I said, "Row!", and let's not have a row about it.

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Also: Only a Briton can rhyme again and rain. I don't even try when I record.
And some Canadians - the ones who use more British pronunciations. :lol:
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

TriciaG wrote: August 3rd, 2022, 4:08 pm
And some Canadians - the ones who use more British pronunciations. :lol:
Really? Wow.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

We were just taught at school that rain and again had what is called a "poetic license" - and to make it rhyme :D. So we did.

Anne
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

annise wrote: August 3rd, 2022, 4:49 pm We were just taught at school that rain and again had what is called a "poetic license" - and to make it rhyme :D. So we did.

Anne
Australians take a lot of poetic license. (Wink.)
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

In truth, I could listen to most Australians all day long. It's a very pleasant accent.
kristakz

Post by kristakz »

KevinS wrote: August 3rd, 2022, 4:04 pm
kristakz wrote: August 3rd, 2022, 3:40 pm
ChristopherW wrote: August 2nd, 2022, 12:49 pm

Or dove. "The dove dove."
Which leads me to ponder (again), the number of poets who seem to think love rhymes with rove, or prove. I have no clue how to make that work in a poem.
Ah! Those are eye rhymes ... and sometimes slant rhymes. (I use them a lot!) Call it a rhyme and you've got it made. And it really expands the possibilities of a poem. Otherwise we'd always hear June and moon and cat and hat.

Hmm. again/rain works perfectly for this Canadian :lol:
Reminds me of a children's verse I was reading to my son one day - until I discovered "carriage" rhyming with "garage". Took me months to figure out that particular pronunciation.
Krista
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

kristakz wrote: August 3rd, 2022, 6:30 pm
Hmm. again/rain works perfectly for this Canadian :lol:
Reminds me of a children's verse I was reading to my son one day - until I discovered "carriage" rhyming with "garage". Took me months to figure out that particular pronunciation.
Haha! What a funny world.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

ChristopherW wrote: August 2nd, 2022, 12:49 pm

Or dove. "The dove dove."
Which leads me to ponder (again), the number of poets who seem to think love rhymes with rove, or prove. I have no clue how to make that work in a poem.
Ah! Those are eye rhymes ... and sometimes slant rhymes. (I use them a lot!) Call it a rhyme and you've got it made. And it really expands the possibilities of a poem. Otherwise we'd always hear June and moon and cat and hat.

Some of this also has to do with the history and evolution of the language, and with when/where the poem was written. There are many rhymes from, say, Shakespeare, that we would consider slant rhymes, but that were true rhyme when he wrote them. Our pronunciations have shifted since then, and not uniformly. By the same token, there are plenty of puns that Shakespeare wrote that we miss entirely, because the words he was punning had the same pronunciation in his day, but not in ours.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

mightyfelix wrote: August 5th, 2022, 1:38 pm

Some of this also has to do with the history and evolution of the language, and with when/where the poem was written. There are many rhymes from, say, Shakespeare, that we would consider slant rhymes, but that were true rhyme when he wrote them. Our pronunciations have shifted since then, and not uniformly. By the same token, there are plenty of puns that Shakespeare wrote that we miss entirely, because the words he was punning had the same pronunciation in his day, but not in ours.
You're certainly right. And some of Shakespeare's pun were pretty risqué!
ChristopherW

Post by ChristopherW »

KevinS wrote: August 5th, 2022, 1:41 pm
mightyfelix wrote: August 5th, 2022, 1:38 pm Some of this also has to do with the history and evolution of the language, and with when/where the poem was written. There are many rhymes from, say, Shakespeare, that we would consider slant rhymes, but that were true rhyme when he wrote them. Our pronunciations have shifted since then, and not uniformly. By the same token, there are plenty of puns that Shakespeare wrote that we miss entirely, because the words he was punning had the same pronunciation in his day, but not in ours.
You're certainly right. And some of Shakespeare's pun were pretty risqué!
I wonder if pronunciation changed (perhaps during the Victorian era) specifically to "neuter" Shakespeare's more risque puns? :hmm: