Whether to record our names

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

On the few recordings I've made so far, I haven't recorded my name.

Is there any objective reason that I should?

What I mean is, is it just down to personal preference?

Thanks,

Anon. :)
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

It's personal preference. There's no mandate to do it.

I say my name because...I hope I'll get a following of loyal readers? I wish for a talent scout to hear my voice and hire me to make the English train announcements for the newest Tokyo subway line? I think that better than the sound of my own voice, is the sound of my own voice saying my own name?

I'm not sure why, really.

But you don't have to.
Kristen
http://www.mediatinker.com
[url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/KristenMcQuillin/]My recordings & claimed chapters[/url]
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

I actually got a note from someone who didn't even want to be credited on the Catalog page, much less speak a name on the recording. To each his own.

When I read, I credit myself as "Chip" so I don't run into non-compete issues with my professional voicing jobs. They're admittedly few and far between these days, but there's no sense in asking for trouble.

Some folks just take privacy issues more seriously than others. If you wish to speak your name, do so. If you wish to say nothing, that's ok too. Or you can speak an alias; that's what works for me.

One of the intriguing things about LibriVox is the differences between readers. I don't see any reason to force anyone to conform to a standard they wish to avoid.
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.
~Mark Twain
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

Wow Kristen, I like your site!

As a struggling part-time student of Japanese, with just a three-hour lesson each week, I deeply envy you living there. Your tutorials are great - parcel redirection! :D

David
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

Thanks, Chip!
marlodianne

Post by marlodianne »

I figure like any of your work, you can sign it how you're comfortable. But you should always claim your work. Of course, there's a long tradtional of anonymous out there, so you can always add to his body of work, if you really must. :)

You can also sign your recordings as earthcalling, because...this seems so obvious...but that is your name as well. And then, hey, you've *also* included your geo-location! :P
Marlo Dianne
Writer, Artist, Wondergeek
forbiddendragon.blogspot.com

"We live as though the world was as it should be, to show it what it can be." --Angel
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

Well, I think I've preferred so far to leave the recordings uncluttered with anything of me, beyond my voice of course; and thought that anyone who itched to find me could do so through LibriVox.org, where I will be attributed in the catalogue page. So it's not really anonymity that I'm after, more unobtrusiveness.

Hmm, that sounds like a lot of egoism for unobtrusiveness, doesn't it?

David (for it is he)
kri

Post by kri »

You can say your name, location, url, or not. Like everyone else said, it really is up to preference. When I was younger I was ultra paranoid about giving away my real name, and various identifying factors. I realized at this point for me it's pointless. I have a website, and anyone who can access whois can get my name and all sorts of stupid information. Then if you type my name into google, you can get my address and my phone number if you have my location. I just gave up.
marlodianne

Post by marlodianne »

Yes, David, I knew it was you, but...well, I felt weird calling you by name in a thread in which you expressed reluctance to say your name :lol:

As for clutter...You could say our disclaimer was clutter. That LibriVox intro, who needs it? We do! I want that message on my answering machine!

But, filler, spam, or information--it's all in your perspective.

Our brains are used to getting constant streams of information and filtering for what we actually care about. So even if a rare someone doesn't care who we are of what we're doing, I think they can just tune out for the few moments it takes us to say it.

Remember, our intros and outros are subtle. Most programming has in-your-face commericals. Hey, even professional audio books have big whacking commericals, the sissies. I've heard recordings where they speak loudly OVER the actual reader every few minutes to give you more commerical. Now *that* is just evil evil spam.
Marlo Dianne
Writer, Artist, Wondergeek
forbiddendragon.blogspot.com

"We live as though the world was as it should be, to show it what it can be." --Angel
kayray

Post by kayray »

I'd say, listen to a bunch of our recordings and decide what you as a listener like best, and then do that. I really like hearing readers say their name (real or pseudo), url, and location -- so that's what I do, too :)

It is 100% up to you!
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
purplecow

Post by purplecow »

I say my name, because I run a small Internet-based business and I've frequently had potential clients Google me. If someone out there is a Librivox user, hears my name, and somehow connects it with my business (and has a child in need of math tutoring) - I get one more client. Far-fetched, of course - but I have had more improbable clients than that.

Larisa