Alternatives to Audacity

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
martinc

Post by martinc »

I am a newbie here and have just recorded a poem and used Audacity to edit it. Audacity was perfectly ok, but not as pretty as Sound Studio on the Mac.

Sound Studio looks a little less daunting than Audacity and I wondered if anyone has any expereience using it.

In particular I cannot find out how to enter ID3 tags which is what put me off using it for my first attempt.

Martin
GordMackenzie

Post by GordMackenzie »

Martin,

On Windows, Audacity prompts for ID3 tags when you convert/export your file as an MP3. Prior to export, the file is stored in a proprietary Audacity format which does not use ID3 tags.

I hope that helps!
Gord Mackenzie
gord[dot]mackenzie[at]gmail.com
Librivox Wiki Page: [url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/GordMackenzie]GordMackenzie[/url]
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

you can also go into (i think): project/ID3 ... and edit there.
martinc

Post by martinc »

Gord and Hugh

Thanks - I have no problem with ID3 tags in Audacity, it seems to be sound studio that has no mechanism for inputting them.

If I have to resort to a second bit of software to enter the tags I might as well use Audacity from the start which works fine, but just seems a little complex for my simple needs

Martin
GordMackenzie

Post by GordMackenzie »

martinc wrote: Thanks - I have no problem with ID3 tags in Audacity, it seems to be sound studio that has no mechanism for inputting them.
LOL! Sorry about that... carry on.
Gord Mackenzie
gord[dot]mackenzie[at]gmail.com
Librivox Wiki Page: [url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/GordMackenzie]GordMackenzie[/url]
kri

Post by kri »

If you're using a recent Windows machine, you should be able to input id3 tags without any program at all. Just go to where you have your mp3 file, right click on it, and click properties. In the properties dialog box, there should be a tab called Summary. Click that, and you have your editable id3 tags. Just click the one you want to edit, and start typing and it will add them in for you.
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

youre on mac right - iTunes has a ID3 tag editor - so if you get your mp3 into itunes you can fix em. i think it's file/info or something. let me check.
vee

Post by vee »

From iTunes (regardless of mac or PC) import your MP3 file into iTunes. Just drag the file from wherever you saved it into the iTunes window and it'll import it. Once imported click on the file once then go to click on File and then Get Info.

This will bring up information about the track. The second tab is labled "Info" and will allow you to edit ID3 tags. You can use this to apply the same ID3 tags to multiple files as well, by selecting them all before selecting Get Info. The shortcut key is ctrl-i (PC) or Apple/Command - i on mac

Hope that helps
Chris Vee
"You never truly understand something until you can explain it to your grandmother." - Albert Einstein
martinc

Post by martinc »

Thanks again

Yes I am using a mac - I *can* change the tags in iTunes, but it seems pointless to use iTunes as well as Sound Studio when I can do the whole job in Audacity.

No problem, I shall use Audacity from now on unless I have an inspiration (I have asked the sound studio help desk and await an answer from them)
It really is not a big problem I was just being picky

Martin
martinc

Post by martinc »

And what's more I have just found a freeware program called ID3 editor which does the job easily!

Martin
kayray

Post by kayray »

Hey Martin, I use Sound Studio and I just love it. As far as I know, it doesn't do any encoding of aif --> mp3, so there's no where for it to PUT id3 tags.

I just encode with lame, and then open up the file in iTunes (as everyone else already suggested hehehe)

Hey thanks for mentioning id3 editor --- I'll try it!

If you need any Sound Studio tips, let me know.

You can hit Audio --> Mixdown to Mono before you record and save yourself a whole lot of disk space :)

Kara
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
martinc

Post by martinc »

Thanks Kara

the ID3 editor is called "ID3 editor"! I got it from www.versiontracker.com

Martin
kayray

Post by kayray »

Yup, I just downloaded it from versiontracker and installed it :)
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)