Pronunciation help: all languages

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Teabender

Post by Teabender »

Kitty wrote: May 28th, 2022, 12:34 am
Teabender wrote: May 23rd, 2022, 5:09 pmSainte-Beuve says, "Il vient un age peut-etre quand on n'ecrit plus."
here is the file, spoken once fluently and once word by word so you can easier copy the pronunciation.

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/storyofmylife3_14_french.mp3

it means: maybe there will come a time when we won't write anymore

if you wish you can send me your file by PM so I can check how you did. :)

Hope this helps

Sonia
Thank you so, so much! Really appreciate how you say it both slow and at a natural pace, this is going to help a lot. :)
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I'm looking for someone who is knowledgeable in Greek to help me with this short snippet: https://archive.org/details/lostgodwithillus00bouruoft/page/n8/mode/1up That should bring you to the exact page I need help with. It's one of the introductory pages in this book. I'd like to know what the Greek text says and preferably how to pronounce it as well. I've just launched this project, and I don't know whether I will include this little line or not. But I'm hoping that you (whoever you are) can help me decide!
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

mightyfelix wrote: June 11th, 2022, 11:36 am I'm looking for someone who is knowledgeable in Greek to help me with this short snippet: https://archive.org/details/lostgodwithillus00bouruoft/page/n8/mode/1up That should bring you to the exact page I need help with. It's one of the introductory pages in this book. I'd like to know what the Greek text says and preferably how to pronounce it as well. I've just launched this project, and I don't know whether I will include this little line or not. But I'm hoping that you (whoever you are) can help me decide!
The contrastive particle δ᾽ indicates that it is part of a larger phrase, but I can't find it anywhere else. In isolation it is ambiguous. I would read it as "but neither one of my two brothers cares about the other", or possibly "but no one else cares about my two brothers". The grammar seems to me a little fishy in both cases. eh-MOIN ah-del-FOIN thah-TEH-roy doo-DEN MEH-ley

Michael
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Kazbek wrote: June 11th, 2022, 6:19 pm
mightyfelix wrote: June 11th, 2022, 11:36 am I'm looking for someone who is knowledgeable in Greek to help me with this short snippet: https://archive.org/details/lostgodwithillus00bouruoft/page/n8/mode/1up That should bring you to the exact page I need help with. It's one of the introductory pages in this book. I'd like to know what the Greek text says and preferably how to pronounce it as well. I've just launched this project, and I don't know whether I will include this little line or not. But I'm hoping that you (whoever you are) can help me decide!
The contrastive particle δ᾽ indicates that it is part of a larger phrase, but I can't find it anywhere else. In isolation it is ambiguous. I would read it as "but neither one of my two brothers cares about the other", or possibly "but no one else cares about my two brothers". The grammar seems to me a little fishy in both cases. eh-MOIN ah-del-FOIN thah-TEH-roy doo-DEN MEH-ley

Michael
That's interesting, thanks. I wonder why just that phrase was pulled out, if it is so unclear on its own. I would guess it is taken from Plutarch. He relates an anecdote about sailors who heard the words "Pan is dead" coming from nowhere, and this is what the book is based on.
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

mightyfelix wrote: June 11th, 2022, 6:35 pm That's interesting, thanks. I wonder why just that phrase was pulled out, if it is so unclear on its own. I would guess it is taken from Plutarch. He relates an anecdote about sailors who heard the words "Pan is dead" coming from nowhere, and this is what the book is based on.
I'm pretty sure any phrase from Plutarch would have Google hits. Even those first words "emoin adelphoin" (to/of my two brothers) have never been used in searchable Greek texts.

Michael
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Could someone read the phrase "Biblische Mythologie" for me, please?

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Peter Why wrote: July 21st, 2022, 11:27 pm Could someone read the phrase "Biblische Mythologie" for me, please?
Here you go Peter:

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/german4peter.mp3
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks, Ava; that sounds fine.
Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
Vineymala

Post by Vineymala »

Hi
Need help to pronounce

“Ἐγώ εἰμι ἀναστάσις”

Guide au Musée de Boulaq,
:D
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hi Vineymala!

See if the Google Translate "Listen" function helps:

https://translate.google.com/?sl=auto&tl=en&text=%E1%BC%98%CE%B3%CF%8E%20%CE%B5%E1%BC%B0%CE%BC%CE%AF%20%E1%BC%80%CE%BD%CE%AC%CF%83%CF%84%CE%B1%CF%83%CE%B9%CF%82%E2%80%9D&op=translate

Whenever you press the speaker icon it alternates between normal and a bit slower speed.

If that doesn't really help, I can make you a more natural recording. :)
Vineymala

Post by Vineymala »

Rapunzelina wrote: July 23rd, 2022, 5:24 am Hi Vineymala!

See if the Google Translate "Listen" function helps:

https://translate.google.com/?sl=auto&tl=en&text=%E1%BC%98%CE%B3%CF%8E%20%CE%B5%E1%BC%B0%CE%BC%CE%AF%20%E1%BC%80%CE%BD%CE%AC%CF%83%CF%84%CE%B1%CF%83%CE%B9%CF%82%E2%80%9D&op=translate

Whenever you press the speaker icon it alternates between normal and a bit slower speed.

If that doesn't really help, I can make you a more natural recording. :)
Thanks Rapunzelina 😊
:D
cas4Gd

Post by cas4Gd »

Hi there. I was wondering if someone could help me correctly pronounce "Dummelow" author of "One Bible Commentary"? I would greatly appreciate it.
-Cindy
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Would some kind soul who speaks Latin, please record the following to help me muddle my way through it?
Nulli, de nulla parte, neque ullo
Tempore, inane potest vacuum subsistere rei,
Quin sua quod natura petit concedere pergat.
Omnia quapropter debent per inane quietum
Æque ponderibus non æquis concita ferri.
It's a quote from Lucretius in De Natura Rerum, bk. ii, vv. 235-40.

Thanks in advance! You can upload the recording to my MC folder...
Jo
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: August 12th, 2022, 12:34 pmWould some kind soul who speaks Latin, please record the following to help me muddle my way through it?
ha, you're in luck, only yesterday I did whole chapter of Latin text excerpts for my own solo, so I was already on a roll :lol:

here you are, first slowly word by word, then more fluent to make more sense of the sentence:

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/latin-jo.mp3

Disclaimer: obviously I'm not a native speaker :mrgreen: and there two or three scholarly approaches to how to pronounce Latin, I chose the one I am familiar with.

Hope this helps :)

Sonia
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Thanks Sonia. Very much appreciated. :D
Jo