Help! I unplugged my mic and I may lose my LONG file...

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Claire

Post by Claire » September 9th, 2007, 1:42 pm

I was recording a rather lengthy article and needed to replenish my mug of water.
Usually I take my headphones off and then just put them back on when I'm ready to continue. This time, for whatever stupid reason (I that thought by leaving the headphones intact and unplugging, I could keep my mic in the same exact spot), I unplugged the mic. (The recording was on pause and, stupidly, I hadn't saved it yet.)

When I returned and plugged the mic back in, I noticed that I was no longer recording. I figured that I could just save my recording and then splice on the rest after I recorded it. Now, the pause and stop buttons have been disabled. I also can not save my work even though I can see it on the screen. Is this beyond having to do again? :(

lezer

Post by lezer » September 9th, 2007, 1:48 pm

What program are you using?

Claire

Post by Claire » September 9th, 2007, 1:49 pm

I'm using Audacity. (Not the 1.3 beta, but the older version.)

kristin

Post by kristin » September 9th, 2007, 1:53 pm

Are you using a regular mic or usb?
[size=75]Whereas story is processed in the mind in a straightforward manner, poetry bypasses rational thought and goes straight to the limbic system and lights it up like a brushfire. It's the crack cocaine of the literary world. - Jasper Fforde[/size]

lezer

Post by lezer » September 9th, 2007, 1:54 pm

Hmm, I don't know exactly what happened in your case. But perhaps the following may help:
select the whole of your recording by CTRL+A. Copy it by CTRL+C. Then open a new window of Audacity (under File... Open) - and paste it there (CTRL+V). And now save it under a different name.

Actually, I think you'll be alright either way. The most probable reason why you can't save it, is that you saved before you got the water - so when you close off this version, and open the saved one it will probably all be alright.

I hope this helps... Good luck!

Claire

Post by Claire » September 9th, 2007, 1:54 pm

A USB.

Claire

Post by Claire » September 9th, 2007, 1:55 pm

lezer wrote:Hmm, I don't know exactly what happened in your case. But perhaps the following may help:
select the whole of your recording by CTRL+A. Copy it by CTRL+C. Then open a new window of Audacity (under File... Open) - and paste it there (CTRL+V). And now save it under a different name.

Actually, I think you'll be alright either way. The most probable reason why you can't save it, is that you saved before you got the water - so when you close off this version, and open the saved one it will probably all be alright.

I hope this helps... Good luck!
I had thought about a copy and paste. I hadn't saved it at all yet. Really stupid.

lezer

Post by lezer » September 9th, 2007, 1:56 pm

lezer wrote:Actually, I think you'll be alright either way. The most probable reason why you can't save it, is that you saved before you got the water
I meant: when in Audacity, you have made no changes after the last save, the "save" option in the menus will be disabled.

kristin

Post by kristin » September 9th, 2007, 1:56 pm

I'm going to take a guess and say either your computer or audacity lost what mic it's supposed to be using. Go into the preferences on audacity and see if you can set the mic.
[size=75]Whereas story is processed in the mind in a straightforward manner, poetry bypasses rational thought and goes straight to the limbic system and lights it up like a brushfire. It's the crack cocaine of the literary world. - Jasper Fforde[/size]

Claire

Post by Claire » September 9th, 2007, 1:57 pm

Audacity won't even let me set the preferences. That part of the drop down box is not in bold. :( I can rewind, go forward, etc. I can't listen to anything, though.

kristin

Post by kristin » September 9th, 2007, 2:01 pm

Well I've managed to recreate the problem. :wink:

Working on a way to unlock it.

Claire

Post by Claire » September 9th, 2007, 2:01 pm

Thanks, Kristin. I'm terrified to close Audacity. It's just sitting there with my unsaved file open in it. :oops:

lezer

Post by lezer » September 9th, 2007, 2:02 pm

Sorry, it's beyond me.... I'm just a newbie myself. I'm sure Kristin will be able to figure something out, though!

Claire

Post by Claire » September 9th, 2007, 2:03 pm

lezer wrote:Sorry, it's beyond me.... I'm just a newbie myself. I'm sure Kristin will be able to figure something out, though!
Thanks, lezer! Any suggestions are appreciated! :D

kristin

Post by kristin » September 9th, 2007, 2:20 pm

It's not good. There are options that look available but I'm not getting any response from them. Like the copy option, which looks like it should be working but isn't. I've tried everything I can think of and pretty much clicked on everything available. I think it's locked up. As I was able to recreate the problem multiple times I would say this is going to consistently happen when the mic is unplugged.

Maybe wait a while and see if anyone else has any suggestions before giving up on it fully. (Small hope, I know.) Sorry, I couldn't help.