Using the n-word

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
JohanLiebert

Post by JohanLiebert »

carolb wrote:Image Hmmph! Just joking April, but actually I am one of those tallish, skinny people,
Sorry about that carol *bows*
But really... I have no issues with LV not censoring racist/sexist and all the -ist. It's like history, you can't change it :) But you can learn from it.
April Gonzales :D
blog

Marie Antoinette & the Downfall of Royalty

I will not be around the forums for quite a time but I'll log-in whenever there's time. Please PM me if you need to talk with me. Thanks!

Animo La Salle!
carolb

Post by carolb »

Don't apologize April, I didn't take offence! Image

I totally agree with you, and it is often the people who worry about other people being offended by something who cause most offence. For example, here in the UK, some shops refuse to sell *religious* Christmas cards (thus denying the reason for the season!) for fear of offending people of other cultures - never mind 'live and let live'. The vast majority of people are far more tolerant than the relative minority's complaining would have one believe.

Carol

Edited to add: I think I saw your photograph on LV's facebook page? You're beautiful!
Timothy Ferguson

Post by Timothy Ferguson »

A negrogrampus is a killer whale, from the Latin "negro grand piscus", or "great black fish".
My occasional blog is Games from Folktales
Hobbit

Post by Hobbit »

Just adding my two cents worth to this very interesting discussion. I certainly don't believe in changing the text - what the authors wrote was what they intended to be read and (mostly) was appropriate in their time.

I admit, though, that I often grit my teeth at certain attitudes (like Jules Verne's treatment of all his "admirable" female characters as pathetic) that I often encounter. I've especially been bothered, while reading parts of Dumas's Musketeers series, by the author's constant surreptitious and slighting references to the homosexuality of Philppe d'Orleans, the younger brother of King Louis XIV. Dumas portrays Philppe as jealous, short-tempered, egotistical, and petty, and then slyly hints that the prince's sexual orientation is the reason for these character flaws. Now, I don't know whether the historical Philppe d'Orleans was really a spoiled conceited brat or not, but I do feel quite certain that if he was, it was due to being royalty rather than to being homosexual.

Apologies for my rant about Dumas. I strongly agree with everyone who has said that it's important to read the texts the way they are even when we don't agree with them, because they are portraying historic attitudes, and when we try to forget what we've done wrong in the past, we're likely to do it again. That's why I'm still recording Dumas.
Between being a full-time college student and working 20+ hours per week, I'm not able to be involved at LV these days, but I remain a loyal fan and look forward to a triumphant return sometime in the (probably distant) future.
dwarner30uk

Post by dwarner30uk »

In the same vein to previous correspondence, it occurs to me that we will eventually encounter some F-ing C-words in literature - D.H.Lawrence was a "master" of the rural/pastoral expressions in Lady Chatterley. In England we have recently experienced our England soccer captain in court having used the triple "F-ing Black C-" to a fellow player. Charming :evil:
Just a thought.
David
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

I had in mind to record Lady Chatterley at Legamus... until I finally read it ;). I cannot bring myself to voice the shorter of the two words to which you refer, so I will stick to safer ground.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
Cori

Post by Cori »

I could say it in a Ruth-like way and you could paste it in?

</helpful>
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

It would have to be in a Ruth-being-Mellors sort of way... and multiple times... multiple multiple times :lol:. It really would be a very difficult book to record. There is so much dialogue between them.

Ruth
Cori

Post by Cori »

Highly entertaining for my horrid noisy neighbours, though.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

On second thoughts, the expression on my neighbours' faces might be worth it, if I recorded in summer with the windows open.... :hmm: Do you think I may be ostracized from Neighbourhood Watch?

Ruth
wildemoose

Post by wildemoose »

RuthieG wrote:It would have to be in a Ruth-being-Mellors sort of way... and multiple times... multiple multiple times :lol:. It really would be a very difficult book to record. There is so much dialogue between them.

Ruth
Dramatic reading! :twisted:

(Preferably with me as Constance and Sean Bean as Mellors...)
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Now you say that, Arielle, it really would be suitable for a dramatic reading. :hmm: 'Fraid it's not PD for you, though. But it will be OK for Sean Bean. :lol:

Ruth
wildemoose

Post by wildemoose »

RuthieG wrote:Now you say that, Arielle, it really would be suitable for a dramatic reading. :hmm: 'Fraid it's not PD for you, though. But it will be OK for Sean Bean. :lol:

Ruth
I know, it's terribly disappointing. I'll have to content myself with rewatching the miniseries and admiring Sean Bean's...performance...from afar. :mrgreen: