How do you PL?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

Many of the things that we long-time proofers do (checking technicals, etc) is done because we want each project to be the best it can be, not becuase it's required by the standards. Some of the technicals, if caught early, can be corrected by the reader before they delete their original recording, and the quality of the resulting file will be better (sometimes much better) than if the mp3 is used as the source for the fix.

If you're reporting everything required by the standards listed for the project, you're doing a good job. If you go beyond the call of the standards in checking things that have to be checked before the work can be cataloged but are not part of the proofing standards, you're doing an even better job, and have no doubt that I, as an MC, appreciate the assistance provided, as it allows me to handle more projects at once, and that means more books in the catalog in less time.
Paul
[b]DPL: [url=http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12852]Brigands of the Moon[/url]; [url=http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13151]Brain Twister[/url][/b]
russiandoll

Post by russiandoll »

Illiterati wrote:ExpressScribe
- Couldn't open a lot of mp3s
- The bookmarks did not work, for my money the interface needs to be rethought
- hotkeys mess up other programs
That's interesting, Illiterati - I've never had any of those problems with Express Scribe. Maybe it's to do with different versions, or systems, or the kinds of programs that you have running at the same time.

As for PLing (of which I don't do much), I do the things that are asked for in the guidelines in the project's top post. If I know it's a new reader, I'll check the technical specs as well, not because I consider it essentially 'my job' but as a 'just in case', because it can be helpful.

If I'm listening to a new reader's first test recording (which generally get more than one listener anyway), I'll check the technical specs or, if I've only had time for a quick one-click 'who's this new voice?' streaming listen, note in my feedback (on volume, mic-popping etc.) that I haven't checked them.

I agree with Paul: any proof listener checking the things specified in the top post is doing just fine - as a reader, BC, and proto-MC, I wouldn't expect any more.
English is the lingua franca par excellence
Illiterati

Post by Illiterati »

russiandoll wrote:
Illiterati wrote:ExpressScribe
- Couldn't open a lot of mp3s
- The bookmarks did not work, for my money the interface needs to be rethought
- hotkeys mess up other programs
That's interesting, Illiterati - I've never had any of those problems with Express Scribe. Maybe it's to do with different versions, or systems, or the kinds of programs that you have running at the same time.
Might actually be OS-specific. I am strictly Apple.

I also see how some people might like the program a lot. It is probably only a question of how the user's head (in this case, mine) is organized, and how I'm used to doing things on my Mac - I tend to use a lot of keyboard shortcuts, so the hotkeys messed up my routine.

I was wondering the non-opening mp3s myself. I ran into quite a lot of mp3s that had zero length in Scribe, and thus could not be listened. The notes I tried to put in bookmarks just vanished.

I think these were really bugs in the Mac version.

I
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

How do I pl? Let me see... I listen and think to myself "what would disturb me if I was a listener"? Than, I comment about things that would disturb me. In addition, I follow the directions of the standard proof listening (that is my duty, of course).
Stav.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Something that hasn't been mentioned do other PLers listen to corrected files ?

Anne
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

annise wrote:Something that hasn't been mentioned do other PLers listen to corrected files ?

Anne
I always do. I had it once when the uploader was full, that it looked like the fixed file was uploaded.. but 3 times I listened and the old file was still in its place.

Esther :)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

I don't listen to the whole file, but I spot-check the parts that I noted needed correction. I haven't had the experience with the uploader being full that Esther has, but I did run into a case where the upload of the corrected file was interrupted, and never made it to the uploader.
Paul
[b]DPL: [url=http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12852]Brigands of the Moon[/url]; [url=http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13151]Brain Twister[/url][/b]
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I have wondered whether if you go to re upload a file, the uploader renames the old one then if the upload doesn't work you are left with the renamed file only ? That would explain renamed files and no ordinary one

I have only been checking some files a second time mainly because of download restrictions and I was told in one of my early PLs not to bother checking but I haven't been totally happy about it - even experts could reload the same file.

Anne
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

annise wrote: even experts could reload the same file.

Anne
Sheepishly raises hand.... :oops:
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

annise wrote:I have wondered whether if you go to re upload a file, the uploader renames the old one then if the upload doesn't work you are left with the renamed file only ? That would explain renamed files and no ordinary one

I have only been checking some files a second time mainly because of download restrictions and I was told in one of my early PLs not to bother checking but I haven't been totally happy about it - even experts could reload the same file.

Anne
Yes, Anne, I've noticed this several times, and I gather the problem is general and not infrequent. I think it can happen both when uploading a file for the first time, when you are left only with a renamed file and no file with a "good" name, or when replacing a file, same thing. The return message from the uploader does not indicate that there is a problem in any way.

Sadly, I often forget to do this myself :oops: and find that I'm sol. The way I check for it is to make sure the link works; on all uploads to my projects. If a link doesn't work, I look for a renamed file on the server. For reuploaded files, use the new link to check at least one place where the file was edited.

BC's who detect problems will need to ask an MC to rename files when necessary.

For anyone who may not already know, this URL works for most people:
http://upload.librivox.org/uploads/ (thank you, Starlite):

It allows you to see the files in the MC directories, so you can figure out what the problem is. You may download these files and reupload with the correct name if you wish (of course, check to see if it worked!)

The MC should get rid of the extra files when he/she does regular housekeeping.

As you can see, MC's who housekeep by just deleting all renamed files risk erasing the only copy of some submissions. I think this happened several times during the recent server crunch.

To make sure this doesn't happen, it's best to check every time and deal with misnamed files as soon as possible.
catchpenny

Post by catchpenny »

PaulW, Can I ask if the reader wants me to make a note of possible mispronounced words? (Taking into account discrepancies in dictionaries) If they say no, no big deal. But I will at least have offered.
Anyone can read accurately. [i]I[/i] read with great expression.
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Now, that's the topic that I've searching for :) I only registered a few days ago, and since I'm not recording, I've focused on PLing. As I'm new to it I sometimes doubt whether I do everyting I should.

I know that lots of people posted their MOs in this thread, but I'll do that too. The thread has been dormant since 2008, but I hope I'll manage to revive it, because I bet that, as new people arrive, they too ask themselves: "Am I doing everything I should and the way I should?".

- After dowloading the file I listen to it in a player, preferably foobar.

- As far as the techincal things go, I check what my current level of knowledge allows me to: mono vs stereo, sample rate, bitrate, tags. I don't check the exact volume level (in dB) because I don't know how to do it :(

While listening I note down all the slips, repetitions, everything that grates on my ear. I must say I'm a bit at a loss whether I should point out all such problems, or just major ones (not to mention that "major" is a strictly subjective word). I obviously note down the time when an error occurred and the context). When I hear a word that I think might have been mispronounced I check against the text. I check the silences, althought I'm not sure whether the times mentioned in the tips for PLers are to be strictly stuck to or is it just a rule of thumb. What I understand from the previous discussion in this thread, it's rather the latter.

What worries me a bit is that I'm still to a large extent Audacity-illiterate. Even if I listen to a file in Audacity, I'm not sure what I should pay attention to. I guess I should just watch more tutorials. The question is: is it possible to PL well without knowing the ins and out of Audacity?
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Piotrek81 wrote:they too ask themselves: "Am I doing everything I should and the way I should?".

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=36489

;)

Hope you find it helpful.

Esther :mrgreen:
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I don't think not using Audacity is a problem , a number of our PLers don't and there is no need. If you feel something is wrong with the sound there are a number of different ways it could be handled - you could PM the BC to have a listen - a good plan , 4 ears are better than 2, plan 2 you could PM the MC , and if neither of these approaches work just say that you were concerned about the sound quality and suggest they ask about it in in Help Wanted . No one here knows all the answers :D

Anne
TimoleonWash

Post by TimoleonWash »

Dang! Newbie here and I just had to post. What a great thread. I do not remember a thread with so many cool signatures. And wonderful coverage of the topic. Thanks y'all.

I believe I found quite a bit of consensus in the thread and am thinking how useful it might be if those thoughts were consolidated into one of those posts that stick at the top of a thread...

If this is a good idea and one of you old hands would have my help in doing so, I offer.
tim

They listen but do not hear for their ears are stopped up
If you create and your creation is destroyed, create anyway. (paraphrasing Mother Teresa) . . Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ