Getting started

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
GusAmo

Post by GusAmo »

I am new to Librivox and have completed the recording tutorial, but now I am overwhelmed by everything and I am unsure as to how to find something to read that hasn't been done before, everything I can think of already has. Can anyone offer any help with this issue? It would be greatly appreciated.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

We have a book suggestions forum with literally thousands of books that somebody at some point found interesting enough to listen to, if there were but an audio version of it...

viewforum.php?f=1

It's a bit much to take in at one go, but you can use the search function on top left of the page to search the forum for something that may interest you.

And if you're multilingual, here's a thread that has (or links to) more suggestions in languages besides English.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16127

In any case, it's a good idea to begin by contributing to a group project before you embark on a solo. This way you'll learn how we do things here, and what the terminology is, and what's expected from our readers and other volunteers. And who knows, you may find a new author you like who has many more unrecorded books. :wink:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

It may also be helpful to note that you are not required to avoid works that have already been done. Many people prefer to add new works that we don't have, but if you really want to do version 8 of The Wind in the Willows (for instance) because it's your favorite, you absolutely may.

However, we do recommend strongly that before you start in to your own solo project, you should get some practice in group projects first. You can browse any of the Readers Wanted forums to find an open group project to contribute to.
Nammy

Post by Nammy »

Another question, but I'm not sure which part of the forum it should be in. Who does the dramatic parts in a play? I mean who tears it down into the Narration, Characters, etc., and color codes it? I'm guessing that it's whoever is in charge of the whole project.

I would be willing to help do that if it's possible. I did it for myself for my Toodle and Noodle chapter. That's a far cry from a huge dramatic project, but it was fun for me and completely unnecessary. I just wanted to do it for the fun of it.

I'm sure that's a huge job that can't be given to a rookie like me. I was just wondering if it's ever divided up among more than one person to do probably not. It is a huge undertaking, I know. Some of those dramatic projects are almost foreign when I read them. Just wondering, again! :roll: I still don't know who does what and may never understand!

Carol/Nammy
Some people think holding on is tough; sometimes it's letting go.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Typically, it's the BC of the project's responsibility to create the "scripts" for a dramatic reading of a book For actual plays, we just follow the original script.
Jo
Nammy

Post by Nammy »

I just now saw a response to this question. I don't know what happened to my notification, but that's OK. I've been here over six months, and I still can't find my way out of the Librivox paper bag that holds all the answers to my dumb questions. I'm just trying to help, but not doing too well at it other than reading.

I'd like to do a solo, but I'm not sure how to go about that. The ones that I'd like to do have already been done. I was thinking of Anne of Green Gables which I listened to on YouTube. However, the movie was somewhat different with a lot of different scenarios for Anne. Is it possible to find another version of it or something similar?

I don't want to repeat what's already done so I don't know how to find something then check this site to see if it's been done. Is that how it works? I can do that but was hoping of an easier way. What about Laura Ingalls Wilder, Little House on the Prairie series? Am I trying too hard or not hard enough?

Carol/Nammy
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Nammy wrote: June 28th, 2022, 12:17 am I don't want to repeat what's already done so I don't know how to find something then check this site to see if it's been done. Is that how it works? I can do that but was hoping of an easier way. What about Laura Ingalls Wilder, Little House on the Prairie series? Am I trying too hard or not hard enough?

Carol/Nammy
In general, I would say that most or all of the more "famous" public domain books have already been done. LV has been around for long enough that most of the best-sellers are already here. If I were you, I would start by searching through the Book Suggestions forum: viewforum.php?f=1 You can do it a few different ways. You can either browse the topic titles page by page until something catches your eye, or you can try searching the forum with a key word that you're interested in. You could try typing in "mystery," for instance, or "humor."

That forum exists for people to suggest books that we don't yet have. If someone launches one of the suggestions there, an admin will go in and tag it with [ADOPTED], so you'll be able to easily recognize the ones that have already been done. Of course, this is a manual process, and sometimes we miss one, but this is probably your best place to start.
Nammy

Post by Nammy »

Thanks for your suggestion! I realize what you're saying so trying to be original may not be an option. That's fine because I certainly have my own style as does everyone else. What appeals to one, doesn't always appeal to another.

I'll take your suggestion and try to find something I can sink my dentures into which btw, are in the sink! LOL The devil :twisted: makes me say funny things. People don't always find it funny, but oh, well... I know that's too much information. Perhaps, I should try humor. I don't think I've really done that...yet!

Carol/Nammy
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

There are other ways - you can go through the readers' wanted forum (the books, not the dramatic one) and pick up a section in one that looks interesting and read it. Then if you like the author's style etc you may be able to find other books by that author that appeal
ProjectGutenberg is a good place to look first - their texts are easy to read and they are almost all PD in the USA.
They have a number of ways to look, you can look by authors, and they have "bookshelves" that make searching more focused.

Anne