cousin Ann

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Betty

Post by Betty »

My cousin Ann is going to Rochester MN for cancer treatment. She has a very rare form of cancer - lymphoma of the eyes and brain. The treatment course will consist of a 5 day stay at the clinic every other week for a while. In the first hour they will inject the cancer therapy agent into each eye and her blood stream. The rest of the time they will be running fluid into her full tilt via an iv port to flush the agent out before it can damage her healthy organs.

They told her she will get no sleep and will be bored. So I am loading books on to my mp3 player to send with her. It has 8 gigabytes and 30 hour battery life. So I am hoping to be able to load at least 3 books.

I am looking for a book I saw a few weeks ago and didn't mark. If I remember right it was a humorous story about an Irish man who gets elected to something. Can anyone tell me the name? Or if anyone has any suggestions I would be grateful to get them. I am loading Pride and Prejudice and Patricia Brent, Spinster tonight and hope to take the mp3 player to her on Sunday.
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

I'm just guessing -- is this the one?
http://librivox.org/some-experiences-of-an-irish-rm-by-edith-oenone-somerville-and-martin-ross/

Best wishes for your cousin! You'll be able to get several books onto an 8-gig mp3 player, as long as she (or someone) can change batteries. The 64-kbps files are the smallest, though audio quality is not quite as good as the 128 versions.
Laurie Anne
Betty

Post by Betty »

Thanks a lot, chocoholic. I will load this on tonight too. Do you have any book recommendations? She is a proud four poster Irish (means all grandparents were Irish immigrants) so if you know of another funny Irish book I would be grateful for the suggestion.

Thanks for your kind wishes for Ann, she has always loved to read and was saddened by her loss of vision in just this past 6 months. Yet it was her determination to save her vision, beyond one eye doctor telling her she would just have to live with the vision loss, that led to such an early diagnosis of the lymphoma and the prospect for a favorable outcome.

So I am so happy to introduce her to Librivox.
Cori

Post by Cori »

It's not at all Irish, but another particularly amusing book is Helen's Babies, soloed by Kara. Made me laugh out loud in several places, and it's a lovely story.

If your cousin has already read What Katy Did sometime in the past, then she might like the LibriVox recording; it comes to mind because the reader of the first few chapters has a lovely Irish lilt. If she hasn't read it, then I'd worry that the story might be too close to home for her situation at the moment, and would recommend other things instead.

Wishing her well! And, once she gets fully into LibriVox listening and once she's safe at home again, well, we always welcome fresh ears to help us in the later stages of the work. :D
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

How about some Comic History of England? It has a chapter titled "Conquest of Ireland: Uncomfortable Effects Following the Cultivation of an Acquisitorial Propensity" It is a humorous look at some history and she may learn something. :lol:

Esther :shock:
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Hmm, I can't think of any other books by/about the Irish off the top of my head except for Ulysses and the History of Ireland series, which don't sound quite like what you're looking for. You might want to edit the title of this thread to mention humor and/or Irish books, if you'd like more recommendations. Also, if she (or you :)) has any requests for future recordings, please let us know!
Laurie Anne