best way to edit ID3 tags on a Mac? [solved]

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
smijen

Post by smijen »

Hi all - I've got a new Macbook and am trying to become "bi-platform."

As a BC, I often want to edit ID3 tags without doing anything else to the file... so I don't think I want to use Audacity because I don't need/want to create a .aup file that I then have to re-export as an mp3. (Right? Maybe I'm missing something with Audacity.)

So I used to do this in Windows Explorer. I would like there to be an equivalent function in the Mac Finder, but I don't think there is.

Apparently I can do this in iTunes, but I cannot figure out what iTunes is doing with my files! I generally save everything in a folder callled Sarah/LibriVox/bookname/, but when I open a file in iTunes, (I think) it copies it into some other iTunes music folder. So if I change something in iTunes, it seems only to change that copy and not the "real" file in my LV folder. I suppose I could keep everything in an iTunes folder, but what about my own recordings? Keep those in an Audacity folder?

Does this make any sense to anyone out there? If you're a Mac lover who both reads and BCs, I'd love to hear from you.
Last edited by smijen on April 5th, 2008, 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Android users - try Orthografiend, a free word game from the maker of Checker.
puffin1

Post by puffin1 »

I'm eager to see the answer to this as well.
[size=84][color=#483d8b][b]Is it weird in here, or is it just me? [/b][/color][/size]- [size=75][i]Steven Wright[/size][/i]
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

If you go into Itunes preferences, under the Advanced tab and uncheck "Copy files to Itunes Music folder when adding to library" then the changes you make will be to the original file.
Karen S.
kayray

Post by kayray »

Yup, what Karen said :) I use iTunes for all my tagging needs.

Enjoy your new macbook! I've got a list of absolutely indispensable OS X freeware (mostly) utilities somewhere... Ah here it is. http://kayray.org/2006/11/20/new-macbook/
Democracy is called Miro now.
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

smijen

Post by smijen »

Wow! Thanks everybody. :D
Cloud Mountain

Post by Cloud Mountain »

Problems solved, smijen?
[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=254]Alan's LV catalog[/url]
smijen

Post by smijen »

Yes - thanks for checking. I've added [solved] to the thread title, so potential helpers don't need to waste their time and so potential helpees know they can look at this thread for an answer.