Choosing a genre suited for your voice

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Cori

Post by Cori »

You've read Greyfriars Bobby, Joy, of course?

(It totally needs LVing at some point, but is written Scottishly, so I won't be head of the queue for making it sound proper.)
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

momof3Chihuahuas wrote: Of course, there are Robert Burns's poems, and some of them are read beautifully by, for example, paradise.camaflouge (I wish he'd come back!!), & others too, of course.
You could always shoot Andy a PM and let him know that you like his voice. I have seen him around off and on. I agree that it would be nice to have him read more for LV. His voice is so soothing and that accent is adorable.
:9:

Esther :D
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
Lucy_k_p

Post by Lucy_k_p »

Robert Louis Stevenson was Scottish and Kidnapped is set in Scotland. We even have a copy in the catalogue.
So little space, so much to say.
momof3Chihuahuas

Post by momof3Chihuahuas »

Joy, you could try Neil M. Gunn. I read "Butcher's Broom" once, long ago, which is set at the time of the land enclosures, but found it too harrowing to read and can't remember much about it ... though I do remember how involving it was.

The other I've read of his is "The Well at the World' End", which is almost mystical but does hold some wonderful pictures of Scottish highland life. I love this book and come back to it every five years or so. I first encountered it as a "Book at Bed-time" on the radio long, long ago, and bought it.

Those are the only two of his I've read, but there are quite a few more. I think wikipedia has something on him.
Thanks, Peter, I'll check him out! :D Although "too harrowing to read" sounds sort of scary! :shock:
You've read Greyfriars Bobby, Joy, of course?

(It totally needs LVing at some point, but is written Scottishly, so I won't be head of the queue for making it sound proper.)
Actually, Cori, I have a copy of Greyfriars Bobby, but I haven't read it yet. It's not already in the LV catalogue? Hmm. It would be tough for me to read it properly, of course, since it is "written Scottishly," but I'm still tempted--or would love to help with it. It would be so cool to read or listen to a book about a dog that's set in Scotland!
You could always shoot Andy a PM and let him know that you like his voice. I have seen him around off and on. I agree that it would be nice to have him read more for LV. His voice is so soothing and that accent is adorable.
Yes, I did that, actually, Esther. I sent it on July 19, but he still hasn't read it; it's still in my Outbox. Of course he has no clue who I am, but I told him he's got a great voice to listen to. Hopefully he'll see it sometime.

Thanks for the suggestions & help, Peter, Cori, & Esther! :) And, Lucy, I'll probably listen to Kidnapped sometime. I've never read it & it sounds like a great book! :)

Joy :D
You cannot understand the glories of the universe without believing there is some Supreme Power behind it. Stephen Hawking

Twitter @momof3chis (but don't have cell phone LOL :roll:)