Adobe Audition Advice

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
MikiMooseVO

Post by MikiMooseVO »

Hello.

I am brand new to librivox, voice over, and working in a voice editing program. I have been struggling with trying to get my audio levels between the 86-92 db threshold. I have been playing around with some audio that I have on my computer, and just can't seem to get it right. After I finish my recording and process it. I normalize it to -3 db. Then when I go to check if it will be okay in the checker it always fails (typically it sits around 92 db). I have also tried normalizing it to -6 db. It passes but with warnings. So, I am not too sure what that means. Is there a way that I can hit the sweet spot of 89 db in adobe audtion? While also seeing the levels while editing? Or should I download audacity and the plug in that allows me to do it?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. :)

Thank you!

Micaela
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

What warnings is it returning when you normalize to -6 dB? What volume does Checker say when you do it to -6?

It could possibly be something not related to the volume. :hmm:
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
MikiMooseVO

Post by MikiMooseVO »

I figured out how to see the warnings, and the warning was that I used capital letters in the file name. lol The volume at -6 db was 89 db. So, it does hit the sweet spot. Just wanna make sure it is okay for my normalization to be at -6 db instead of -3.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Yes, that should be fine. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
MikiMooseVO

Post by MikiMooseVO »

Awesome thank you so much for your help! :)
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

That would work. You can also try using RMS instead of peaks to normalize. I use -21db RMS which nails 89db almost exactly.

Also, if you use dynamic compression on your audio (as I do) you'll get a higher overall volume with lower peaks, which is what compression does. At -21db RMS my peaks will often be around -4db, or even lower. Not a problem.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page