WARNING: BOGUS VIRUS WARNING PMs - contact a real admin

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

It has come to our notice that a member has recently received a Private Message offering medications for sale.

We do our utmost to ensure that spammers do not survive for long on our forums, and we are constantly on the look-out for suspicious user registrations and posts.

However, we cannot, of course, see your Private Messages. So we will only know if you are receiving spam in Private Messages if you tell us about it.

If you receive any such messages, please notify any member of the admin team.

Please copy and paste the sender's user name into your message so that we don't delete the wrong account. :shock:

Below is a list of currently active admins, but some are not online as often as others. Try to PM someone who is currently online. The names of online admins are in bold type at the foot of the Librivox Forum Index page.

annise
aradlaw
bart
Carl Manchester
chocoholic
Cori
dii
ezwa
Gesine
gloriana
gypsygirl
Hokuspokus
kayray
KiltedDragon
knotyouraveragejo
Leni
lezer
RuthieG
smijen
Starlite
TriciaG
Last edited by RuthieG on February 13th, 2010, 9:44 am, edited 5 times in total.
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Today we have heard of a user pretending to be an admin sending warning virus messages by PM.

These warnings are bogus and the site in the link given probably contains viruses.

DO NOT CLICK THE LINK.

Delete the PM and notify a real LibriVox admin immediately.
swoopy

Post by swoopy »

I did send a message to an online admin, but have yet to get a reply. I've now gotten two E-Mail messages (not PM's on site, but Email in my inbox) from no-reply@librivox.org. The first was saying I had a new Private Message - which I did click on, and there was no message. The second email was warning me of phishing via private messages. After the first message I changed my password, but then later received the second email which looked more suspicious than the first.

Please advise if Librivox has such an address, and is sending out E-mail now, or if these are part of the same phishing/spam problem.

Regards,

Robynn McCarthy
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

The second email is legitimate. We do use that email address for notifications. I just checked my email and have the same one.

Esther :)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

The first message you got would have been automatic notification that you had received a PM -- this is done by the forum software. The PM disappeared because the account from which it was sent had been deleted (i.e. it was the spammer).
Laurie Anne
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

If you get an email saying you have a private message, but when you login, there isn't one, it generally means the PM was deleted by the sender out of their outbox before you logged in to read it. Unlike email, private messages stay in the sender's outbox until they are read by the addressee (and can therefore be deleted anytime before they are read).

If it was indeed one of these recent spam PMs, then it's likely that it was deleted when we deleted the spammer from the system.
Last edited by knotyouraveragejo on January 20th, 2010, 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jo
swoopy

Post by swoopy »

Good to know! Thanks so much for clearing that up.

- Robynn McCarthy
---------------------------
Skepticality - Truth in Podcasting - www.skepticality.com
mim@can

Post by mim@can »

Thanks to the Administrative Team members who were so quick to alert all of us to this scam. Chocoholic was very quick to warm me when I was sending a private message this morning. I very much appreciate it!

Ya all done good :lol:

Mim
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Another user pretending to be an admin probably sending warning virus messages by PM. This time called ForumTeamSupports.

These warnings are bogus and the site in the link given probably contains viruses.

DO NOT CLICK THE LINK.

Please delete the PM.
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

To all Librivoxers:

The genuine admins on this forum will NEVER send you a Private Message saying that you have a virus.

If you receive such a Private Message
  • notify an admin immediately and include the sender's user name.
  • do not click on any links in the message
  • delete the PM
Also, for your own protection, please ensure that you have good antivirus protection, and keep it up to date daily. We have noticed a dramatic increase in this evil activity on many forums recently, and we want you all to be safe.

Ruth
ExEmGe

Post by ExEmGe »

I've just received a text message allegedly from Hugh at
no-reply@librivox.org asking for money.
I assume this is spam?
Not that I wouldn't be prepared to give under cetain circumstances!!
Regards
Andy Minter
KiltedDragon
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by KiltedDragon »

Actually, you might want to go see here: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24397
Barry
My Recordings
“I became insane. With long intervals of horrible sanity.” - Edgar Allan Poe
ExEmGe

Post by ExEmGe »

Oh dear.
I'm obviously going blind as well as stupid :oops:
Regards
Andy Minter
Cori

Post by Cori »

As far as I know, this hasn't been an issue for a couple of years now, and would like to desticky this thread. But, does anyone know more than me about it and thinks that's a bad idea?
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I vote for de-stickying it.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart