Audacity Help (Again)

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
LaraC

Post by LaraC »

Ok, so somehow I ended up with about 16 seconds of silence in my recording, and I can't edit it out!!! Thoughts?

Also, I tried to download the new version of Audacity and when I tried to run it, it doesn't work. Do I need to delete the old version for the new one to work?

Thanks all!!
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Lara,

If you are using WinXP SP3, then see my post below for help with getting 1.3.8 up and running:

http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=367761#367761

How are you trying to edit out your unwanted silence? You should be able to just selected the part you want to remove and hit Delete.
Jo
LaraC

Post by LaraC »

Thanks!! It's a little too complicated to run at this late hour, but I will try it soon and let you know.
LaraC

Post by LaraC »

Tips on removing the silence anyone?
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Hi LaraC,

to remove excess ending silence, just highlight the section of silence you do not want and click delete or the scissor button.

How did you make out with installing 1.3.8 ?
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
LaraC

Post by LaraC »

It's not ending silence. It's in the middle.

HAven't had the time to install yet, summer's been busy for me, and the end and beginning of the month are heavy on the paperwork. It's on my agenda for next weekend though. Thanks for your help, I'll certainly be back if there are any problems!!!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

You should be able to highlight (click and drag your cursor) the middle silence and use your Delete button, just like you can do at the end.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
LaraC

Post by LaraC »

Didn't work! I even tried to cut and paste, but that didn't work either. Whenever I tried to paste it, it moved it over and put it in the same place.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

That's WEIRD! *Dumb question alert:* Is this happening only on one file, or on any recordings you're doing?

For the fun of it, go into Preferences (control-P), then to Interface, and see if the box is checked that says something like, "Allow other clips to move when editing."

It seems like I've seen an option somewhere that will just put in silence instead of moving the clips. I can't tell if that's it, or if there's another one hidden somewhere that I can't find.

As a last resort, you could do whatever edits need doing, then upload it and ask someone to edit out the silence(s) for you, but it'd be better to just get the silly problem solved. :roll:
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

It sounds like it is inserting rather than replacing. As Tricia suggests, maybe this is an option somewhere in the preferences. Are you working with all the audio in a single track or multiple tracks?
Jo
LaraC

Post by LaraC »

It happened once before and I was able to make it do what I wanted but it took a LOT of trying and I can't remember how I did it. I looked in preferences and I didn't find anything I thought might be it, unless it's called something weird.