should do (if that's verifiably true). If RealPlayer isn't suitable for listening to LibriVox recordings then it's down to us (and nobody else) to inform people. I don't think it's down to us to accommodate it.

For the overwhelming majority of listeners who do not use RealPlayer, more than a few seconds of terminating silence is unbeneficial, and may be annoying. 10 seconds for recordings of 30min+, as given in the templates, seems very excessive to me.
Equipment: AT2020 mic, Audition CC on Mac, and peppermint tea :)

My Catalogue Page
My Tumblr

hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh » January 16th, 2007, 8:13 am

how about 5? ;)