LAME install on Intel based iMac?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
puffin1

Post by puffin1 »

Has anyone been able to do this? Part of the readme text says:

"NOTE: As written, the build script requires the 10.2.8 SDK and gcc 3.3 compiler
to be installed in addition to the 10.4 SDK and gcc 4.0 compiler. This is to
provide compatibility back to 10.2 for the PPC architecture.

Also, it is meant to be run from a PPC based Mac. Slight modifications will need
to be make to allow it to run on an Intel based Mac."

Are the modifications coming from the makers? Or do programmer types need to do whatever it is for themselves? I'm new to Macs, so I'm still learning the culture as it is in any case.

Elaine
[size=84][color=#483d8b][b]Is it weird in here, or is it just me? [/b][/color][/size]- [size=75][i]Steven Wright[/size][/i]
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

When I installed it on my mac I didn't do anything special (I didn't look at the instructions, which would have just confused me, I think), just downloaded the files and installed like any other application and I've had no problems with it.
Karen S.
UncleJake

Post by UncleJake »

I installed it on my new Intel based iMac and have *so far* had no problems.

Jake
"Reading rots the mind." - Uncle Analdas in Robert Lawson's [i]Rabbit Hill[/i]
puffin1

Post by puffin1 »

Thanks for the experiences. I'll try cleaning it away, then downloading again later. Someone else mentioned "repairing permissions" which I had known nothing about. Apparently something to be done before and after program downloads.

Cheers,

Elaine
[size=84][color=#483d8b][b]Is it weird in here, or is it just me? [/b][/color][/size]- [size=75][i]Steven Wright[/size][/i]
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

The universal version should be OK, as it's described at http://spaghetticode.org/lame/ as "For Audacity 1.3.3 on Mac OS X (Intel or PPC), or Audacity 1.2.6 on Mac OS X (Intel)"

The link is: http://spaghetticode.org/lame/libmp3lame-osx-universal-3.97.zip

David
puffin1

Post by puffin1 »

Thanks David. I think I'm trying to move too fast - my learning curve on this iMac is going to take some time to get over. The good news is that I figured out how to record my voice with Audacity, and trim parts out. That may be all the victory I can stand for now. :wink:

I also haven't given the built-in GB a chance yet - the wiki makes that look pretty straightforward, and no additional program is required. But I'm not there yet. I need to take breaks to eat, sleep, go to work and do laundry.

:) Thanks again,

Elaine
Cloud Mountain

Post by Cloud Mountain »

The standard set up of the NEWEST Audacity works fine on my new Intel iMac.

(But I'd be danged to know why anyone would use Audacity when they have a marvelous much easier and more elegant free GarageBand on their machine?) )Amd ypu dpm't need LAME for that. BTW, LV is recommending only the 2.6 version of Audacity. 1.3x is a beta program and people have found it to be good promarily for noise cleaning.) (GB doesn't need "noisecleaning" per se; use instead some of the sound settings.)
[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=254]Alan's LV catalog[/url]
Planish

Post by Planish »

I had no trouble installing the universal binary for 1.3.3 (beta) on my wife's Mac Mini with the Intel Core Duo. - http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/beta_mac - and I just followed the instructions for installing the LAME encoder, as on http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help/faq?s=install&item=lame-mp3
"NOTE: As written, the build script requires the 10.2.8 SDK and gcc 3.3 compiler ...
Are you thinking of compiling your own version from the source code? That's what it sounds like, which would be the hard way of installing Audacity. Unless that's your idea of a good time.
There is no frigate like a book / To take us lands away,
Nor any coursers like a page / Of prancing poetry.
puffin1

Post by puffin1 »

Are you thinking of compiling your own version from the source code? That's what it sounds like, which would be the hard way of installing Audacity. Unless that's your idea of a good time.
No, not at all! I just saw that text in the "read me" document, and wondered if there was some techie-geekie stuff that needed to be done for an intel iMac. As I said above, I'm backing away from the software now, so nobody will get hurt! :wink: GB, here I come!

Elaine
Kim S

Post by Kim S »

have a peek at this thread,
http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11229

where I got help with my GB learning curve.
Planish

Post by Planish »

puffin1 wrote:I just saw that text in the "read me" document, and wondered if there was some techie-geekie stuff that needed to be done for an intel iMac.
Ah. Then I guess the answer you are looking for is ... no.
No more than for a PowerPC Mac.
There is no frigate like a book / To take us lands away,
Nor any coursers like a page / Of prancing poetry.
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

Installed on Intel MacBook for some months and as of this week on an Intel iMac. No problem whatsoever.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
puffin1

Post by puffin1 »

As I hinted above, I'm contentedly learning Garage Band. Thanks for all the replies. :)

Elaine