The all-new "HELP! I have an Audacity problem" thread

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

melioradockery wrote: June 19th, 2022, 6:05 am I use Twisted Wave and I don't know Audacity. When submitting my last recording, to be compliant at no more than -19 dB, there seemed to be a varying method of measuring LUFS between the two, & my recording measured too loud for Librivox although it was reading compliant within Twisted Wave. Is anybody aware of that?
Here is what it says in Twisted Wave:
"LUFS (BS-1770, R128). This setting is similar to the previous one. The only difference is in the way the average energy content is measured. TwistedWave uses the recommendation ITU-R BS.1770 to compute a value more closely related to the perceived loudness, by attenuating the low and high frequencies before measuring the average energy content."
Apparently, Audacity uses "EBU R 128". I don't know what any of this means, but is anyone aware of this problem, and can you advise what my Twisted Wave should read (I reckon about -22 LUFS) in order to be compliant with Audacity?
Mel Dockery
Looks like someone just asked the same question (and was answered) here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=93321 :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
ShiNeko

Post by ShiNeko »

Hello! Is there a way to edit strong 's', 'sh', 'ch', so that they won't whistle?
~Anastasiia
Multilingual Monthly Poem like Weekly Poetry but for all languages🗺
Сборник рассказов Л. Андреева
"Кобзар" Шевченко several short roles: "Гайдамаки", "Великий льох" 🎭
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

ShiNeko wrote: June 30th, 2022, 1:53 am Hello! Is there a way to edit strong 's', 'sh', 'ch', so that they won't whistle?
You could try the de-esser plugin.
Female Scripture Characters by William Jay (1769 - 1853) 97% 1 left! "The Penitent Sinner Part 2"
St. Augustine (Vol.6 Psalms 126-150) 96% 2 left!
PL pls: DPL DPL 21 43 27-28
ShiNeko

Post by ShiNeko »

InTheDesert wrote: June 30th, 2022, 2:28 am You could try the de-esser plugin.
Thanks!
~Anastasiia
Multilingual Monthly Poem like Weekly Poetry but for all languages🗺
Сборник рассказов Л. Андреева
"Кобзар" Шевченко several short roles: "Гайдамаки", "Великий льох" 🎭
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Hello!! I do have an Audacity issue. I am attempting to edit one of many of my recordings to no avail. I get a dialog box when I try to "open" an already recorded file. It shows the following:
" Audacity did not recognize the type of the file, the file name here, try installing FFmpeg. For uncompressed files also try File<Import<raw data."
Here is where I am stuck & I ask for help on just how this can be fixed. It is 8:00 a.m here so as there are other things for me to do, please do not rush to answer my query though PLEASE someone, do answer.
April
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Would you tell us the full file name, please? ... including the suffix. And its approximate size (in case it's empty or corrupted).

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
loon

Post by loon »

April -
The program VLC can play almost any audio (and video) file. Open your file in VLC and then look in the Tools menu for 'Codec Information' - this may give you a clue about how the audio is encoded.

VLC is available for all the major platforms - https://www.videolan.org/

(Note: VLC does not play Audacity's .aup file format - it doesn't sound like the file that's giving you troubles is in .aup format.)
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Peter Why wrote: July 10th, 2022, 8:47 am Would you tell us the full file name, please? ... including the suffix. And its approximate size (in case it's empty or corrupted).

Peter
Hello,
The full file name: thecrystalcup_43_atherton_128kb
size of file: 100,140 kb

This is not a file that I changed to mp3. Hold on, shouldn't there be a different ending?

April
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Is it an Audacity file? What does your computer say is the file type? (On Windows, I think it'll pop up a little info box if you hover your mouse pointer over the file.)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

TriciaG wrote: July 10th, 2022, 4:36 pm Is it an Audacity file? What does your computer say is the file type? (On Windows, I think it'll pop up a little info box if you hover your mouse pointer over the file.)
Tricia,
Why yes it is indeed an Audacity file and it is a little box indeed. "Ffmpeg start up failed" is what the box shows. I so appreciate the two suggestions that people had posted for me though they didn't wipe out the issue. Do you have any suggestions?
April
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

loon wrote: July 10th, 2022, 9:17 am April -
The program VLC can play almost any audio (and video) file. Open your file in VLC and then look in the Tools menu for 'Codec Information' - this may give you a clue about how the audio is encoded.

VLC is available for all the major platforms - https://www.videolan.org/

(Note: VLC does not play Audacity's .aup file format - it doesn't sound like the file that's giving you troubles is in .aup format.)
Thank you, though as I can not open the file this seems beyond my capacity to understand just how this is supposed to help me. Thank you though.
April
April
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

adr6090 wrote: July 10th, 2022, 7:58 am Hello!! I do have an Audacity issue. I am attempting to edit one of many of my recordings to no avail. I get a dialog box when I try to "open" an already recorded file. It shows the following:
" Audacity did not recognize the type of the file, the file name here, try installing FFmpeg. For uncompressed files also try File<Import<raw data."
Here is where I am stuck & I ask for help on just how this can be fixed. It is 8:00 a.m here so as there are other things for me to do, please do not rush to answer my query though PLEASE someone, do answer.
April
Hi April! The message "Audacity did not recognize the type of the file [the file name here]" would show the full name of the file, including its suffix, whether .mp3, .aup, or .aup3 ? or is it something else? What does it say?

What version of Audacity are you running, and can it open other files without problems?
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Rapunzelina wrote: July 11th, 2022, 1:26 pm
adr6090 wrote: July 10th, 2022, 7:58 am Hello!! I do have an Audacity issue. I am attempting to edit one of many of my recordings to no avail. I get a dialog box when I try to "open" an already recorded file. It shows the following:
April
Hi April! The message "Audacity did not recognize the type of the file [the file name here]" would show the full name of the file, including its suffix, whether .mp3, .aup, or .aup3 ? or is it something else? What does it say?

What version of Audacity are you running, and can it open other files without problems?
Kb is the suffix.I can dpl someone else's work, not a problem as it is their mp3 file. I will look @ the Audacity version I am using next time I am on my actual computer. I have posted in this thread the actual words in the dialog box that pops up, please find it & stay in communication with me, I will not pressure you & will not be back on lv until tomorrow.
Thank you,
April
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

April,
If you use Windows and File Explorer, click View on the menu at the top of the Explorer screen. Over to the right, you'll see some check boxes: you need to check the "view file extensions" box.

This will show you what I called the file "suffix", but it's properly called the extension. For an Audacity recording file, it will be "aup", for a Microsoft Word document it will probably be "docx", for a Notepad file it's "txt", for pictures it will often be "jpg" or "jpeg" (so a picture might be listed as "flag.jpg") ... and so on.

I think that seeing the extension for your file should give us a better idea how to help you.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

In that error message box, it would show the full file name, so if in that message box it ends with just _128kb it probably doesn't have a suffix/extension and maybe that's the problem.

But April, please do what Peter suggests, to make sure.

If it still doesn't show a suffix/extension, then I would suggest to rename the file to add one (for example .mp3) at the end and see what happens :hmm:

In the meantime, to check the version: in audacity, go to menu help -> About Audacity... Mine is still "Audacity 2.1.2", but if you have the latest version, yours might be "Audacity 3.0.3" or so.
I think Audacity 3 and above uses the .aup3 extension.