Listing of LibriVox Readers and all their Work

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Huskey

Post by Huskey »

Is there a LibriVox site where each LibriVox reader and all their work is listed?
Last edited by Huskey on May 16th, 2006, 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Von einem gewissen Punkt an gibt es keine Rückkehr mehr. Dieser Punkt ist zu erreichen.
[b]Beyond a certain point there is no return. This point has to be reached.[/b]
- Franz Kafka -
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

I think that's a great idea. I know I've gone searching through the threads to find a particular reader, or hearing one thing, I wanted to hear another by the same reader, or studying an accent I wanted to hear more by So-and-so... all that sort of thing.

Such a listing may be a cinch (what are the odds?) but is likely Xtreemly too difficult unless worked into the infrastructure coding somehow.

But...possibly more feasible, dunno, is it possible for every book while in progress to be stored in its chapters? Er, I speak English, honestly. Um, the yousendit links expire so soon. While the books are being recorded, some folks are able to offer up links to all chapters completed so far, others aren't. When I read for a book I love to hear a bit of what others have done and frequently these are missing.

Oh, idea: wiki page? Folks enter their own works there? Friends of the wiki-phobic can enter for those readers?
Oh hey. Maybe such a page already exists?

a.r.dobbs (is my middle name really ramble?)
raynr

Post by raynr »

There is a site in the wiki with all the volunteers, but without their works. Updating such a list would be a tedious work (but if anyone volunteers...). On the other hand it is unnecessary, because we are building a searchable database. It probably will take some time, but once installed you could simply search for a name and get all the works of the reader.

Your second topic about the files is mainly a decision of the reader for solo projects or BC for collaborative projects or their MC. We know that yousendit is not the optimal tool, but we are trying to solve this, too. We have our own upload system now, but we are still testing, therefore it's not introduced for all projects yet. You can see it for a some projects here:
www.librivox.prolegomena.org

Greetings,
Rainer
"Everything in the world exists in order to end in a book." (Stéphane Mallarmé)
kayray

Post by kayray »

I agree, it would be wonderful to be able to search by reader! But yes, a LOT of work at this point. Someday we'll have that searchable database...

Everyone could make a personal page in the wiki, and link to their files like this:

http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/KaraShallenberg

but not everyone has that kind of ambition :)
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Thats neat Kara!! I wish all libri-readers would do that. That way, if I like a style of reading, I can see what other works that reader has done. Thanks :D
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
kri

Post by kri »

Yeah, it's pretty much up to the individual volunteer at this point to keep and advertise a list of all their recordings. I keep mine in a list if you care to see..

http://www.greenkri.com/?page_id=629
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Thanks Kri :D
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

Ok... I've broken down and made a list of my recordings that are completed and in the catalog. Here: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/BetsieBush

perhaps I'll work on a list of those that are waiting for cataloging too... later though
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Just a thought--- So its easy to find your lists, would it be possible to put a link to your works in your profile? I see some of you have done that and it makes it easier for us to find. :)
kayray

Post by kayray »

Heehee! I tried --- but there's a limit to how many characters you can use in a sig and I've used them all up already :) But I really would like to do this so maybe I'll shorten my sig :)
Kara
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
Aldark

Post by Aldark »

While I certainly understand what you're looking for, I'm not sure we (aka LibriVox) should try something new and dynamic since so much has been put into the database effort. IMO

Now users posting in wiki what they've done is certainly a viable option.
kayray

Post by kayray »

Yes yes sorry, perhaps no one made it clear that we have a catalog database in progress at this very moment! (I hope) and that when it is done, one should be able to search by reader :)
Kara
--------
Alys

Post by Alys »

I got to thinking about this, and it made me wonder: does anyone keep statistics on solo versus collaborative reads? I know that Stephen at one point ran a "contest" on BitTorrents, with the conclusion that of two identical books, being downloaded blind (or should that be deaf? :) ) the group read is slightly more likely to be downloaded. But I'm curious about our readers. Are people more likely to do solo projects or collaborative? We mostly start out on collaborative, but is there a tendency to then move towards solo works, or do most people stick with group projects? Are soloists likely to be soloists from the beginning? Are people more likely to stay one or the other (doing mostly/all solo or mostly/all group) or to spend about equal amounts of time doing both?

I think when the database comes out it'll be easier for me to run through all the details and figure that out. In the meantime, if anyone knows, feel free to share.

(And just in case you're thinking this is WAY off topic, I started to wonder about it when I was thinking about the reasons someone would look for a particular reader's collected works. If I fall in love with Reader X's voice and make the effort to find out what else s/he has read, I'll probably listen to their solo stuff simply because s/he read them whether I'd be interested in that project for its own merits or not, but I'm unlikely to listen to random chapters by that reader from collaborative works, or to listen to several hours of a work I would not otherwise be interested in just for the 20 minute segment that Reader X did. And if I was already interested in it anyway, it probably doesn't matter whether that reader worked on the project or not. And thus I was lead to wonder about the breakdown of solo versus group.)
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

ok Alys I actually UNDERSTOOD what you just said! My opinion is that I WOULD listen to a collaborative work If I was familiar with just one of the voices. (it would expand my listening tastes possibly) As in - I might not have chosen that particular book to listen too unless a particular voice was participating. (and actualy enjoy somthing that I may not have ever read EVER!)
Huskey

Post by Huskey »

Second thought. Isn't it possible to link the "catalogue" with a database called "readers' work" meaning, specific data will automatically be integrated in the readers' work database after a project is listed in the catalogue (database)?
Von einem gewissen Punkt an gibt es keine Rückkehr mehr. Dieser Punkt ist zu erreichen.
[b]Beyond a certain point there is no return. This point has to be reached.[/b]
- Franz Kafka -