need help: audacity/editing sound for dummies

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
kri

Post by kri »

Harvey, I'm pretty sure Tom said that he increased the microphone/device volume, not the playback volume. Correct me if I'm wrong Tom.

Tom, I would highly recommend you posting at least a piece of one of the culprit audio files. The best way to solve a problem is to weed out all the variables.
kri

Post by kri »

Oh yes, and did you try to make absolutely sure that your microphone is plugged in well? Try unplugging and re-pluging it in. Also, if you have access to another computer, try that as well. As I said, it's best to try a bunch of different things and eventually you'll find the variant that's 'causing trouble.
Tom Storer

Post by Tom Storer »

I believe I've found the problem. The mike/headset is USB, but in fact it has two parts: the headset itself ends in dual jacks which are connected to the computer via a USB connection part that has a USB connector on one end and places to plug in the jacks on the other. The two jacks are one for the mike (input) and one for the headset (output); I had inversed them when plugging them into the USB connector piece. I haven't tested it yet--it's late here!--but I'm confident that's the problem. Tomorrow morning I'll test to make sure.

Thanks for all your input!