call 4 remote collaborators UlyssesCh15cPlayfulExperiment

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Gesine, i need your ok to upload one gig to your server.
That's best, because...
for every file there is, there would be a noisecleaned version (..._NC.wav) right next to it. Editors would see them and use them.
[url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/PromotionalMaterial][color=indigo]Want to promote LV? Print the poster and pin it at your library[/color][/url] | [url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/Stephan_Moebius][color=indigo]My wiki page[/color][/url]
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

quotes by Gesine
answers by anita
-----------------------

I'm meddling with the readers' list right now and making some executive decisions... just try and stop me! (drat, it's a wiki - they can be *reversed*)
laa-de-da :) did I not predict she's unstoppable (I did)
-----------------------

So I've assigned 76 - The Voices of all the Damned to ceastman/Peter - I'm sure it'll be fine and it's one more part DONE.
I've also put ceastman/Peter down (with a ?) for 78 - The Voices of all the Blessed because I think that would be such beautiful symmetry... will you do it? It's just one line.
Well, the Blessed and the Damned are both done actually, one being the reverse of the other, and we can run it through effects, etc... I'll have to fish the file out of our ... 15c archives :)
-----------------

ceastman - would you read 55 - A Whore, please? I've put you down with a ?
Also, have all the whores recorded 54 - The Whores? That would be ceastman, kri, Alessia, Kymmz - at least 2 or 3 of them, perhaps. Who can check?
Ah, smart me (at smarter Stephan's pointing out missingness of lines) PMd all the gals last night before my sleep
Ah, stupid me forgot ceastman and peastman are ON VACATION starting today (Hi Catharine, as you read this in some Internet cafe or such!)
-------------------

So let's see where we stand, section by section.
First Third
  1. Do we know how Alex is getting on with 20 - Stephen?
  2. Will Sethwoodworth do 02 - The Halcyon Boys? Who can follow up - Anita?
  3. Denny I'm sure is recording his parts
  4. Our very own Anita needs to do her parts, or delegate to others!
  5. Otherwise that section looks to be all recorded
Alex had a cold and may be waiting for vocal recovery -- worth the wait -- we'll use placeholders till he sends files, been PMing Alex but haven't heard yet
Sethwoodworth may have finished his astonishing philosophy paper and be able to record any moment now...I'll do him the favor (and us) of picking out his bits and pasting them in a PM.
And I am free free freeeee (so far) today, and will do my bits :)
--------------------

Second Third
  1. We need to get some readers together for crowds/multiple reader appearances. Can I suggest that everyone who reads this records the following parts:
    Except our Bloom and our Stephen--a.r.d.
    I will paste these parts in a Ulysses Bits thread in Readers Wanted Short... --a.r.d.
    36 - The Crowd
    37 - The Orange Lodges
    39 - The Green Lodges
    47 - The Bracelets
    56 - Voices and Distant Voices
  2. Are Sethwood, Hugh, JickBahTech doing their sections? Who can follow up - Anita?
  3. What are the Aaaahs for 49 - The Choir? Is that done? I've just done a quick test singing the line (I know Anita doesn't want me to record anything else, but singing? :)), perhaps if multi-layered one could make something out of it - or is it done with the Aaahs, I don't know.
responding from botton to top -- that's great! the aaahs are in a midi sample Catharine sent before
I'll follow up with the guys
and I'll paste in a separate NeedHelp?GotAdvice? thread the scenes mentioned above.
I said, a bunch of posts back, that no one who was ever tapped to read refused (forever, only temporarily :)). But I realize too that only 3, possibly 4, of our how many? readers actually voluntarily stepped forward. :!: Maybe the separate thread will help to increase that number. But maybe I should... yeah, put it in Readers Wanted Short Works... yeah...
-------------------------

Got to dash off to a meeting, will stick in my nose further in a little while ;)
It's your gracious hand and voice you keep putting in, and we love you for it!
Last edited by a.r.dobbs on June 10th, 2006, 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anita
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Anita, if you're up, how come you're not in the chat room... :) I've just replied to your PM, too

Stephan, upload 1 gig, shouldn't be a prob
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

I said, a bunch of posts back, that no one who was ever tapped to read refused (forever, only temporarily Smile). But I realize too that only 3, possibly 4, of our how many? readers actually voluntarily stepped forward. Exclamation Maybe the separate thread will help to increase that number. But maybe I should... yeah, put it in Readers Wanted Short Works... yeah...
*giggle* I was just working on such a post - was going to put it in Help Wanted, but actually Short Works is a great idea... or put it in both, with a link only in one of them... I'll abandon this if you're doing it! :)
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Wanna hear something funny? --> "05-nymph_ce.wav"
So cute!!! The higher Catherine pitches her voice the more Bernie wants on her lap. :D
[url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/PromotionalMaterial][color=indigo]Want to promote LV? Print the poster and pin it at your library[/color][/url] | [url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/Stephan_Moebius][color=indigo]My wiki page[/color][/url]
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Stephan, well done with all the noise cleaning, that's a good step forward!

I'm having trouble downloading right now so have taken myself off 13-Stephan.wav gleaning/editing again. Perhaps I can get it tomorrow... unless someone else signs up for it first on the Task Table.

Anita, didn't quite understand what you meant about 49-The Choir. I've uploaded a .wav to the Ulysses folder (49-ge.wav) with several attempts at singing these lines - starts off quietly, the last two are louder. Birds on it, I'm afraid... Because it's Latin, I wanted it to sound like a nun's choir... anyway, I don't know what can be done with it, if anything. Perhaps with multiple tracks? Don't know what's in the Aaah file as I can't download... anyway, use it or not - mark it DONE if it is... :)
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Gesine can you check the uploader to see if my files are there. The horse was tricky to do but I did my best. If someone out there can do better - PLEASE DO!!! I wont be offended. :)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

Starlite wrote:Gesine can you check the uploader to see if my files are there. The horse was tricky to do but I did my best. If someone out there can do better - PLEASE DO!!! I wont be offended. :)
They're sittin there purty as you please
I'll listen with interest in a bit but can't just yet
Thank you so much!!!
Anita
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

Say... we haver birds after all: narrator says...
BIRDS OF PREY, WINGING FROM THE SEA, RISING FROM MARSHLANDS, SWOOPING FROM EYRIES, HOVER SCREAMING, GANNETS, CORMORANTS, VULTURES, GOSHAWKS, CLIMBING WOODCOCKS, PEREGRINES, MERLINS, BLACKGROUSE, SEA EAGLES, GULLS, ALBATROSSES, BARNACLE GEESE.

I wonder if there's any Public Domain issue with these source files:
earthcalling wrote:Here's a great resource for clips of birdsong:-

http://www.birdforum.net/birdsong.php
climbing woodcocks, my, my
Thanks for the link, David!
Anita
The Good Reverend Doctor

Post by The Good Reverend Doctor »

there was some sort of error in my attempt to upload some crowd voices to the server, so i'm uploading to yousendit. i'll post when its done.
[b]The Good Reverend Doctor's Ministry of Decency[/b]
Tues. 1-3am EST on [url=http://www.wfhb.org/listen.shtml]WFHB[/url]
Radio show, radio show. Trust the wizard, here we go. -R. Pollard
The Good Reverend Doctor

Post by The Good Reverend Doctor »

[b]The Good Reverend Doctor's Ministry of Decency[/b]
Tues. 1-3am EST on [url=http://www.wfhb.org/listen.shtml]WFHB[/url]
Radio show, radio show. Trust the wizard, here we go. -R. Pollard
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Do you guys know enviromental effects? They come with todays soundcards and can be tweaked till kingdom-come. Todays computer games use them. Of course they should be used WAY WAY WAY more subtle.
Listen with headphones for full effect:

--> http://www.moebius.mynetcologne.de/enviromental_effects_demo.mp3

JohnG you read SOOO great, you could even make dummy-text become meaningfull. I wanted to ask you: Don't you have a good >70$ microphone yet? You so deserve one!! Or did you purposefully lower the dynamic of your narrations recording? Upon editing i find it odd, that your readings suffers next to for instance Alex's, because your dynamic is considerably lower. The continous jumps in dynamics (because you are the narrator) are odd, so i want to equalize your voice in particular.
Please listen closely to this file too, because at the start you can listen to what i would do, to adapt your reading to the dynamic of for instance stephens recording. Of course it's faked dynamic. You really should get yourself a mic. Your reading and your voice so deserves it!
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Reverend Doctor your crowd figures rock!! I have the pleasure to use them in my piece of editing :)
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

Yow! that'll teach me to go to sleep! I coulda been The Really Good Reverend Doctor's First Fan at LibriVox, but Stephan has that distinction!

Stephan -- I know this is just demo, but I want to place my vote for keeping that "sideways" trick -- "his boater straw set sideways..." -- I nearly slipped off my chair. I like that! Of course ... it does make it hard to pay attention to the next bit while wonderment is so strong... :D

Johng -- listen to the wizard; he's right, you know. Your awesome Reader range far far outstrips your Audio range. Your unmagic'd audio in the demo (seconds :00 to :02), your dynamic'd audio (seconds :03ish to :08 ) -- beautiful difference!

Tina Tilney, Annie Coleman, Peter Why, tedonastick, Denny Sayers, TheGoodReverendDr -- thank you all SO much for leaping to the rescue over at the "Begging for Readers for Crowd Scenes..." and (fellows) "NEEDED a few (more) good men.." threads in Readers Wanted: Short..." I"m going to change my sig line now onnaccounta everyone's inspirational helpfulness!

By the way, all, supplication worked: our deadline is extended till the 15th! yay.

However ... the sad news is that there are some orphaned chapters. If this rollick has helped you enjoy the sheer language of Joyce, there's just time to rescue hugh's homeless chaps and meet the Bloomsday target:
June 16 release -- and a happy birthday to hugh that would be -- it's the magic 33 for him! ahhh!)

If I only had a clone!!!
anita
Last edited by a.r.dobbs on June 10th, 2006, 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anita
johng

Post by johng »

Stephan wrote: --> http://www.moebius.mynetcologne.de/enviromental_effects_demo.mp3

JohnG you read SOOO great, you could even make dummy-text become meaningfull. I wanted to ask you: Don't you have a good >70$ microphone yet? You so deserve one!! Or did you purposefully lower the dynamic of your narrations recording? Upon editing i find it odd, that your readings suffers next to for instance Alex's, because your dynamic is considerably lower. The continous jumps in dynamics (because you are the narrator) are odd, so i want to equalize your voice in particular.
Please listen closely to this file too, because at the start you can listen to what i would do, to adapt your reading to the dynamic of for instance stephens recording. Of course it's faked dynamic. You really should get yourself a mic. Your reading and your voice so deserves it!
well, thank you!!
There certainly is a difference.
I'm using a Logtech 250 USB hedset. (about $35)
What would you recommend???
The Trouble is,
you think you have Time.
-Buddha