Garageband editing question

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
johng

Post by johng »

I like the way I can stop a Garagband taping and then start again without any noticeable stop/start sound. However, I have been unable to figure out how to INSERT a pause or a comment or word I've inadvertently left out.
When I try to insert something, then the cuts after the insert don't move toward the end to make room for the new material.
Anyone know how to insert and push the rest down??
The Trouble is,
you think you have Time.
-Buddha
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Yes, take a pause from another bit (highlight it and hit return or whatever until it becomes its own segment if it isn't a segment already), then copy and paste it into the place where you want it. Paste again if you need a longer pause, or chop the segment in two or whatever.

If this doesn't make sense, tell me and I'll try to explain again... :)
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
johng

Post by johng »

well, that SHOULD work...but what happens is that the sections beyond the inserted pause (or other alteration) don't "slide right" to make room for the new insertion.
What happens is that the section immediately to the right of the new material moves right...but it also moves OVER the NEXT section beyond, instead of everything being pushed.
The Trouble is,
you think you have Time.
-Buddha
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Ugh, yes, I remember. No, don't have a solution for that, other than shifting the whole block to the right prior to inserting. Which is awkward. This, I now remember, is one of the many reasons why I switched to Audacity. :)
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
johng

Post by johng »

[quote="Gesine"]Ugh, yes, I remember. No, don't have a solution for that, other than shifting the whole block to the right prior to inserting. Which is awkward. This, I now remember, is one of the many reasons why I switched to Audacity. :)[/quote]

well...I guess I better try Audacity...see how it fits.
Thanks!
:(
The Trouble is,
you think you have Time.
-Buddha
Kele

Post by Kele »

To slid multiple blocks do a select all and then holding down the shift key delselect the ones to the left of where you want to insert.

If there are more to the left than the right you can just shift click the ones you want to slide to the right.

After you are finished inserting you would use whichever works best for you and slide them back to fill up any gaps.